PDA

View Full Version : LT1 guys, edumacate me on them

T-Bag
01-30-2006, 05:42 PM
So I have an oppurtunity to pick up a 93 Z28, Slushbox with 112k miles on it from my buddy's mom for dirt. The car is in good condition, opti-spark was replaced, yada yada yada.

What maintenance stuff should I be looking at on this car? This thing is rarely driven (maybe 50 miles in the last 7 months) and I hate seeing it sit there.

Now I hear 93 is a speed density car, is it similar to the mustangs where I would have to convert over to mass air to make the thing worth a damn? If I did pick it up, what would be some good things to get rid of to make more space under the hood? This is going to be a fun car only, so I don't give a damn about AC or any of that other crap.

So where does one begin in the LT1 world, this is all new to me.

Big Boost
01-30-2006, 06:10 PM
You can check out these sites for starters.

www.lt1tech.com
www.ls1.com
www.fbody.com
www.camaross.com
www.z28.com

There is a ton of info regarding what mods are worth doing and which ones to stay away from (at least until a certain level of mods have been completed).

Crawlin
01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
i loved my '93 6-speed. I would pick that car up if i wasn't so concerned about a vehicle to tow my car with.

the '93's still have the "chip" in them and are the speed denisty. Most people are claiming they were the fastest of the bunch, but who knows how true any of that stuff is. they have the crappier optispark compared to the '95+ but can be converted.

you don't have to convert it to make it run right. My '93 went 13.3 with just a muffler, K&N, shifter/clutch, on a REAL street tire. The only mod really worth anything was the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. dropping fuel pressure from one run to the next netted me 2mph, and went back down when i bumped the fp back up. so it truley was the AFPR(i wanted to see how much it was worth).

sucky thing about this car compared to an LS1 is you need the 1LE a/c delete pulley(normally around $40 used) to get rid of the a/c. otherwise, there are a ton of things to remove. you can get just sparingly like Tom's SS with weight reduction, or you can get nutty with it like me:) haha. all depends on what you want to do with it. Fun car but keep it stock, or get serious with it. Cause for what I'm assuming YOU are gonna pay for it, it's a hell of a deal. I still want it, haha.

Chris

www.camaroz28.com was the best place for LT1 knowledge. I think it's the same place as www.camaross.com

there is also a '92-'93 LT1 specific message board for the speed denisty cars. Close knit group. I was apart of it on the ezboard they had back in the day and was a moderator. i think it's http://www.speeddensity.org/

number1
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Speed density, which if properly tuned, can have an advantage over the SEFI. They are also batch fire. Non-electronic tranny, 4L60. Check for rear intake manifold leaks, exhaust leaks, also any motor noise, LT1's are good for collaped lifters, no problem to fix, but will take out the cam. Hopefully they replaced the water pump when they did the opti, otherwise that would need to be done. They are strong motors, rear end on the other hand...

USMARINE1108
01-30-2006, 07:34 PM
there is also a '92-'93 LT1 specific message board for the speed denisty cars. Close knit group. I was apart of it on the ezboard they had back in the day and was a moderator. i think it's http://www.speeddensity.org/

I'm pretty good friends with the owner of that site. Good people.

T-Bag
01-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks...I'll keep this in mind

Im still deciding if I want to bite the bullet or get another bike. Chris buy it before I do, haha.

TransAm12sec
01-30-2006, 11:34 PM
What kind of bike do you have?

T-Bag
01-30-2006, 11:37 PM
What kind of bike do you have?
none right now, I had an F3 last year.

Crawlin
01-31-2006, 09:05 AM
I can't buy it, too much effort going into the black car right now and I'm looking to get a vehicle to two it with

Heat Seeker WS6
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Agreed with what Chris said. Chip from PCM4Less does a good job with proms when you start modding it. I yanked my A/C and got the 1LE delete pulley and pulled the egr & emmisions stuff off too. That with the tubular K-Mamber gave me worlds of space.
My tranny took 150K miles of abuse and the rear was still solid too. If the price is right go for it.

84hurst
01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Now that all of this is mentioned, I have a few questions myself. My '93 6 spd. has 132K, it runs fine and all but what are the symptoms of a collapsed lifter? Mine makes a lot of noise on start up, almost sounds like it's knocking a little bit, but when it warms up, it's fine. Also, It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of power under 2500 rpm. Once it passes 2500, it goes like hell, it'll light up the tires all through 1st. It's not too modded, only a Flowmaster catback, Hurst short throw, fireball ingition and a K&N CAI. Is this a sign of the opti-spark going? Overall, though, it has been pretty reliable, except for the cooling fans not working (fixed w/ a simple toogle switch). One more thing, when I bought it back in August, it came w/ a Hypertech chip, which I was told works, but it is set up for the wrong gear ratio (I have 2.73's), so I don't have it in now, but I thought that the speedo would run only on the speedo gear in the tranny. At least, that's what I thought, comparing it to the Hurst. Anybody familiar w/ the Hypertech chips? Also, if it is set up for the wrong rear end, I would be willing to sell it if anyone is interested (I can get the part # if needed). Also, does anybody have aftermarket ZR1 wheels, and if you do, have you been happy w/ them? I've been considering buying a set. Also, anybody selling a SS hood that would fit mine? I'm interested in picking one up this summer. One more thing, I promise, does anybody know what the factory tire sizes are? I'm not sure if my speedo is wrong or not. It has '98 C5 wheels on it now, 275/35/18 on the back and 245/40/17 in the front. By the way, I am the 7th owner, so who knows how it's been treated before me! I usually drive it pretty easy, let it warm up before I drive it, so I don't abuse it too much, but don't get me wrong, I'll race if I need to put a shi*t talker in his place. :devil But anyways, any info you guys can give me I would really appreciate. Thanks, Jeff. :thumbsup

Crawlin
01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I've heard you come down Arthur ;)

anyways, do you have the ignition box, or do you have the coil too? One of the best mods I did was replacing the ignition coil with the MSD blaster2 that was available. I had the MSD box later on as well. kept the car more crisp i guess you could say.

for the hypertech chip, i didn't know it mattered? I had the 3.23's in my 6-speed car. i put the chip in and the only ral benefit i saw was the raised rev limiter. i'd get rid of it and get a custom tune for what you have/want from the guys at the pcm4less or whatever.

stock tire sizes are 245/50/16 if i remember right.

84hurst
01-31-2006, 08:29 PM
I've heard you come down Arthur ;)

anyways, do you have the ignition box, or do you have the coil too? One of the best mods I did was replacing the ignition coil with the MSD blaster2 that was available. I had the MSD box later on as well. kept the car more crisp i guess you could say.

for the hypertech chip, i didn't know it mattered? I had the 3.23's in my 6-speed car. i put the chip in and the only ral benefit i saw was the raised rev limiter. i'd get rid of it and get a custom tune for what you have/want from the guys at the pcm4less or whatever.

stock tire sizes are 245/50/16 if i remember right.

I wouldn't doubt that you heard me, but the guy that works over at IA has a convertable SS that is almost too loud! Umm, I have just the Fireball ignition box, but I think I have an MSD coil now that I think about it. With the chip, I was told that the car ran completely different, but like I said, I haven't tried it yet, but maybe this summer!

Crawlin
01-31-2006, 08:40 PM
just try it. coulda sworn i've heard you get on it a couple times ;)

the white SS is Bob. He's good friends with one of th guys at Fast Times up on Lincoln Ave. Mike is the guy at Fast Times. He goes by MT98Z here on the board. But yeah, bobs car is really loud.

84hurst
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
just try it. coulda sworn i've heard you get on it a couple times ;)

the white SS is Bob. He's good friends with one of th guys at Fast Times up on Lincoln Ave. Mike is the guy at Fast Times. He goes by MT98Z here on the board. But yeah, bobs car is really loud.

Yeah, one of these days, if I have time!

SlowStee
02-01-2006, 12:33 AM
replacing the ignition coil is pointless unless it goes bad..bleh

number1
02-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Opti going out is usually associated with a stumble, or a high rpm miss. The car could be in the first stages of Opti failure. Also a coil will usually start to have problems when the car is warming up. I would check the CLT sensor in the Water pump; your car needs that to make a lot of fuel measurements. Collapsed lifters can make a knock sound when cold, and can take away power from the vehicle. Do you get any metal flakes in the oil? I would cut the filter apart and see if there is any metal in the filter media. Don’t assume the car is broken, but be aware if some out of the ordinary occurs.

84hurst
02-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Opti going out is usually associated with a stumble, or a high rpm miss. The car could be in the first stages of Opti failure. Also a coil will usually start to have problems when the car is warming up. I would check the CLT sensor in the Water pump; your car needs that to make a lot of fuel measurements. Collapsed lifters can make a knock sound when cold, and can take away power from the vehicle. Do you get any metal flakes in the oil? I would cut the filter apart and see if there is any metal in the filter media. Don’t assume the car is broken, but be aware if some out of the ordinary occurs.
I haven't noticed any metal flakes in the oil, but to be honest, I haven't really looked for them either. I have to do an oil change in the next couple hundred miles, so I'll make sure I hang on to the old filter and take a closer look at it. Thanks!

Crawlin
02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
replacing the ignition coil is pointless unless it goes bad..bleh

hmmm... let's see...

my LT1 car was plenty fine. started every day. no hesitation. just up top it wasn't feeling right. felt a little sluggish. spent the $50 on the coil... that thing rev'd right up to 6300rpm crisply and cleanly with no problems.

so for me, for $50, it was worth it.

might hav helped you beat Irish ;)

SlowStee
02-01-2006, 01:16 PM
hmmm... let's see...

my LT1 car was plenty fine. started every day. no hesitation. just up top it wasn't feeling right. felt a little sluggish. spent the $50 on the coil... that thing rev'd right up to 6300rpm crisply and cleanly with no problems.

so for me, for $50, it was worth it.

might hav helped you beat Irish ;)
If anything it will crap out your plugs faster....

or so Ive heard :)