PDA

View Full Version : Any Quad employes?

hrsp
12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
i was hired today at the westallis plant...anyone work there? what do you think of it?

Teufelhunden
12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not an employee, but I do like the drag strip out back. :thumbsup :goof

Nix
12-20-2005, 12:38 PM
My younger cousin worked there about a year ago and stayed for a few months, he said the work was a ***** but the pay was decent. Also my brother worked there some years ago and if you dont have a strong back I would not recommend working there, and if you want back problems I would recommened working there. Then again my neighbor has worked there for over 30 years and he is set for life man, his pension is huge and he has it made when he retires, its hard work but I also hear its very rewarding if you can make it there long enough with the bs hours and hard work. I believe its like 12 hrs 4 on 3 off? Correct me if Iam wrong here but thats what it was last time I herd.

Silver350
12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
My younger cousin worked there about a year ago and stayed for a few months, he said the work was a ***** but the pay was decent. Also my brother worked there some years ago and if you dont have a strong back I would not recommend working there, and if you want back problems I would recommened working there. Then again my neighbor has worked there for over 30 years and he is set for life man, his pension is huge and he has it made when he retires, its hard work but I also hear its very rewarding if you can make it there long enough with the bs hours and hard work. I believe its like 12 hrs 4 on 3 off? Correct me if Iam wrong here but thats what it was last time I herd.

Depends on what you department you work in at Quad. I know I am an employee. We still do the 12hr shifts but I belive now production has the opertunity to work 8 hour days. I am not 100% sure if this started yet I know they were talking about it. You can get back problems at any job that requires you to do actual work. It comes with life.

HRSP. I work in Information Systems. I mainly take care of Telecommunications (Phones, running network and voice lines) I also take care of Computer support (secondary position) My boss is lazy and doesn't do much other than stare out the window or talk on the phone so most people contact myself about projects or installs.

I do work at the West Allis plant Monday thru Friday 7am to 4pm. I think West Allis is the best Quad to work for. There are a lot of managers here that stay out of your buisness and let you do your work with out being hounded. There are times when Quad Sucks but I have experiance that no matter were you work.

What Department will you be starting in? Scales also works at Quad in Finishing.

hrsp
12-20-2005, 01:03 PM
i'll be finishing... i'll be working 7pm-7am until the shift change

Rocket Power
12-20-2005, 01:07 PM
I used to work in Sussex in the Film library from 87-91, but then i got stupid and quit. I miss that job

Silver350
12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Well If you call reference line I will probally be the one to help

Scales
12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I work in Sussex Finishing. Been there 8 years now. We have the 12 hour rotation too. As far as I know, none of the Wisconsin plants voted to have the 8 hour days. The long days/nights take a bit to get used to, but you'll love having to only work half the year if you look at it that way. Plus whenever you switch sides of the week, (about every 3 months) you work either a 7 on, or a 7 off. Oh, and you don't lose any pay for that 7 off!! That means on top of your aquired vacation time, you'll get 3 paid weeks off just because of the rotation. I'm also on nights now. That can be tough but the plant is a ton quieter at night with half the people there and half the managers.

As far as the back problems, I agree those can happen almost anywhere. Granted you do have to somewhat be in shape to work in finishing, but they installed a lot of automation on the lines that takes away from some of the manual labor.

What I really like is the benifits package there. Since they have their own clinics in West Allis and Sussex, costs are cheap!! They cover 100% medical, vision, hearing, and dental. I think for a single person, you pay $8 a week for all that!! :wow

Don't get me wrong. It's like any job. Has it's good and bad points. But I think it's a good company to work for. If you put the time in, you can make some good money!

Hope that answers some questions. If ya got any more, post up or PM me...

nitrous
12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Silver350, I was just watching the clip in your sig and if you watch carefully, the guy (appearing to be on the right of the computer) reaches through with his right arm, but smacks him with his left hand.

:P I'm bored

blitzkrieg
12-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I work at the Quadtech plant. I have a normal shift, but our machine shop works the 12 hour shifts. I was really suprised that Wisconsin voted to keep the 12 hour schedule. Quadtech is a good place to work at.

Dennis

Teufelhunden
12-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Quadtech is a good place to work at.

Dennis Is this the "engineering house" for Quad?

Rocket Power
12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
What are they paying "ballpark" to start ?

blitzkrieg
12-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Yes, we design and build here. Quad Graphics is approx 40% of our business. The rest is world wide.

Is this the "engineering house" for Quad?

Scales
12-21-2005, 06:02 AM
No one in Wisconsin voted for 8 hour days, cuz none of us wanna work 5 days a week.

As far as starting pay, I really don't know. If I remember right, 8 years ago it was about $8.50/hour. I'd have to assume it went up since I started there...

Poncho
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
its up to $10/hr now w/ .75 night shift premium.

Quad is hell. Takes alot of getting used to. Entry level is pocket feeding and downpiling. Your feet and lower back will hate you for a while.

946speedz
12-21-2005, 09:32 PM
i drive fork lift in hartford, yeah it all depends on where you start and what you are doing, it was supposed to be just a bump in the road for me but now i cant get out of this place, i am still tryin to leave though, pay is decent, 12 hrs get easy after a while, people are nice, spanish is helpful :)

Poncho
12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
que?

Scales
12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Now that you mention it, if you know spanish and pretend not to know english, you can pretty much get away with not working hard at all. :rolleyes:

Teufelhunden
12-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes, we design and build here. Quad Graphics is approx 40% of our business. The rest is world wide. How long have you worked there?

scubastang
12-22-2005, 08:07 PM
quad graphics is one of my accounts that I maintain

IMO quad has many great employee ideas, but they are not my cup of tea even though its not in my field. Some workers like it, some hate it, but overall many I have dealt with are not the most ambitious so mediocrity is ok. They work you like dogs, pay is ok to poor but they like to fluff you up with all of their alternative benefits. It almost seems like many "fell" into the job, and its just good enough to keep you strung along.

btw tell the workers at the Wauwatosa loading facility they have an IQ equal to derrrr da derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :chair:

saleenclone
12-22-2005, 08:29 PM
i worked there for 3 years. i liked it but left for a better paying place but it ended up less $ after the bennis went up. i miss it ,i was in finishing . 1 1/2 at hartford 1 1/2 at westallis . 12 hours werent bad the bennis were kick a$$

Poncho
12-22-2005, 10:28 PM
it's also changed a ton since Larry Quadracci died a few years back. Quad was a better place to work for, thats for sure. Not that it's a terrible place, they just seem like they'd be alot better if there was somehow 8 hour shifts.

blitzkrieg
12-22-2005, 11:50 PM
and still counting.

How long have you worked there?

Teufelhunden
12-24-2005, 01:12 PM
and still counting.Do you know/remember Dan Krzyzaniak?

u_say_go
12-25-2005, 09:40 PM
I've been at Sussex in the finishing department for 13 years. Good place to work, met some of my closest friends there. You're right about the place changing after Larry died, a lot has changed and not for the better in all areas.
Good luck with the new job, stick to it. It's hard to get used to but worth it.

blitzkrieg
12-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I used to work with his ex girlfriend at my last job. The when he was at Quad I think he left after a few months.

Do you know/remember Dan Krzyzaniak?