PDA

View Full Version : 84'SS at Al's

PB86MCSS
12-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Trek to Al's in attempts to get a dash out of a Monte they have in the yard(someone f-ed it up so I didn't get it :( ) and there is a blue 84'SS right in front they just got in. I asked about it for parts purposes but they want to sell it whole at the moment, he said around $1,000 or so is what they'd like. Its pretty much complete, has some fire damage on the rear drivers side, melted tailight burnt paint and no rear window....maybe an ok driver? Might be more rust than is worth fixing, not sure. I took a couple other pics if anyone is interested.

http://members.aol.com/Tadowpaul/BlueSSAls

Burgandy85SS
12-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I also saw it today but unfortunatly thats about as far as I got cause they decided to close at noon and I couldnt get through the yard in 10 minutes.
I see they still have the Burgandy Grand Prix sitting up front, I may have to ask about it when I try back on Monday. Looks like a easy fix for me, although I didnt look too close.

PB86MCSS
12-31-2005, 12:52 PM
You must of showed up as I left ;). I took off just before 11:30...yea I saw the GP there, it was there last time I was at Al's too about a month ago or more. Looks pretty solid with only minor damage. I remember it had writing saying it was sold at the time but apparently not?

SSScottSS
12-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Paul, did you see any Regals or Cutlass's there that would have the upper radiator shroud for my electric fan's?

PB86MCSS
12-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Nope, didn't think to look for any recent additions to their collection though either....I'm always looking for those anyway knowing how desirable and cheap they can be had ;). If I see one I'll let you know though. I had a spare and sold it to Bob(Baboo) a couple years back.

Burgandy85SS
12-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Paul, did you see any Regals or Cutlass's there that would have the upper radiator shroud for my electric fan's?

Last weekend I went to Sturtevant auto salvage and they had 2 '87 442's , a '86ish Regal and a base model Monte Carlo maybe one of those cars may have something for you. Its right off the freeway just south of hwy K I think.

Burgandy85SS
12-31-2005, 10:36 PM
You must of showed up as I left ;). I took off just before 11:30...yea I saw the GP there, it was there last time I was at Al's too about a month ago or more. Looks pretty solid with only minor damage. I remember it had writing saying it was sold at the time but apparently not?

I saw it last time too right before the snow started flying and didnt think anything of it with the sold sign.
Just what I would need another damn car sitting at my house

GTSLOW
01-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Hmm it would be pretty neat to drop a built 350 w/ a t56 and beef the suspension up for a nice autocross car.

Does it run??

Dom87SS
01-01-2006, 10:01 AM
anybody up for a james bond mission.....i need doors and that front clip

PB86MCSS
01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Hehe....the doors are rusty, didn't verify how bad though. I'm not sure if it ran or not, didn't ask. I'd assume it doesn't if it has been sitting since 98'...but then it might be a minor repair too considering it was probably junked due to the fire damage. But if they are trying to sell it whole it might mean the title is good at least.

2 87' 442's at the Sturtevant yard? Hmm...how are their prices? Rear ends left in either car? Someday I want a Cutlass to build up and will want a gray bucket interior for it, maybe I'll start collecting parts now if I can :D.

SSScottSS
01-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Last weekend I went to Sturtevant auto salvage and they had 2 '87 442's , a '86ish Regal and a base model Monte Carlo maybe one of those cars may have something for you. Its right off the freeway just south of hwy K I think.

Perfect... I'll be stopping there this next week if I can. I'll check on rear ends for ya Paul.

Burgandy85SS
01-01-2006, 09:35 PM
If I remember both 87's hads rears in them. One car was blue and the other Black with burgandy and white vynil interior with MO MONEY or something embroidered in the headrest. Pretty rare interior first Ive ever seen.
There prices seem quite fair and there turnaround on cars is fast so get there soon.

Rocket Power
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
He had that interior done. In 85-87 442's you could get Claret (Maroon),Blue and Gray. Both ours have the Claret.

PB86MCSS
01-02-2006, 12:44 AM
I thought Mo Money embroidery was a rare option for 87' 442's :D.

Fast turnaround like Al's? Hmm, might have to try and get there within a week.

Rocket Power
01-02-2006, 05:52 AM
As pimpin as we Olds guy's are ...... :goof

Burgandy85SS
01-02-2006, 08:42 PM
He had that interior done. In 85-87 442's you could get Claret (Maroon),Blue and Gray. Both ours have the Claret.
I know that someone had the interior done
:durr
The turnaround seems to be faster tan Als.

PB86MCSS
01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmm...I'd also like the silver dash trim too, just in case I get a Cutlass to play with :D.

Burgandy85SS
01-02-2006, 10:22 PM
The silver dash trim is gone. I looked to just in case. The blue one had it when my friend with the 87 Salon was there then I went thinking it would still be there but someone got it.

SSScottSS
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I stopped at Sturtevant Auto Salvage today, and asked about the 442's, specifically if they still had the rear ends. They told me both rears are already gone. I wasn't dressed to go look at the cars. I wanted them to cut one of the rears out if they still had them.

PB86MCSS
01-09-2006, 10:47 PM
What kind of attire where you in? ;)

Figures they were taken quick....I didn't even bother to get there Saturday.

I went back to Al's this Saturday instead, the SS is still there where it was last week. They also just got in a speed-density TPI Camaro with some Enkei black crosslace wheels(similar to GTA's). If anyone is interested.

Rocket Power
01-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Do they have any SS's in the back with rears still in them?
I was thinking I may want to swap out the 2.29 rear in the Wagon if it was cheap enough. Since I am not planning on visiting the salt flats anytime soon I figured the 3.42 or 3.73 gear would be nicer. :goof

PB86MCSS
01-19-2006, 08:52 PM
;).

No SS's in the yard anymore except the fresh 84'....I'd guess the car/rear is still there...

68RR440
02-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I was at Al's about a week and a half ago and some kid in front of me counted out $800 cash for the blue SS, when I left he was cleaning the snow off of it while his buddy backed a truck with a tow dolly up near it, but I was there yesterday, and it's still sitting there in the same spot? Not a bad car for $800, I wonder why the kid backed out? :confused

Rocket Power
02-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Still there today too.
I went there looking for a column shift column for the wagon. No luck finding a decent one I could use.

Saw Memphis there. :thumbsup

68RR440
02-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I think I have a tilt column from a 77 ElCamino, column shift. Would that work in your wagon?
I know someone did a number on all the g-body columns out at Al's, looks like they are all torn apart for the turn signal cancel cams?

PB86MCSS
02-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I think theives practice at yards such as Al's, or I should say amatuer theives anyways :( :mad:. I notice g-body columns are usually broken in the same area, even if they aren't apparent theft recoveries. Interesting the SS is still there, maybe hes still going to get it? Is it in the same place complete? I contemplated getting the dash the last couple Saturdays, never hurts to have a spare :).

68RR440
02-04-2006, 11:35 PM
It's up front in the same spot as always, the trunk is open now. Lots of good parts on it, it apears complete. I'm going there on Monday, I plan on asking about it, along with the front end damaged 5.0 TPI Camaro sitting there.

Rocket Power
02-05-2006, 12:20 AM
77 is too old, but thanks anyway :thumbsup . I need a 82 and up ( wipers on column) G-body one preferably with cruise and delay wipers so I don't have to switch the stuff out.

Memphis thinks he may have one.

I must be the only one in the world looking for a column shift one :rolf
I have multiple floor shift ones, but I'm not ready to put the floor shifter in yet and I need to start driving the wagon because the wifes car decided oil wasn't the only fluid it will consume :goof

68RR440
02-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I got the skinny on the SS at Al's, the guys backed out of the deal because the title is stamped "junk", meaning the car can't be street driven legally, ever. I guess a "salvage" title is different, the car can be repaired, inspected, and driven legally. News to me. :confused

PB86MCSS
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Yea...I haven't heard of many cars being titled junk though, it varies state by state and that car had IL plates on it....didn't look to be a great builder but the rust wasn't horrible I guess. Would of been a good driver/beater with future parts potential ;).

The trunk was open when I saw it too....and that TPI Camaro was still in front too...guess they haven't moved much in the past month or so. I peeked under the hood and the alternator was gone on the Camaro but it appears to be a speed density car.

68RR440
02-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Norm at Al's said $800 for the red 305 TPI Camaro, not too bad, they have the front end parts for it right in the yard, just what I need, another project :rolf
Might be a "dumb question" but what is a speed density car? :confused

PB86MCSS
02-07-2006, 09:24 PM
90'-92' TPI is Speed Density, 85'-89' are MAF(Mass Air Flow). Different ECM and slightly different setup, air intake, etc. Many prefer SD but MAF is much nicer in that you don't have to burn a chip for every mod, it will adjust air/fuel on its own, to a point. JMO.

$800 is a good deal it appears, the car looks clean....salvage title?