PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Servo Install?

DirtyMax
12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
I have been hearing it is a cheap way to potentially increase the performance and, more importantly, the longevity of your transmission. I'm all for that with my truck. That being said...

What's involved in this mod? Is this something that is pretty straightforward? Pan need to come down?, Any special tools?, etc. I probably could read up on it but there's alot of idiots on the web who may steer a guy in the wrong direction. I'd rather trust you guys.

Thanks!!

PonyKiller87
12-15-2005, 12:36 PM
When my tranny was rebuilt 2 weeks ago I had them install one, I got it on ebay for like $20 I think, they would have charged me $50 at the shop. The 1-2 shift is noticably harder. At first it seemed like it was hanging up at the top of first before it would go into second which made for a neck breaking shift. I think that was just because my tranny cooler wasnt allowing it to get up to operating temp so it was acting funny. I threw some card board in front of it and now it works good. On dry roads it will easily chirp the tires going into 2nd now.

As far as the install, I read up on it and it seemed easy enough, take out a big snap ring, pull out he old stuff, put in the new stuff.... (you dont have to drop the pan) Then I got under the truck and realized that to do it I would have to drop all the skid plates and thier brackets, and most of the exhaust because its all right next to the spot where the servo goes in.

Im still undecided if I think its really worth it or not.

Syclone0044
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I had to remove the servo when I repaired my 2-4 band (as that's what the servo is activating) and with the tranny out, found it extremely difficult to get the cover back on so I could insert the snap ring. I eventually got the GM Kent-Moore "J Tool" and subsequently stripped some pan threads (residual damage from a bad tranny builder). After Heli-coiling the threads, I eventually got it in.

I hope if you do it with the tranny installed, that you either have the GM Tool or something else you can use for leverage. TCI used to have great instructions online (Google TCI instructions) but I can't find one for you on the 2-4 servo install.

SmokinRAM114
12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
i have the vette servo and the "4th" servo definatly shifts reallly hard. i think it was worth it but then again it hangs up 1st-2nd shifts at about 5400rpm and then slams real hard. the 4th servo stays in OD real nice.and my tranny when in N if u rev it sometimes kreeps.. i duno.. Kilpatricks? or just really tight duno..

junk mx6 no rly
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I found it easy to do just have to have patince and not get mad,dont have any big hammers by u might put a new dent in the car.But anyways yeah on my firebird i unbolted the crossmember with a floor jack under it and lowered it so tht the distributor was barley touching the firewall and worked from there the snap ring on the outside cover is a pain in the assi got a screw driver and moved the ring around first then i got a big C clamp and got it to push the cover in enough to gently pry the ring off and thats it pull the insides out and make sure you assemble them in the right order its really not that hard.I also did the boost valve on my car took 10 minutes went witht he .500 valve.ill find directions and post them on the servo install./

http://sethirdgen.org/servo.htm

there yah go got some good info too.I just looked over that right before i did the install last year and its still in my head. :headbang

PonyKiller87
12-27-2005, 08:44 AM
It seems like when the tranny isnt warmed up enough it hangs on the 1-2 shift. But once it gets up to the right temp it works great, shifts hard and fast.

Monstr913
12-28-2005, 12:22 AM
i got my tranny rebuilt at great lakes this past spring..i got the high energy bands 7 pack clutch and vette servo...told its pretty much the same as a vette 700r4(this may act different not being the 4l60e)...it hangs out 1-2 pretty far then rocks it into 2 then same from 2-3 and so on...if u really hammer on it...i got 35's on my burban with 4:10 and for being as big a b!tch as she is this tranny kinda throws the truck a lil more than b4 it got rebuilt...so i'd say the vette servo is worth the time it u want ur tranny to use its full potenical(yeah thats spelled wrong)..kevin could ur locker being makin it feel weird?