PDA

View Full Version : Say GOODBYE to good gas anywhere in Wisconsin

nismodave
12-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Call your state senator now.

http://wfrv.com/seenon/local_story_349221025.html

LIL EVO
12-17-2005, 05:46 PM
So what. Everywhere local has it added anyways. It's always been good enough for me. If you want to go faster you should be using a 110 mix or something anyways.

nismodave
12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I tend to drive out to Johnson Creek or Lomira for good gas in my 240. I dont need 110 in my car. But the car runs better with the non corn gas.

I also notice my daily gets better milage when I fill up with non ethonol.

LIL EVO
12-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Yeah that's all true. Johnsons Creek is a good 45 mnutes away from me that's a couple gallons anyways to go and come back. Not worth the hassle to a lot of us.

Berettaspeed
12-17-2005, 06:07 PM
would this mean more counties would have to take emissions as well?? so no more umm how should i say it......registering the car up north for no more emissions?? it up there 6 months out of the year though.. you know.. its stored.

T-Bag
12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't know what to think about this matter, we've all been using it for the most part anyways.

It saddens me in a way too because I could get about 25 mpg on the freeway with the a/c blasting and 4 people in the truck with the gas up north. The stuff here I got around 21.

Oh well, no biggie.

penji04
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I have had better gas mileage coming back from my uncles house 3 hours north every time i use the non reformulated gas I do take into effect the way i drive , wind ect. Maybe I just get lucky?

Yooformula
12-17-2005, 07:02 PM
doesnt East Troy still have non ref gas? We used to take group rides out there to fill up first of spring.

theavenger333
12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
guys, for the billionth time, Reformulated gas has more additives for running clean than just ethanol. ethanol is used throughout the state already, has been for a long time because it ups octane cheaper. there are other chemicals that make the gas in the cities suck. they use ethanol a lot up north due to the vast farming. just look on the pumps. Iowa runs an 89 octane that is 60% ethanol, safe for all cars, i used it in 2 different vehicles, mine ran just the same under it.

Al
12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Because of the better octane yet lower energy characteristics of ethanol, I have been debating on putting some sort of heat exchanger on the intake of my integra. If I ran it off the coolant system, I could really improve my mileage. As we all know, most cars get better mileage during the summer when it is hot. If I can increase the temp of the intake air, I can increase the feul economy of my car. I'm thinking about putting a T on the coolant line to the radiator and running it to something like an oil or tranny-cooler-type radiator. The radiator will be in a custom housing where the lower air box once was (i did the poor-mans performance intake).

TurboAWD2.0
12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
As we all know, most cars get better mileage during the summer when it is hot. If I can increase the temp of the intake air, I can increase the feul economy of my car. I'm thinking about putting a T on the coolant line to the radiator and running it to something like an oil or tranny-cooler-type radiator. The radiator will be in a custom housing where the lower air box once was (i did the poor-mans performance intake).

Uhh... You were sarcastic, right? Lol I'll assume you were.

RedGSX
12-18-2005, 12:52 AM
guys, for the billionth time, Reformulated gas has more additives for running clean than just ethanol. ethanol is used throughout the state already, has been for a long time because it ups octane cheaper. there are other chemicals that make the gas in the cities suck. they use ethanol a lot up north due to the vast farming. just look on the pumps. Iowa runs an 89 octane that is 60% ethanol, safe for all cars, i used it in 2 different vehicles, mine ran just the same under it.

Reformulated is not currently throughout the whole state. Hence the mandating of reformulated gas for the state that just passed. Also, in my owners manual of my generator and lawnmower it says to stay away from reformulated gas due to it burns hotter.

Another funny thing is that now the gas tax isn't going to be raised every year but that "savings" just went out the window with this reformulated mandate due to it costs more to make. hehe Charlie Sykes on AM 620 has been raving on this for weeks. gotta love AM radio.

Cryptic
12-18-2005, 01:12 AM
doesnt East Troy still have non ref gas? We used to take group rides out there to fill up first of spring.

yes the Shell/Mcdonalds station

theavenger333
12-18-2005, 03:39 AM
Reformulated is not currently throughout the whole state. Hence the mandating of reformulated gas for the state that just passed. Also, in my owners manual of my generator and lawnmower it says to stay away from reformulated gas due to it burns hotter.

Another funny thing is that now the gas tax isn't going to be raised every year but that "savings" just went out the window with this reformulated mandate due to it costs more to make. hehe Charlie Sykes on AM 620 has been raving on this for weeks. gotta love AM radio.
did you read what i said? ETHANOL is run in gas everywhere. Reformulated gas has OTHER ADDITIVES THAN ETHANOL, which make it run the way it does. Ethanol has very few characteristics that make is a lower quality gasoline. the Reformulated gas that has been mandated in mostly large cities due to smog has other ingredients that produce less Co2 as well as Carbon.

DocDave
12-18-2005, 09:16 AM
So what. Everywhere local has it added anyways. It's always been good enough for me.

So you like:
- getting worse gas milaege
- making your engine run hotter
- having the fuel seperate if it is left for more than a few weeks
- having to clean the carburators on any engine you own because it F$%@s it all up

We have too many overpaid lawmakers with too much time on there hands and a bunch of farmers in this state that would like to see us go 100% ethonal based full. Welcome to Wisconsin, home of the overtaxed and overgoverned! :fire

nismodave
12-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Well Im going to call my Senator on Monday and tell her to vote against the bill.

Yes, Im going to do something about it.

PB86MCSS
12-18-2005, 10:08 AM
I've noticed my cars have gotten better mileage with non reformulated gas 100% of the time, 4-5 different cars and 3-4 different style engines. I always look forward to using the better gas when out of the emissions area and make a point to fill up then....guess not anymore, starting by the end of 06' :(.

T-Bag
12-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Well Im going to call my Senator on Monday and tell her to vote against the bill.

Yes, Im going to do something about it.

Good for you. Its nice to see people taking action for the things they believe in. :headbang

RedGSX
12-18-2005, 01:35 PM
did you read what i said? ETHANOL is run in gas everywhere. Reformulated gas has OTHER ADDITIVES THAN ETHANOL, which make it run the way it does. Ethanol has very few characteristics that make is a lower quality gasoline. the Reformulated gas that has been mandated in mostly large cities due to smog has other ingredients that produce less Co2 as well as Carbon.

I did read what you said and before 1995 MTBE was the primary additive in Wisconsin gasoline, but in 1995 6 counties were introduced to RFG (reformulated gasoline) which contained ethanol as the additive replacing MTBE in those 6 counties. From what I can gather MTBE is considered the "Good Gas" where as RFG has ethanol. Here are some sites... link 1 (http://www.epa.gov/mtbe/gas.htm) & link 2 (http://www.ilcorn.org/Ethanol/MTBE_Cases/mtbe_cases.html) that I found on RFG.

theavenger333
12-18-2005, 07:29 PM
you are partially correct. Ethanol, like i have been saying, is NOT the only additive. ethanol is a cheaper source of octane, and it burns cleaner. thats about it