PDA

View Full Version : Knee Surgery Recomendations

UnderPSI
02-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I am going to have three more knee surgeries I was looking to see if anyone had work done on their knees and if any one had any reccomendations. Thanks for the help, Brad

94greenbandit
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
What type of recommendations are you looking for. Doctor recommendations or what???

T-Bag
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Real men do it themselves

Yooformula
02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Talk to Prince Valiant. chris is a physical therapist I think and the office he works for is really good. I went to Dr. Swenson and I was very confident in his approach. I elected to pass as mine wasnt severe enough, more of just an inconveinece and pain, both of which I can deal with. Dr. Swenson wasnt pressuring at all unlike some other orthos I have heard about.

Pantera99GS
02-10-2006, 04:00 PM
If you want the absolute best, check out Vail Valley Medical center in Colorado- that's where a LOT of athlete's go- there's a whole hallway full of NBA, NFL, NHL, olympians and whatever that have jersey's with words of thanks there. It's one of the top 2 orthopedic hospitals in the country and people fly in from other countries just for that place.

UnderPSI
02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I am looking for doctor reccomendations based off of personal experience. I am going to most likely get a total knee replacement. I wish this was the type of pain I could deal with but my knee dislocates quite often now and I don't want to deal with that for the rest of my life. Thanks for the help, Brad

BlueOvalBolt
02-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Dr. Jeffrey Butler is very good. He scoped my knee, replaced my dad's hip and replaced my mom's knee. He works out of the Medical Sciences building at St. Lukes.

supra213
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
For a total knee go to Dr. Bruce Faure. I work with him in surgery every week. See if you can get the depuy LCS total knee. Its the only knee that moves like a real knee.

theavenger333
02-12-2006, 03:12 PM
OHOW aka Orthopedic Hospital Of Wisconsin, a subsidiary of Columbia. its right off 43 between hampton and capitol. Dr. Bill Smith. my mom's been working for them for a LONG time.

theavenger333
02-12-2006, 03:15 PM
it won't let me edit my post, if smith isn't on you're insurance, there are a few other very good docs.

UnderPSI
02-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumbsup Until then I will just have to use my new Carbon Fiber cane. :) Wierd the things that get you excited when you can't walk normal.

pOrk
02-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumbsup Until then I will just have to use my new Carbon Fiber cane. :) Wierd the things that get you excited when you can't walk normal.

My guy Skip had a knee replacement about 12 years ago, and its still swinging as good as it was back then. His other knee recently went out, and he went back to the same doctor to repace that one. I will do my best to get a name or number for you, the guy is GOOD.

UnderPSI
02-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks

Big Boost
02-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Brad, what's up fella? I would check with Dr. Bill Pennington. He works at St. Luke and he's an orthopedic surgeon. If he can't assist you, he'll point you to someone who can.

You should grow a mullet until the surgery is complete.....

UnderPSI
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I just got a Flippin hair cut yesterday.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Avenger recomended him first...Dr. Bill Smith is THE BEST when it comes to these types of cases in which very complex management such as yours (young guy already looking for a knee replacement) is required. He offers more options than most any surgery, including some of the newest prothesis (including the new HEMI knee that he help develop...no lie, that's what we call it)...in your case, you want someone who can offer the full array of options out there from osteotomies (might be best for a young guy like yourself, but many surgeons don't even perform the procedure), to 4-5 different types of prosthetics, instead of the surgeon who does 1-3 different type of procedures and will have to make a less than ideal solution fit.

Swenson is an excellent surgeon too...but he'd be the guy in this area I'd have do an ACL reconstruction and sports med stuff. There are many highly regarded surgeons in the area, but most of the most difficult cases end up being seen by smith eventually, unfortunately as revisions from other docs.

supra213
02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I have worked in surgery with both Dr. Smith and Dr. Swenson in addition to the many other surgeons that come to the hopital I work at. Dr. Smith and Swenson are excellent surgeons.

Dr. Anderson is another doctor you may want to consider. Dr. Anderson does a lot of minimally invasive surgery (in addition to revisions and other types of orthopedic surgery), where your incision is much smaller than the standard incision and there is less trauma to the quadriceps muscle. He also uses navigation. Navigation is where a computer, that works like GPS, tells him if the cuts he makes are perfect and the knee is alligned properly.

Granted I don't know about your past surgury, but if it where me, I would still go to Dr. Faure for my (Depuy LCS) total knee.

Poncho
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Brad, what's up fella? I would check with Dr. Bill Pennington. He works at St. Luke and he's an orthopedic surgeon. If he can't assist you, he'll point you to someone who can.

You should grow a mullet until the surgery is complete.....

I'll second Dr. Pennington. He'll point to to Dr. Joel Walskog. Pennington was booked and had Walskog remove 1/3 of my lateral miniscus and do some cleaning up last Feb (2/17/05) One year later my knee is freakin' bionic. Better than it was before, no pain and stronger.

UnderPSI
02-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the help I will be making some phone calls today.

saleenclone
02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
i had a scope done by butler , never healed right then i went to doc . hinrick he deals w/ the bucks and brew crews injeries and it fells alot better

Prince Valiant
02-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I have worked in surgery with both Dr. Smith and Dr. Swenson in addition to the many other surgeons that come to the hopital I work at. Dr. Smith and Swenson are excellent surgeons.

Dr. Anderson is another doctor you may want to consider.....Heh, I run with Dr. Anderson every monday and wednesday. Great guy, funny as hell. He does do some neat procedures too...the boston globe recently did a feature on some of the procedures that he does, particularly with hips.

All three of these guys are my bosses since I work for their private practice.