PDA

View Full Version : "testing".....the dreaded e word

jon_we4
01-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Crap that comes up fast.

So, say I had a car that had a tiny bit of a cam lobe to the exhaust note... and say the car didn’t technically have 100% legal exhaust. And say I am up for testing.... my experience has been pick a suburban testing center (like greenfield) and go 20 min before closing on a Saturday and in my experience the kids don’t really seem like they care at that time and there is no wait.

So, I might have to bring the car up for testing or I will be lucky and get the extension like I used to on my GN.

The car will pass OBDII no questions asked, I just am wondering how some of you go for testing. I figure if they start poking around to just say a shop did all the work and they never mentioned this or that.

Anyone know how the Racine and Kenosha stations are?

Yooformula
01-05-2006, 10:30 PM
When I drove mine in twice within 11 months, it passed each time. For anyone thats been near my car, you could probably torch a shop with my exhuast fumes alone but anyway, if it doesnt throw a code, I wouldnt worry about it.

A B4C Z
01-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Went to the station right on hwy 100 down the road from Super America by Quad. No cats stock manifolds slp TOTL and 230 232 595 585 cam rolled in and passed with out a question or look.

Kyle

jon_we4
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
My cam is smaller and on a 114 LSA ... its just has a little bit of lobe and I have factory mufflers - its not really that loud.

Lets just hope I dont have to bring the car out of storage and 100 miles to at testing facility just to get my sticker.

And yes, this is important - if I loose this plate I am a full fledged FIB and it is something I can not accept.

fly5150
01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Or just pull up, say something is wrong with the Transmission, and request an Idle test. pass with flying colors. I've done it twice

quickcarl
01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I an getting an EVAP code on my silverado. Does anyone know someone who can "smoke" my evap system to find the leak(s) or have some type of programmer thingy (you can always spot an old timer-carburetor guy) to erase the code so I can take my emissions test?? :goof

Flight_740
01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I an getting an EVAP code on my silverado. Does anyone know someone who can "smoke" my evap system to find the leak(s) or have some type of programmer thingy (you can always spot an old timer-carburetor guy) to erase the code so I can take my emissions test?? :goof

What code number?

Either of these?
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

On a number of times I have seen it be as simple as a gas cap.

USMARINE1108
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Or just pull up, say something is wrong with the Transmission, and request an Idle test. pass with flying colors. I've done it twice

That's not a bad idea.

BAD LS1
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
The test station on hwy J in waukesha just south of 94, there a couple guys that work there that are big car nuts, and the one guy is actually a board member here, white z camaro...

I took my car there, passed the OBDII checklist with all flags in the green, idles so choppy you can damn near hear each power stroke and it stinks like an old school bus. Said here you go, it actually fast passed, gas cap is good, now make sure you do a HUGE hole shot when you leave!

If you get somone who is really suspicious, they might do a visual and obviously it wont pass that with no cats and other possible emmisions equipment missing in the engine bay thats listed to be there on the emmisions sticker underhood.

If they do a sniffer test, i think your doomed if it fails cuz it will have to pass that now before you can get the registration.

But 01+ cars are only allowed one test incomplete at time of testing, 96-00 can have 2 incomplete. Dont take your chances, make sure all those flags are green before getting it teted.

jon_we4
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Engine bay is clean - car came with no EGR or AIR and has its stock air box. Just missing the kitties .... thinking of playing dumb if they see those missing.