View Full Version : New camaro!

97z2801ss
01-07-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2006/Q1/162006144750.jpg

yep

www.gminsidenews.com :banana :banana

wikked
01-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Looks like the Caddy XLR...eh it's decent.

Prince Valiant
01-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Have you seen the powertrain rumors? Here's what they are:

The upcoming Camaro, unlike the Pontiac GTO which will share the same platform, will feature an all-new line of engines from v6 to v8's. Using the latest in technology, these engines will eschew the typical musclecar rule of "no replacement for displacement" and use smaller displacement, higher specific output engines. Our inside sources reveal that these engines will be similar to the Northstar line of engines appearing in caddilacs, and less prolifically in the now defunct Oldsmobiles.

The base v6 is reputed to displace 2.8 liters, and produce somewhere in the neighborhood of 220-230hp with around 200 ft-lbs of torque. A v8 displacing between 3.7-4.0 liters and will likely produce 300hp and 260ft-lbs of torque. These engines will be mated to the all-new corporate six speed automatic, and a new generation six speed manual transmission. The new transmissions will feature aggressive gearing to off-set the likely curb weight of the camaro, which powertrain sources were informed to expect between 4100 and 4200lbs depending on options. It is rumored that the top engine might be the 469hp 4.4 liter supercharged v8 as it appears in the new STS-V since the engines are fairly similar to the all-new engines, or possibly a supercharged version of the all-new v6 or v8.

These engines will feature DOHC, Variable valve timing, variable intake, and a trick new cylinder deactivation feature for increased fuel mileage. Most importantly, these new engines should safely meet the next teir of emissions requirements and certification, something that the current LS based small blocks are reportedly having a tough time doing. What future ramifications this may have on the upcoming all new GTO, we are unsure (Our sources suspect that the platform will continue as the "Firebird" and move to the new engines).

Sources were quoted as saying "The upper management wants to focus on economy and emmissions primarily in the new upcoming cars and engines. Their focus studies show that performance is no longer important to the typical car buyer and are willing to sacrifice a little to obtain 29-30mpg out of a "sporty" model." Our sources report that the target performance for the v8 is 29mpg Highway mileage, 0-60 in under 7 seconds, and the quater-mile in around 15 seconds. The chasis will be tuned for maximum handling performance. "If they want traditional v8 performance and less than great mileage, they'll just buy a pick-up truck" our source quipped.

The all new engines, due to it's small physical size, will likely also appear in smaller, front wheel drive applications with diminished power outputs, and may also be available in the Colorado and Canyon twins after a scheduled platform update in 2009.

Code name for the all new engines family is the acronym AKCUS (pronounced similar to "access" and is likely to change), but the powertrain team has given it the latin name of cave fatuis, due to the important role these engines will have in determining the future at GM.From Detroitsecrectsauce.com (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/dallas59/Post%20pics/sucka.jpg)

No lie. :wooo

Yooformula
01-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh great...Vtec :wow :( :rolleyes:

theavenger333
01-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh great...Vtec :wow :( :rolleyes:
yeah, u know, cause Variable Valve Timing is such bad technology, giving you better power on demand, better mileage, as well as overall performance..... :rolleyes:

Cjburn
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
There is no way in hell they'd make the new Camaro slower than their turbo'd Solstice/Sky cars, period. I also have a hard time believing they'd ditch the LS series of V8's so quickly in this platform.

SlowStee
01-07-2006, 07:31 PM
There is no way in hell they'd make the new Camaro slower than their turbo'd Solstice/Sky cars, period. I also have a hard time believing they'd ditch the LS series of V8's so quickly in this platform.
agreed.

hrsp
01-07-2006, 07:40 PM
i heard it's gonna be an 6.0?

hrsp
01-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I think it looks great

Al
01-07-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm impressed with the 15 second 1/4 mile!!! It's like the new civic Si! Ha...a neon is faster :rolf

Another thing: I thought that the stock LS engines flew threw emissions better than an S2000!?

Greg@GLD
01-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey guys... As I type this, I am in Detroit in my hotel. Tomorrow I will be attending the North American International Auto Show as a member of Ford Media Services. (The public can't see the displays until next week)
I should be able to get some very up-close shots of the Camaro and Challenger concept cars and will gladly post them up for your viewing.

I can't wait!!! :D

d0nut
01-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Thats pretty damn good looking!

Keep an eye out for the new Cuda. Will they let you shoot pics and not bust your balls for sharing???

Hey guys... As I type this, I am in Detroit in my hotel. Tomorrow I will be attending the North American International Auto Show as a member of Ford Media Services. (The public can't see the displays until next week)
I should be able to get some very up-close shots of the Camaro and Challenger concept cars and will gladly post them up for your viewing.

I can't wait!!! :D

Greg@GLD
01-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I am 100% authorized to take any pictures I please, I have full access credentials.

They let the automotive press view the show this week and then the public next week. I am sure that before I get a chance to even sit down and upload these, other media types will have them all over the web. :D

d0nut
01-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Just don't want to see you get in any trouble taking pics for a group of people that can't afford a new car anyways!

I am 100% authorized to take any pictures I please, I have full access credentials.

They let the automotive press view the show this week and then the public next week. I am sure that before I get a chance to even sit down and upload these, other media types will have them all over the web. :D

Yooformula
01-07-2006, 10:29 PM
You rock Greg!

Hey, Avengethis....I said that in regards to the ricer label that typically goes along with Vtec...focker!

pOrk
01-07-2006, 10:32 PM
They will never build a car like they used to, let alone style one so

SSmike1
01-07-2006, 10:38 PM
JUST GIVE ME THE LS7

505HP is about Enough.

:)

at Minimum, the LS2 at 400HP

Firefighter Z
01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Eh... The apperance of the Camaro I see now and that numbers it might put out, well lets just say I'll keep my 4th Gen...

If your not sucking gas, well then your not hauling azz.

Rocket Power
01-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Wow 15 sec 1/4's, that'll sell like the edsel :rolf

Prince Valiant
01-08-2006, 12:04 AM
meh..with the gearing, it should be quick enough. I'd predict at least 14.5@96mph out of these things.

d0nut
01-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey! The Edsel did spawn the FE engines (352,390,406,427). They went fast, just without an Edsel attached to em!

Nothin like a 58 Edsel Bermuda wagon with a 427 medium riser in Pink and white....

Sean

Wow 15 sec 1/4's, that'll sell like the edsel :rolf

nismodave
01-08-2006, 02:54 AM
That is almost as Ugly as the Camaros from 91+.

What a joke.

theavenger333
01-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Hey, Avengethis....I said that in regards to the ricer label that typically goes along with Vtec...focker!
but you ARE a ricer? besides, you can call me by my name foo.

Poncho
01-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Our sources report that the target performance for the v8 is 29mpg Highway mileage, 0-60 in under 7 seconds, and the quater-mile in around 15 seconds.

lol
are they on crack, we don't accept no less than a stock 13 flat car.

USMARINE1108
01-08-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't see GM putting a whole lot of $ into developing a new motor right now. They would be stupid to not use a LS motor. It's already a proven and loved powerplant by a lot of people. Not to mention keeping the cost of the car down. I would like to see the LS2 in the Z28, and LS7 in the SS.

USMARINE1108
01-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Have you seen the powertrain rumors? Here's what they are:

From Detroitsecrectsauce.com (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/dallas59/Post%20pics/sucka.jpg)

No lie. :wooo

That link dosen't work............Got another one?

loud91rs
01-08-2006, 12:52 PM
That is almost as Ugly as the Camaros from 91+.

What a joke.

:flipoff2: :chair:

naw i'm kidding i know nobody likes thirdgens :goof

Poncho
01-08-2006, 02:40 PM
:flipoff2: :chair:

naw i'm kidding i know nobody likes thirdgens :goof

third gens are better looking than 4th gens :thumbsup

Knyghtmare
01-08-2006, 02:52 PM
third gens are better looking than 4th gens :thumbsup
So true!

And this is for BIAS comments only! Keep the negative comments on the Nissan board only.

Reverend Cooper
01-08-2006, 03:51 PM
by the time it gets made toyota will own them and it will be a hybrid ha ha

Poncho
01-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Coops, thats a sweet a$$ looking car. how quick are they?? Any different than a regular GT? I heard they were gonna be just a body kit and catback a while back, before they were released.

Slow Joe
01-08-2006, 03:55 PM
by the time it gets made toyota will own them and it will be a hybrid ha ha

LOL That would be hilarious... Camaro Hybrid... :rolf

Reverend Cooper
01-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Coops, thats a sweet a$$ looking car. how quick are they?? Any different than a regular GT? I heard they were gonna be just a body kit and catback a while back, before they were released.
right now i run 12.93 at 109.3 bad 60 ft. all bolt ons no nos or blower yet yours aint to shabby either bro.

Poncho
01-08-2006, 04:24 PM
what specifically do you have done?? that seems quite a bit faster than a stock '05 GT or "stock" Roush. I've taken down both before, they appeared to be stock. But it looks like you'd give me a real whoopin'.

Reverend Cooper
01-08-2006, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=JudgeThis]what specifically do you have done?? that seems quite a bit faster than a stock '05 GT or "stock" Roush. I've taken down both before, they appeared to be stock. But it looks like you'd give me a real whoopin'.[/QUOTE
shorty headers,high flow catted front pipe,410 gears,cold air kit pullies and a 62 mm throttle body thats it

Poncho
01-08-2006, 05:29 PM
4.10 gears??? ouch. I'd hate to ride in that thing on the freeway with that T-5

Poncho
01-09-2006, 01:33 AM
whos the douchebag that gave me negative rep for my statement above? you're a real class act..

"You know nothing about gearing"

Oh ok dipshit. considering @ 65 a 4.10 geared mustang will turn a hair under 2500 and @ 80 nearly 3000rpm v.s. the stock 2000 @ 65 and 2400 @ 80, thats a big jump.

with 4.10 in my car I'd turn 1800 or so @ 65 and 2100 @ 80.

so whoever the cockbag that doesn't have the balls to leave a name, whats wrong with my opinion? the fact is, it'll be revving fairly high, burn gas and make noise.

thats revving pretty damn high. I mean it's perfect gearing for drag racing (assuming the new stangs have a 6500 redline), but... I had 3.69 in my GTP, and that was as high as I'd ever go on anything with only a .70 overdrive. (2800 @ 80)

some people are real asshats with NO justification whatsoever for all the stupid ass negative rep being thrown around. this is like some kind of retarded highschool. granted there are a ton of cool people, but I'm willing to bet it's the same people all the time tossing stupid bs negative rep for anything. the stupid rep feature does nothing more than annoy the hell outta me.

SlowStee
01-09-2006, 03:11 AM
whos the douchebag that gave me negative rep for my statement above? you're a real class act..

"You know nothing about gearing"

Oh ok dipshit. considering @ 65 a 4.10 geared mustang will turn a hair under 2500 and @ 80 nearly 3000rpm v.s. the stock 2000 @ 65 and 2400 @ 80, thats a big jump.

with 4.10 in my car I'd turn 1800 or so @ 65 and 2100 @ 80.

so whoever the cockbag that doesn't have the balls to leave a name, whats wrong with my opinion? the fact is, it'll be revving fairly high, burn gas and make noise.

thats revving pretty damn high. I mean it's perfect gearing for drag racing (assuming the new stangs have a 6500 redline), but... I had 3.69 in my GTP, and that was as high as I'd ever go on anything with only a .70 overdrive. (2800 @ 80)

some people are real asshats with NO justification whatsoever for all the stupid ass negative rep being thrown around. this is like some kind of retarded highschool. granted there are a ton of cool people, but I'm willing to bet it's the same people all the time tossing stupid bs negative rep for anything. the stupid rep feature does nothing more than annoy the hell outta me.
Wish I could say it was me

Mssplayboybunie
01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
The new camaro has no aggressive look whatso ever, the design is hidious The retro look of cars isnt doing it for me to boxy, whatever happened to moving forward with sporty looking cars such as the new vett :confused

Im not looking forward to the new trans am design if they so choose to go ahead with doing it over and if they do i hope its not retro, i thought the mustang was bad enough and as much as I seen them new ones around they still have not grown on me one bit.

97z2801ss
01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
There will be no new trans am... as far as the camaro they and the challanger were going retro but i think the camaro still looks alittle futureistic(sp)... not to retro and a higher roofline so tall people can buy them instead of mustangs..

Nix
01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
How in the hell cound you not like the the design of the 05' Mustangs?

That car is the best retro design that I have ever seen and Iam being totally serious. Those cars are bad ass. :thumbsup

PARALYZER
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I wonder how many changes they will make before the release. You guys do remember how "Cool" the G6 looked during that prototype stage too.

Yooformula
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
How in the hell cound you not like the the design of the 05' Mustangs?

That car is the best retro design that I have ever seen and Iam being totally serious. Those cars are bad ass. :thumbsup

AGREED! From the prelim pics I think the Camaro looks damm good as well right now. Well have to see what the production model looks like though.

GrimreaperSS
01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I think its a good start. A few things I would change to suite my likes better, such as the front grille area... Maybe not on such a steep angle, Roofline just a little higher. To me I think it will be like a 4th gen Firebird/Trans Am. I dont think a 93 is very good looking at all, but as it evolved, an 02 is bas ass. I understand that GM doesnt want to risk a retro design. They dont want it to be a fad for a 2-3 year span and then fall on its face (i.e. Thunderbird, New Beetle, P.T. Cruiser). I am a Huge GM guy, especially Chevrolet, But as it stands right now, if you showed me the keys to either the Challenger or the Camaro and said you have to pick just one.... It would be the Challenger.
So many of the cars from the '60's and early '70's had great designs.. Chrysler just knew not to f*ck with a good thing too much. I think GM made the Camaro just a little too futuristic for my tastes. They should have modernized a first Gen for todays world. More like the Mustang or Challenger.