PDA

View Full Version : Will the M-20 hold up??

JC70SS
12-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Need you opinions guys,
I will be building a 10:5.1 468 and I have the option of converting the car to a Th350 that is beefed up. I just don't think this Muncie will last long with this set-up. The Th350 I would guess with about a 2800 stall would be quite a bit quicker?? Your thoughts.

Prince Valiant
12-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Need you opinions guys,
I will be building a 10:5.1 468 and I have the option of converting the car to a Th350 that is beefed up. I just don't think this Muncie will last long with this set-up. The Th350 I would guess with about a 2800 stall would be quite a bit quicker?? Your thoughts.The muncie can last long...the gears themselves are strong, however, the casing needs to be brought up to snuff. There are aftermarket cases that are MUCH stronger and will hold any and all the power you would want to throw at it...and you can use all your stock parts now (gears/shafts/countershaft/ect). IIRC, they are ~ 250 bucks, so just to get the case, rebuild the tranny, and put in with a new clutch will still cost less than going with a suspect TH350 (good tranny...but you'll have to invest money to make it last behind a built 454) or a TH400 once you figure the cost of the tranny, the shifter, the throttle linkages, the torque converter, etc...AND you'll still have the advantage (MUCH lighter, less parasitic HP loss), simplicity, and FUN of a manual transmission in the end.

If you want to convert to an auto, I'd at least recomend going with a four-speed OD if you want to put up with the hassle (it's not hard, but if your going to do it, get some drivability advantage with those 4.10 gears). It's more expensive, but a better investment.