PDA

View Full Version : What Enclosed Trailer would you get?

y2kws6
02-06-2006, 06:24 PM
20 Foot or 24 Foot Enclosed?

This will be currently for the TA (Show car) but eventually possible race care.

For those of you that have trailers what advantages and disadvatages are there out there?

I know that I am going to want a beaver tail with a possible extended lip and it will be a 10K capable trailer.

I have heard:
Electric tongue Jack
Leveling/balancing kit (weight distribution)
48" side door
many types of tie downs
Spare attached to tongue

Dan

Crawlin
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
24'

Honestly, I like the cabinets at the front of everything and with space for certain tools and pit bikes and etc.. so a 28ft is what i'd like best. but out of your pickings, a 24' like I said.

GRNDNL
02-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Don't even think of anything smaller than a 24', anything shorter will be really hard to sell down the road.

You need 5,000lbs axles (6 lug wheels) or your trailer capacity will be less than 3,000lbs.

A spare tire well in the floor of the trailer is the hot set-up, mine is in one of the cabnets, thats ok. On the tongue mount a box to hold all your hitch stuff.

You'll need a brake controler (Tekonsha Prodigy is the best), Weight Distribution Hitch and some kind of Sway Control (plan $750-$1000)

I've got a diamond plate floor, looks cool but is a pain in the a$$ to clean/sweep.

Winch mounted along the wall with snatch block on the floor to winch the car in/out, if you race you will need it sooner or later, I always winch the car in/out.

Electric Jack is nice if your old and lazy....(Like Me :D)

For tie downs some good ratchet straps (not farm fleet stuff), a set of axle straps and some T-hooks.

A half ton truck won't cut it at this level, you need something with some wheelbase, weight, big brakes and E-Rated tires or you will end up upside in the ditch sooner or later.

Al
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Bigger is better.

GTSLOW
02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Bigger is better.

Ya, definately go with the longest you can afford :D

Crawlin
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
A half ton truck won't cut it at this level, you need something with some wheelbase, weight, big brakes and E-Rated tires or you will end up upside in the ditch sooner or later.

Yeah that Avalanche might become a problem if you are doing consistent towing and long hauls. The tranny's from what I've heard aren't exactly the best for that consistent towing. 2500 Avalanche or maybe even a 1500HD. I wish I could afford a diesel Excursion, hha.

jbiscuit
02-07-2006, 09:01 AM
20 Foot or 24 Foot Enclosed?

This will be currently for the TA (Show car) but eventually possible race care.

For those of you that have trailers what advantages and disadvatages are there out there?

I know that I am going to want a beaver tail with a possible extended lip and it will be a 10K capable trailer.

I have heard:
Electric tongue Jack
Leveling/balancing kit (weight distribution)
48" side door
many types of tie downs
Spare attached to tongue

Dan

You are gonna start trailering the car to shows?
:wooo

GRNDNL
02-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah that Avalanche might become a problem if you are doing consistent towing and long hauls. The tranny's from what I've heard aren't exactly the best for that consistent towing. 2500 Avalanche or maybe even a 1500HD. I wish I could afford a diesel Excursion, hha.

The tires and brakes are not enough on a 1/2 ton, even a HD 1/2 ton. Our Excursion is barely enough for my 28ft trailer, it needs more wheel base.....

Crawlin
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
really now? More wheelbase than the Excursion? That's hard to find. And see I haven't paid attention to much, but I thought that the newer '06 1500HD's got the upgraded brakes and suspension/frame. I know they got the 6.0's obviously, but forgot on the transmission.

GRNDNL
02-07-2006, 05:34 PM
really now? More wheelbase than the Excursion? That's hard to find. And see I haven't paid attention to much, but I thought that the newer '06 1500HD's got the upgraded brakes and suspension/frame. I know they got the 6.0's obviously, but forgot on the transmission.

A Short Box Crew Cab WB is 15" longer on a Ford than the Ex, really need a Ex Cab or CC long box to be safe, of coarse a Dually is best......I really miss our old Dually, don't miss the gas motor at all.....

y2kws6
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Truely Jacki wants it if we are going to travel with the car (Wolf TA) to long places, but she also wants it as a back up for RA and if I get into the real racing scene. So, I am not sure how much into it we want to get.

I have gotten some reports that the Z71 1500 Avalanche will pull the 24' just fine but an upgrade is in concideration.

Dan

GRNDNL
02-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I have gotten some reports that the Z71 1500 Avalanche will pull the 24' just fine but an upgrade is in concideration.

A loaded 24ft trailer will go 7000-9000lbs with a tongue weight of 800-1200lbs, check your vehicle load capacity, total GVW and rear tire load capacity.......

BAD LS1
02-08-2006, 08:00 AM
I pulled a 24 ft enclosed with a Colorado with a 3.5L I5!!! With my car it was about 7 thousand pounds... all the way to byron and back, 80 mph on the highways in 3rd... That was with a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes etc.. truck was only rated to tow 4,000 lol now i wouldnt take it through the mountains of kentucky and tennessee or nothing

An Avalanche will have no problems, my dad 05 Sierrra fullsize does it with realtive ease, i leave it in 3rd though because at highway speeds over drive is too low and has no torque, constantly down shifts. This truck struggles to keep 40 mph up steep mountains and such down in tenn etc... A diesel would be awesome for that.

Crawlin
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I got a question for you Keith... what is your Excursion? diesel or V10? I got a V10 here at the dealership that I'm wondering about getting, and I got a Silverado with the diesel through my dad's work that is semi cheap, just trying to figure if it is a first year duramax or a 6.5L turbo diesel. Supposedly it's a 2000, but my dad said duramax, so who knows.

JohnnyT
02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I got a question for you Keith... what is your Excursion? diesel or V10? I got a V10 here at the dealership that I'm wondering about getting, and I got a Silverado with the diesel through my dad's work that is semi cheap, just trying to figure if it is a first year duramax or a 6.5L turbo diesel. Supposedly it's a 2000, but my dad said duramax, so who knows.

Keith's Excursion is a Diesel. It's one badazz truck!

jbiscuit
02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I sense some jealously Johnny...are you? Wouldn't a Buick Park Avenue be better suited for you?

JohnnyT
02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I sense some jealously Johnny...are you? Wouldn't a Buick Park Avenue be better suited for you?

Shut up and go back to arguing over who has the better overpriced camera... :chair:

GRNDNL
02-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Mandys Excursion is a Diesel.......The V10s suck gas, I've heard 8-10mpg around town empty, I get 16-18 during the summer, 9-11 towing the trailer at 70mph.....

If that chevy is a 2000 it would be a 6.5 and the old body style. I wouldn't be afraid of a first year D-Max as long as they've done all the updates.

Crawlin
02-09-2006, 05:51 PM
alright... the V8 i drove out to Colorado was getting 14mpg at 90mph through Iowa/Nebraska and into Colorado. suprised me for that big truck

GRNDNL
02-09-2006, 06:13 PM
alright... the V8 i drove out to Colorado was getting 14mpg at 90mph through Iowa/Nebraska and into Colorado. suprised me for that big truck

If the price is right you'll be OK with a gas Ex. When I was checking on prices back in 03 the 02 Excursion Limiteds with a Power Stroke were $33-36,000 and the gas motor (V8 & V10s) were $18-20,000.....

Crawlin
02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
V10, 80k miles(i'm just looking for CHEAP) and maybe around $10k. it's a 2000 Limited, black with tan leather interior, 4x4, etc...

GRNDNL
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
If its 10k you can't lose on that deal, it will make a nice tow rig.....

Crawlin
02-10-2006, 01:04 PM
i honestly don't know how much, I have to see what we own it for before looking further into it. I know what it's online for, but have to look at our inventory sheet to see what my price would be. But anywhere around that would be a good deal?

DynoTom
09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
A 24 foot trailer is nice as it gives you some room inside to move around once the car is inside...

I would guess that the 24 foot is the most popular size in enclosed trailers....

This is a 24 foot TimberWolf trailer I used to have.

It had the big axles, inside light package, 8 d rings inside and some other options....

I sold it last year as I really don't plan on doing as much "car stuff" as I thought I was going to do, I will pick up a 18 foot open tilt car trailer in a year or so......