PDA

View Full Version : Packers fire Mike Sherman

Neal Steffek
01-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Good. This is all I have to say. :thumbsup

Karps TA
01-02-2006, 10:53 AM
It's good as long as we then don't hire Mariucci or Childress. If we hire one of those turds, we might as well kept Sherman.

I hope they hire someone who has had nothing to do with the Holmgren coaching tree.

Scales
01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
the Holmgren coaching tree.

Cuz that tree looks pretty bad hey? :rolleyes:

Look at all the winning coaches that were under Holmgren!!!
Reid, Gruden, Mariucci... Sucks havin a winning season hey???

When I first read this, I thought it was a joke. Then I watched the live feed on packers.com...

All I have to say is you don't sell your car cuz it has a flat tire!!!

BlownMe
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Well, Farve said he wouldnt play for another coach so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Knyghtmare
01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Anyone who saw last night saw that A-Rodge was handed the reigns on the very last play of the game. Sure looked like the changing of the guard to me, so they could quite possibly have known Favre is gone anyway, but who knows. I honestly hope he stays another year.

hrsp
01-02-2006, 01:28 PM
if favre retires the packers are fukked... we need to hire martz!!!! i personally like his "high octane" offenseive approach

theavenger333
01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
never should have let sherman go, but when the GM job went to another guy, u had to know if Sherman's team struggled, he'd go. as for martz? you must be joking, that offense was based off a turf team purely on speed. it wouldn't work in cold weather for spit. need a running game again.

Jsho13
01-02-2006, 01:41 PM
if favre retires the packers are fukked

Its gonna have to happen sometime. Not saying I want him to go but if the Packers want to rebuild, Favre needs to go. I would love to see him come back for another year but after seeing the way he left the field yesterday, I don't think he will be comming back. Now Aaron Rodgers needs to step up, although I am a big fan of Craig Nall. Much better QB

Prince Valiant
01-02-2006, 02:46 PM
if favre retires the packers are fukked... we need to hire martz!!!! i personally like his "high octane" offenseive approach Martz is one of the worst coaches ever! He inherits a great team and promptly does nothing with them.

He has mini-controversy's every week.

His players don't respect him.

And should farve stick around, why have him learn a new offense in his last couple of years in the league?

Martz is someone who needs to just go to some small D1-AA school, and should never be heard from again.

Lash
01-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Its gonna have to happen sometime. Not saying I want him to go but if the Packers want to rebuild, Favre needs to go.

Well said. I just wish he could have had a winning season as his last.

Karps TA
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Cuz that tree looks pretty bad hey? :rolleyes:

Look at all the winning coaches that were under Holmgren!!!
Reid, Gruden, Mariucci... Sucks havin a winning season hey???

Marruicci succeeded when? Last I heard he got fired twice. Reid's won how many Super Bowls despite having the best NFC team for 5 of the last 6 years?

The Packers of all teams should know that sticking with the past does not work. See the entire 70's and 80's. It wasn't until they went completely out of the organization and hired Ron Wolf that success was brought back to Green Bay.

Ron Wolf screwed up hiring Mike Sherman and suggesting he could hold 2 jobs. Sherman was an even worse GM then a coach, which is pretty impressive. Sherman had no clue on game management, developing talent, and was to arrogant to ever listen to his assistants. He never out coached anyone. Rarely if ever had his team ready to play in big games. Completely thru out home field advantage. And made everyone else his scapegoats. Good Riddance.

Now maybe we can have a real miracle and draft someone in the first round this year that will make an impact on the team, instead of potential.

VroomPshhTsi
01-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Let's just wait and see how things play out: who we draft, who our next coach is, etc. It's too early to judge if this is a good or bad thing and way too early to start whining about it.

Badgers just upset Auburn, that was a great game to watch. I'm glad Barry Alvarez could leave with a win in his last game as head coach.

Now there's like 8 months of no football (Wisconsin teams that is), makes me sad :crying

Prince Valiant
01-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Marruicci succeeded when?
1997- 13-3
1998- 12-4

You could say that he simply had talent and experience given to him...because as the 49er's began to rebuild he went

1999- 4-12
2000- 6-10

So, did they get rid of him then? Nope...and they were rewarded with:

2001- 12-4
2002- 10-6

And they didn't do too bad in the play-offs either. Why was he fired? Because they're the 49er's and they are expected to go to the superbowl...and it wasn't like there wasn't any acrimony b/w the 9er's and marriucci. He tried to finagle an extension from the 9er's after going 12-4, but they wouldn't give it to them...almost immediately he went to detroit. And let's face it...most every coach eventually gets fired.

MOST of detroits problems, I'd attribute to millen...the dumbest guy in football. That guy has made idiotic moves essentially from day 1. The ONLY good move he made was getting steve.

Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing steve come to GB. I know farve would play for him as they are still buds...and certainly rogers is not ready yet. We'll see though.

nismodave
01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Favre retiring would be good for the Packers. Because he sucks.

Im tired of everyone making excuses for him.

Karps TA
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing steve come to GB. I know farve would play for him as they are still buds...and certainly rogers is not ready yet. We'll see though.

I didn't see Mooch as a guy who did anything with Harrington in Detroit. And Aaron Rodgers is Joey Harrington. Same guy. Millen made mistakes, but they still way underperformed for the talent they had. The offense has actually been pretty good under Jauron the last couple weeks.

Favre doesn't need a coach as his best friend. If he came back he needs a coach who isn't scared of him and will get on his case when he does dumb things.

And Favre doesn't suck. His WR's this year were beyond terrible. Besides Driver most of the time, they run terrible routes and never fight for the ball. Sure Favre made some dumb throws. He always has. But in the past he had WR's that actually wanted to catch the football. Not like Fergie who never even tries.

Personally I hope Favre retire myself, but it's cause the Packers need to move on. The team isn't going anywhere and I'd hate to see him on another 4-12 team. They have a ton of holes to fill next year, and that's even before you think about the 15 free agents of whom Longwell is the only one I'd make much of an attempt to resign. The line needs major help. They don't have a single RB I'd bring back next year. Defense needs playmakers in the worst way. And they have been so paper thin in backups the special teams has stunk.

pOrk
01-02-2006, 05:03 PM

:headbang

Cjburn
01-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Good riddance to Sherman, if Favre goes, well then it's his decision. Sherman was consistently out coached his entire time in Green Bay and never could make the half time adjustments that say a Holmgren was able to do. They need to rebuild their lines, since great teams are built up from the offensive and defensive lines, period.

hrsp
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
favre sucks? that makes alot of sense :slap ...i know martz's wouldnt work here but he's an OFFENSIVE GENUIS ..just not a great head coach..

HITMAN
01-02-2006, 06:50 PM

:rolleyes:

I totally disagree. I wish I sucked as bad at my job as he does at his. Favre's biggest problem is when things aren't working, he takes all the pressure to win on himself and he gambles too much to try and make things happen. That times the factor of nearly zero talent surrounding him usually equals interceptions and bonehead plays galore.

HITMAN
01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
i know martz's wouldnt work here but he's an OFFENSIVE GENUIS ..just not a great head coach..

Genius? Right. I've been hearing about Mike Martz' evil genius for years. I see that his evil genius got him fired this year. St. Louis must be blind to all of that offensive wizardry... :rolf

T-Bag
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't get why some think this was agood mvoe. Sherman had a good regular season record, and still does even after this 1 bad season. I would have liked one more year to see if he can rebuild, THEN can him.

slow85vette
01-02-2006, 08:53 PM

:thumbsup I totally agree with you.

hrsp
01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
do you watch football? the rams are always in the top five for offensive stats... he got fired because like i said he's not a great coach....when he was an offensive coordinator they won the superbowl and scored an insane amount of points..with some guy named kurt warner... you cant dicredit his offensive knowledge

Anakonda69
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM

by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard

theavenger333
01-03-2006, 01:32 AM
saying sherman was a bad coach is as stupid as saying Mooch is a bad coach, and saying Favre sucks is the worst one of all. sherman was a great coach, his record speaks for itself. was he a terrible GM? yes. did it take away from some of his coaching? yes. the packers continued to play hard all season, nobody can possibly overcome 18 players on the IR. over half of them being starters no less. i do believe that firing him was the wrong decision. as for Favre? same thing, the guy has ALWAYS thrown INTs. ALWAYS. least amount hes ever thrown i do believe is like 13 or 14. he goes for it all, which causes problems. this year, he's attempted more passes than ever before, which means he's gonna be forcing more throws. its just the way it is. the injuries killed the whole team. i don't really see who is a serious enough improvement at coach thats out there over sherman.

Jsho13
01-03-2006, 02:22 AM
i don't really see who is a serious enough improvement at coach thats out there over sherman.
Exactly

Karps TA
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Really guys name a time when you said "damn did Sherman have his team ready for this game" Name once. EVERY big game he lost. Playoff games the team always looked completely unprepared.

Secondly he has no idea on how to manage a game. How many times was the team down 2 scores with 8 mintues to go and he doesn't have the offense in a hurry up. But instead has a long 6 minute drive that eats up the entire clock and then puts pressure on his defense that didn't stop anyone all game long to get the ball back and then give Favre around a minute to go the distance for the win? And that wasn't just this year. The guy coaches with zero sense of urgency.

The guy has no personality or fire on the side lines. You'd think he was coaching a game a checkers. If anything he had a stupid blank stare whenever the game wasn't going right. Like he had no idea how to fix things. Teams are direct reflections of their coaches. And the Packers the entire time Sherman was coach had no personality beside Favre. Ever watch his tv show during the season? The guy is the most uninteresting person that I've ever seen talk. Can't see how he motivates anyone.

Assistant coaches couldn't stand the guy. Every coach that left had the exact same complaint. Sherman didn't listen to anything anyone else had to say.

His record was due alot to inheirting talent that he had nothing to do with. They could overcome his inabilities as a coach. This year is when he showed his coaching skills. People look at the close scores and think that means they were competitive. Look at who we lost to. Great QB's such as Dilfer, Harrington, Boller, Mike McMahon, Griese, Batch and Orton. These aren't exactly the juggernaughts of NFL QB's. They got swept by a coach most fans think is the biggest moron in the league in Tice. IF you would tell me that we'd play Pittsburgh without the starting RB's and QB, Philly without TO and McNabb, and Minn with Moss and Culpepper I would have done backflips. Instead we lost every game.

Sherman may be a good coach someday, but the guy needs a big healthy dose of humble pie and reality. He was given way too much too quick. People can blame TT for not helping him alot this year, and he didnt. But Sherman also had alot of his underperforming players on the roster who he got zilch from.

animal
01-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Man this thread sure does get short with all the posts on my ignore list. Heh.

I hope to door doesn't hit sherman on the way out.

jbiscuit
01-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I agree with Animal...I don't feel bad at all for Sherman. His future in Green Bay is measured in wins. He didn't deliver. Here's a box, go clean out your desk. Simple as that.

I too agree that Farve's career is over. He makes foolish mistakes and takes TOO many risk throwing the ball into triple coverage etc. He needs to walk away from the game and let a new kid step in to learn and grow with the team. Sorry to say it folks, but we are in for a few brutal seasons as we start from scratch.

Anakonda69
01-03-2006, 05:03 PM
this thread has become pure ignorance

theavenger333
01-03-2006, 06:11 PM
pretty much....... people like to argue on what they think, but no fact....

nismodave
01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard

Man Packer fans are just so sensitive. :rolf :rolf :rolf

Just admit your team sucks. :devil

Take a look at next year's schedule. http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10707

jbiscuit
01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
pretty much....... people like to argue on what they think, but no fact....

post some facts about what a great coach Sherman is then. :thumbsup :confused

wikked
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Sherman wasn't too hot with draft picks either... he drafts on potential instead of skill, and it aint workin.

animal
01-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Sherman wasn't too hot with draft picks either... he drafts on potential instead of skill, and it aint workin.

Well, I think that potential might be more of a factor than skill as far as the college draft is concerned. The step from college to professional is HUGE. Skill in college in no way implies skill in the nfl. It's easy to illustrate, just look at how many bust heisman winners there have been in the past. *Cough* ron dayne *cough cough*. I have my own person thoughts on reggie bust- er bush... but time will tell as it has with every draft pick ever.

Not to say he's a draft genious either. I'm of the personal opinion that a kicker or punter is never worth a draft pick because you can always find them. Hell we even got a bartender to do it this year, and he performed just about as well as any drafted punter I've seen lately.

My personal plan for the packers, as long as favre stays another year... Take aj hawk in the first round, and draft almost all defensive guys this year. If you still have favre one more year, I think you owe it to the fans, him, and the team to surround him with the best talent available. Do your damndest to grab T.O. and ricky williams in the off season. Both have their problems, and both, I think, can be had at a "budget". Then you keep ricky on drug rehab, and fly T.O. in on sundays. I don't care how much of a headcase he can be, it's hard to ignore TO's talent... and how do you cover him, walker, AND driver and not have ricky running up your ass? Obviously further injuries aside next year, with that offense, the o-line in it's second year together (they did pretty good this year considering), and a defense that's as stacked as the draft allows, we have a shot next year with favre at the helm. We were so close on so many games this year... a healthy, stronger offense can get the job done.

DirtyMax
01-04-2006, 01:14 PM
My personal plan for the packers, as long as favre stays another year... Take aj hawk in the first round, and draft almost all defensive guys this year. If you still have favre one more year, I think you owe it to the fans, him, and the team to surround him with the best talent available. Do your damndest to grab T.O. and ricky williams in the off season. Both have their problems, and both, I think, can be had at a "budget". Then you keep ricky on drug rehab, and fly T.O. in on sundays. I don't care how much of a headcase he can be, it's hard to ignore TO's talent... and how do you cover him, walker, AND driver and not have ricky running up your ass? Obviously further injuries aside next year, with that offense, the o-line in it's second year together (they did pretty good this year considering), and a defense that's as stacked as the draft allows, we have a shot next year with favre at the helm. We were so close on so many games this year... a healthy, stronger offense can get the job done.

I like how you think. It's far fetched but it's an awesome plan! :thumbsup

animal
01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I like how you think. It's far fetched but it's an awesome plan! :thumbsup

I don't think it's THAT far fetched. I don't think T.O. could drop any more hints that he likes favre without breeching some kind of contract :) And ricky, well, I think all dreadlocked guys have been on our team at one point or another besides him :)

I should add that with a head coach that actually knows how to call plays, it could make a world of difference as well.

wikked
01-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I have my own person thoughts on reggie bust- er bush... but time will tell as it has with every draft pick ever.

I still think he's gonna dominate in the NFL... Barry Sanders re-incarnated :)
We'll bring this thread back in a year :D

animal
01-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I still think he's gonna dominate in the NFL... Barry Sanders re-incarnated :)
We'll bring this thread back in a year :D

That's fine, and I will be wrong if he's a star.

animal
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.pissmeoff.info/pics/sherman.jpg

DirtyMax
01-04-2006, 02:34 PM
From what I've seen.... Bush has a tendency to run around the corner most of the time. That isn't going to fly with NFL-caliber defensive players... they're just sooo much quicker than most all of the college defensive players he's seen. He has yet to prove he can hit holes (like Barry) so his worth as an NFL stud RB is still TBD in my opinion. I do however think he'd make an excellent slot receiver and/or kick returner. He's not big (tall) enough to be a dominant flanker but he is built well enough for a slot guy.

u_say_go
01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
if favre retires the packers are fukked... we need to hire martz!!!! i personally like his "high octane" offenseive approach

yep!

theavenger333
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
post some facts about what a great coach Sherman is then. :thumbsup :confused
i have twice, not to mention others. his record,the fact that the team didn't quit this season, etc.......