PDA

View Full Version : Kong TRUELY IS King! My review

Prince Valiant
12-19-2005, 01:20 AM
**NO spoilers please**need to preserve the movie for those that haven't seen it**

I can only imagine the thrill it must have been to see the original "King Kong" in the theater's during the early 1930's. It was a time in which there was still the very real possibility that moderately large land masses had yet been discovered and explored. And surely these unexplored islands could certainly contain large wild beast such as dinosaurs. Heck, even though the lowland gorilla's had been known for about 80 years at that point, it was still only recent prior to the original "King Kong" that the mountain gorilla was discovered. To most at the time, the probability that a 30 foot tall gorilla existed, seemed very tangible.

This sets the stage for the original "King Kong". And while the viewer could clearly tell that the sets, the dinosaurs, and King Kong himself were absolutely not real, their imagination could fill in the gaps of what we didn't know or understand at the time and make it seem very real. Viewers at the time must have walked out thinking of the "what if's" and dreaming of adventures that could land them in a similar predicament. This is, in my opinion, is what helped to make the original "King Kong" such a blockbuster in it's time.

Of course, times are different now. We have the "Discovery Channel", "Animal Planet", and "National Geographic" to disseminate seemingly everything there is to know about gorillas and their habits. With time and modern technology, there are very few (if any) uncharted regions of the world. Bigfoot, Nessie, and a host of other legends notwithstanding, we can also be pretty sure there are no such large beast left on this planet such as dinosaurs and 30 foot tall gorilla's. This makes pulling of a modern rendition of "King Kong" very difficult to pull off with the same magic that made the original so special, but Peter Jackson does it.

Even if I was as eloquent as some are with words, I do not think I could even begin to describe the sense of wonderment that I left the theater with. While the original "King Kong" played on the first viewers in the 1930's lack of knowledge and let their imagination give them their sense of adventure, Peter Jackson creates a world that is all to easy to believe is actually real. The vision and attention to detail is nothing short of amazing. At times, King Kong looks as real as anything I've seen on any nature channel.

And special mention is accorded to Andy Serkis, who "plays" King Kong in the movie. He seemed to capture most, if not all, the little nuanced behaviors of a real gorilla. His movement, his mannerisms, his temper, and his humor made King Kong far deeper, and more real of a character than any movie I can think of that cam out in 2005. He truly deserves an Oscar for his role as King Kong. If you see this movie, pay attention to Kong's eyes. I promise, it will add another dimension of appreciation for this movie.

Get out and see this movie! While it's still showing on the premium screens with premium sound! It'll tug more heartstrings than "ol' yeller" ever did :goof

animal
12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Nice review. I'm still not sure any movie is worth $10 to go see it. But I'll be sure to queue it up on my blockbuster online when it comes out.

...this coming from the guy who paid to see "DooM" :goof

DoubleAron
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
How about the editorial in the Journal by James Pinkerton? :alcoholic :rolf :rolleyes:

wikked
12-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Meh... 3hrs! for a remake.
The only reason to go would be to see the eye-candy, as everyone knows the plot/what happens in the end.

It only made $9.8m opening day, and barely broke $50m for the opening weekend.
Everyone was predicting it would shatter all opening day/weekend records :rolleyes:

Renter for me, maybe :P

Karps TA
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Was the movie filled with close up head shots of each person staring, while looking concerned? If Peter Jackson would have cut those scenes out of the LOTR movies they would have been able to make them all into one 2 hour movie.

Personally I'm tired of CGI movies.

Prince Valiant
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
It had a LOTR'esque feel to it with the long set-up and journey...the first hour could have been shortened considerably. Once you get to the island though, things do pick-up nicely.

It is a film I encourage people to see on the big screen...it's almost madatory for to appreciate the full effect as there are some shots that it won't work on anything less than a 25 foot wide screen :goof

If you are one that doesn't have patience for a three-hour movie, this is unlikely to be the film for you. The length itself will likely detract from what is an amazing movie.

I wouldn't worry too much about the less than blockbuster opening it had though...the largest money making film of all time did FAR less in it's opening run, but then had the staying power and word of mouth propelled it to extended runs, etc (I'm talking about that horrid film, Titanic).

I've heard SOME people talk about how the film seemed too impossible to believe....which imo, is a silly critisicm considering the protaganist is a 25 foot tall gorilla! If you can accept THAT premise, then the rest should be easy believe.

I went to the 5'oclock showing...it was only 6 dollars a ticket :thumbsup

Teufelhunden
12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
How was Jack Black? I heard mixed reviews, some saying he stunk it up. Any thoughts on his performance Chris?

SlowStee
12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
it was a great movie, sad ending (truthful to what human Kind does to beautiful things)..

Definately worth the money and 3 hrs

Prince Valiant
12-19-2005, 06:33 PM
How was Jack Black? I heard mixed reviews, some saying he stunk it up. Any thoughts on his performance Chris?If someone is a FAN of Jack Black, they'll certainly like him...because he only plays one character, and one character only...and that's "jack black" (although he toned it down a bit)

As for me, I am NOT a jack black fan...but because he's more subdued in this movie, he still works. I'd basically say that he wasn't the weakest part, but he doesn't really add anything to the role he plays. He doesn't detract.

T-Bag
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I didn't even realize it was 3 hours. I thought it was a great movie compared to a lot of other crap that has come out recently.

hrsp
12-19-2005, 07:32 PM
movie was great whats not to like about a huge ape fukking **** up?

STEALTHZR2
12-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I had seen the movie Saturday.. It's was great. :headbang :headbang I might just go back and see it again. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
12-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I had seen the movie Saturday.. It's was great. :headbang :headbang I might just go back and see it again. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Myself, I'll DEFINITELY be going back :thumbsup

twicks69
12-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I thought the movie was fantastic. Definitely the best this year! Great cinematography and special effects. A little long being 187 minutes and all, but good character backgrounds and slow, but well done script and action sequences. The Skull Island action sequences were great with excellent special effects.

I saw it at the West Town Ultra Screen on bluemound. Definitely see it where there is a good screen and audio system to get the full effects!