PDA

View Full Version : Do trailers need titles?

Al
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Do trailers need titles? There is one for sale on ebay right now and the guy says he never had a title. Also, tell me what you think about this trailer for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-ft-car-truck-tractor-flatbed-trailer-tandem-axleN-R_W0QQitemZ4601613111QQcategoryZ80769QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

portponies
01-02-2006, 07:11 PM
My car trailer (18' open) has a title, and needs registration also.

My small 5'x8' didn't come with a title (I bought it new from Menard's), and no-one ever said anything about it. But it does have a license plate mount on it.

Heat Seeker WS6
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Yep

Al
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
If a trailer lacks a title, how do you register it?

Slow Joe
01-02-2006, 07:29 PM
If a trailer lacks a title, how do you register it?

I think you can take them to the same Agency (Sherif?) that inspects totaled vehicles to see if they're road worthy after they're rebuilt to get a title... I know that neither one of our boat trailers have titles, and either does our enclosed, but it's a small enclosed trailer... My last trailer didn't have a title either, and that was a 4-Place snowmobile trailer (homemade).. And I never had any problems with the police on that one... so I'm not sure...

98whitegpgt
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I know when you buy an atv w/o a title, you can use a bill of sale to register it. You might be able to do the same with a trailer.

Prince Valiant
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't buy that trailer...doesn't appear to have trailer brakes, which is a requirement in this state (and a pretty good idea to boot) for anything over 3000lbs...your towed weight should pass this with ease when you consider trailer/car/equipment/fluids/gas.

Berettaspeed
01-03-2006, 12:51 AM
i want one of those trailer that you just put 2 wheels on for a car or truck and haul away to the drag track. those need plates too?? would those need brakes?

Slow Joe
01-03-2006, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't buy that trailer...doesn't appear to have trailer brakes, which is a requirement in this state (and a pretty good idea to boot) for anything over 3000lbs...your towed weight should pass this with ease when you consider trailer/car/equipment/fluids/gas.

Hrmmm then I've done more illegal things than I thought... LOL... :rolf

DCDZ28
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Straight from the WI DMV website...
"A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or under 3,000 pounds gross unless used for hire or rental. Title and registration is encouraged for vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin as other states' registration laws may be different."

You can also find more info here: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/vehicles/title/mobile-home.htm