PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 240 guys, screw the sr20 swap!

turbogarrett
01-21-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/240SXPics/HPIM0292small.jpg

I have seen a couple lsx 240's on the net with homemade mounts, sorta hackjobish. Hinson makes quality stuff. Looks like there will be PLENTY of room for some hairdryers in there, an ls7 etc, if only I could say the same about my rx7 :mad: . More pics and info in this thread http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=33444

Alright, who's got a clean s14 that I can bastardize!

nismodave
01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Ill keep my SR20. :D

But they are cool swaps, if you dont mind throwing off the balance off on your car.

This swap has been being done for years, a few guys in Cali with VERY nice ones done. Cars are running 10s. :thumbsup

Flicktitty
01-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Yea there is another guy on NICOCLUB.com that is moving to wisconsin that has a BB 396 in his 240sx have no clue what numbers it makes or what time it runs buy i'll keep with nissan power. Or maybe Toyota power :)

6L chevelle
01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Ill keep my SR20. :D

But they are cool swaps, if you dont mind throwing off the balance off on your car.

This swap has been being done for years, a few guys in Cali with VERY nice ones done. Cars are running 10s. :thumbsup

one guy on LS1TECH.com says his LSx motor swap in to his 240sx had about the same weight as the SR20, he said it handles as well as it ever did.

light cars with big motors will always be fun! :thumbsup

turbogarrett
01-21-2006, 06:31 PM
The ls1 swap is proven to add only 20 lbs. with a/c, emissions and power steering to a 3rd gen rx7 vs. the stock 13b twin turbo setup. My car handles the no differently after the swap,I doubt there would be much weight increase in the nissan.

After all the myths of a nose heavy, unbalanced car have been proven wrong, the die hard rotary guys can only argue that we have taken the "soul" from the car :rolf

nismodave
01-21-2006, 07:34 PM
I did some research and it looks like the fully dressed LS1 without tranny weighs the same a a Sr20det WITH tranny.

theavenger333
01-22-2006, 04:07 AM
I did some research and it looks like the fully dressed LS1 without tranny weighs the same a a Sr20det WITH tranny.
now there is a decent answer, kudos to dave on truely wanting to know something, and not being afraid to admit what he though was wrong.......

nismodave
01-22-2006, 08:37 AM
now there is a decent answer, kudos to dave on truely wanting to know something, and not being afraid to admit what he though was wrong.......

Well I did want to prove that the LS1 weighs more than a Sr20det.........Because you still need a TRANNY for the LS1.

Yooformula
01-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Yes but the added weight of the tranny wont be on nose so it really shouldnt throw off the balance too much. Is there anyplace lazy guys like me can just buy a turnkey car like those? The Hinson cars are totally badass but everytime I go to their site, they dont have any for sale.

turbogarrett
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah an lsx will weigh more, but I doubt those weights include a monster intercooler, all turbo accesories and stuff like external oil coolers etc. that is common on sr20 swaps. I don't know a whole lot about nissans but it's hard to compare dry engine weights online, I've seen lsx weights posted vary by as much as 100 lbs.

It's easy to drop weight from the v8- tubular headers, al flywheel,al driveshaft, lightweight pulley and removing emissions crap can save ~40lbs. Point is while the lsx car will probably be heavier, it probably will not be enough to ruin the balance and handling.

turbogarrett
01-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes but the added weight of the tranny wont be on nose so it really shouldnt throw off the balance too much. Is there anyplace lazy guys like me can just buy a turnkey car like those? The Hinson cars are totally badass but everytime I go to their site, they dont have any for sale.

They can do a turn-key car, but it will be pricey. Pick up an rx7, ls1 /t56 and hinson's mounting equipment and I'll give you a hand. Lot's of good info on this forum - www.torquecentral.com