PDA

View Full Version : Bout damm time! Whoo hoo!

Yooformula
12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
I finally got my new center caps in. My old Boyd center caps were a pain in the arse to keep clean. Originally, they came with a stick on emblem over the cap that kept changing colors and the metal finish was not up par so I sent them back to Boyds for them to look at em. They sent me a billet set with Boyd Coddington inscribed into the cap for free!!!

Side note, I finally got my driveway free of ice so I can finally get my car onto the road again.....damm that was a long wait:D

Anakonda69
12-22-2005, 08:33 PM
you drive in the winter yoosef? guess i would too....just keep the car clean....nothing wrong with it.....

95 TA - The Beast
12-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey man, yeah those Boyd's plated caps are pure crap, I dumped mine ASAP as well...

I didn't want to spend money on the inscribed ones, as I was afraid the inscription would be just as much of a PITA to keep clean, so I ordered up a set of solid billet replacements that are totally blank... They look awesome and 'complete' the wheels... Only ran like $100 total for all 4...

Then I got the Furys refinished (ie no more curb rash), and spent 4 days polishing them inside and out by hand and they looked like jewels!!! :banana

Next came some new Nittos mounted on the back and went with some Sumitomos for the front (couldn't stomach the price of the Nittos for front-duty, and the Sumitomos have an almost identical sidewall look to match up nicely with the Nittos are they are only like $110 a tire)... One thing about the sumitomos, for a 275 width tire they actually look more like a 285 if not larger, they are fricken wide as hell...

I also did the proper spacing on things and have the right 'stance' now...

But, I quickly found out the Z06 stock pads dust like mad and the HPS Street compound on the back are even worse, so after less than 350 miles they are pretty bad again, which prompted me to do a ton of research I ended up getting a set of the ACDelco/Raybestos ceramics for the front and the rear...

Now I just have to find some time to pull the wheels, clean them up and then polish them out once more, put the new pads on and be done... I was going to do the Zoop-seal thing on them, but after talking to a bunch of Rodders that have tried it, it seems to be a hit-or-miss product in that it is far too easy to mis-apply and basically waste tons and tons of time trying to get it 'right', and most of those guys just end up using a decent polish and protecterant and call it a day... Figure once a month to do all four shouldn't be that bad really...

I have found the Mother's Billet polish to do an AMAZING job, but offers zero protection... So I already picked up a jar of the Meguir's NXT Polish to try, as it is supposed to have a protecterant built in and a few people say it works awesome given the 'monthly' ritual, where-as the Mothers Billet can look hazy after only a couple of weeks based on conditions and how often you wash them...

Yooformula
12-22-2005, 09:55 PM
I already gave up on Zoop seal. I picked up some slotted rotors and perf pads but the car sat while trying to get the wheel bearing off. So I havent had a chance to see if the pads dust more or not. I got new tires this past summer...Ricky at Mr. P's gave me a stupid deal on a new set of F1 take offs so I am good on tires. I finally got 275s all around and I like it much better that way, looks even.

I thought about the solid billets but I couldnt justify the cost for something that I could just replace for free. At the time, Boyd would just send out replacement decals but this time they asked for the caps back and sent out their new ones. VERY NICE BTW!!!!

I've been using Mother's Billet for some time now and it works great but as you psoted there is 0 protection from the elements. If I could someone order more of that green metal polish, I would be set. That stuff worked incredibly!!!

95 TA - The Beast
12-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Hmm, maybe I should see if I can send my caps back and get a set of thier 'signature' billets??? :D

Yeah, I am just hoping to find out some way to make it so that I don't have to do the full-on ritual every month... To do that right, as you know, it is like a 2-3 days event...

But man, don't those bitches just *BLING* *BLING* when your done!?!?! :wooo

Yeah I have 275s up front with 17x9.5" and 315s out back with 17x11"s... I also figured out how to make it so I don't have to roll the fenders, won't be cutting up tires and I won't be bottoming out either... ;)

You don't see too many cars around here with nice billets on them tho... Which is good for us! :headbang

Yooformula
12-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I wish I had a better camera but the new caps look tight!

Yooformula
12-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Hmm, maybe I should see if I can send my caps back and get a set of thier 'signature' billets??? :D

Yeah, I am just hoping to find out some way to make it so that I don't have to do the full-on ritual every month... To do that right, as you know, it is like a 2-3 days event...

You don't see too many cars around here with nice billets on them tho... Which is good for us! :headbang

Call them and ask for Greg or shoot him an email. GregG@billetwheel.com was kinda cool to see diane coddingtons' signature on the box and invoice. I got her autograph! :rolf

I agree about the cleaning time which is why most of the year they are a bit hazy...too damm lazy to polish em.

It is nice not seeing many billet wheels around town.