PDA

View Full Version : Launching on nitrous???

TransAm12sec
01-23-2006, 12:55 AM
How does this work? Shouldn't the car be above 3,000 rpm or so before you use N20?

ThatWhiteCivic
01-23-2006, 12:58 AM
I launched with nitrous in a previous civic I had.... Just revved it up to 5000, dumped the clutch and make sure you're running big slicks BTW: 75 Shot

blitzkrieg
01-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Most cars use a wide open throttle switch. It activates the relays at WOT that are used with the solenoids.

Dennis

TransAm12sec
01-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Even though the car is at wot, I remember reading that you shouldn't use N20 below a certain rpm.

Crawlin
01-23-2006, 10:00 AM
they list the the air speed through the engine isn't fast enough until most normal engines reach 3000rpm. or something of that nature.

there are two ways of doing it.

1.) i would stall the car up to about 2800 rpm with the foot on the brake and then just release and nail the throttle all the way down and the wide open throttle switch would kick on and then the nitrous would flow. In the video of my car launching you can tell it's doing this because of the "double launch". The hesitation from on motor to the extra 75 shot i was running.

2.) on my car since it has a transbrake, i can wire up a window switch, along with a two step so I can hit the button, nail the gass all the way to the floor, have it come up to my set RPM and stay there, and with how it's wired, soon as i let go of the transbrake, the nitrous is activated and i'm already WOT and that part of the switch is activated. that's how my car will be this year since i never wired the transbrake up last year.

TransAm12sec
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Do you have the vid?

In this video, could the fuel solenoid have been stuck open? It says he was running a window switch.

http://www.spdkilz.net/Video-Audio/Corvette/James'Z06.wmv

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9311

BAD LS1
01-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Heh... all depends how balzzy you are... I religiously sprayed mine below 3k in 4th gear on hwy with the 100 dry shot. and you can ask Boss LX and CDW how it reacted LOL as i just about ended up in their lap. Its deff fun, the torque spike blew the tires away instantly in 4th at 35 mph.

But that is REALLLLLLLLLY hard on the motor, and thats part of the reason why cracked that piston. But if you gotta wet shot, dont spray it below 3k on a EFI car, it can bog and puff a flame back through an intake port and then you have technicolor intake removal.

Over 3K everything is moving so fast, the motor can accelerate as freely as it wants and less change of a bog/backfire.

Ive tried launching mine on that 100 shot, and it was usless through 3rd gear with the 335 drag radials, never tried it with the slicks.

Now it seems to hook better with the 300 shot, but again i gave it more pinion angle down on the torque arm, and set the front shocks on kill and worked OK. But that stock pistons couldnt take the hit from a 300 shot at each shift

SloFarmTruck
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
My experience with the farm truck was build on foot brake which was about 2200 rpms. floor it and hold on. I did this with anything from a 150 shot to a 340 shot. Only prob with spraying so much is its very hard on the driveline, when traction is good things break. It was deffinatly easier and safer to spray above 3000. I deff recommend an rpm window switch. just keeps things safer and more manageable. if you miss a gear or anything goes wrong the window switch can be an engine saver.

sloLs1
01-23-2006, 06:23 PM
i personally used it on one of my past saturns.... with EFI and saturns crappy flowing intake manifold i couldn't spray under 3000rpm and like stated above if you did it was an easy way to remove your intake manifold! I used a WOT switch that i mounted next to my floor shifter so i could control when it was spraying. It worked really good and i was spraying a wet 65 on a motor with 170,xxx on it :wooo !!! I had a video of a saturn blowing its intake manifold off on the dyno... if i can find it i will post it!

Nitrousedge
01-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello, new guy here.
Like said above, it all depends how balzzy you are.
With my last convertor, even on the transbrake I had to have my window switch set down to 2600rpm to launch on the sauce, never had any problems doing it like that. With my new convertor I upped it to 3000 because the rpms are never below that during a run anyway.

Eric

scottie K
01-24-2006, 03:42 PM
if you wana see what a 300 hit looks like goto www. outlaw10five.com goto vidoes and look at the one with the mustang almost creaming the wall

thats my car i left at 4000 rpm
you realy should leave above 2800 its easier on the lower end also prevents puddling and could back fire through exhaust or intake

If you need help theres enough of use to help you out

scottyk

Crawlin
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
if anyone knows how to launch on the gun, it's scottieK!!!!!!! everyone get their catcher's mit!!

TransAm12sec
01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't need help doing it, I was just wondering about the technicality of it.

Irish
01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.outlaw10five.com/videos.html :devil

Junky Giorgio
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Josh, love the new sig! ;)

WilliamZ
01-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Josh, love the new sig! ;)

Stay on topic ;)

Junky Giorgio
01-25-2006, 06:55 AM