PDA

View Full Version : Oak Creek is building up pretty fast right now.

Firefighter Z
12-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Oak Creek is building up some good shopping and eating places on Howell Ave.

They just opened up Famous footwear and now their putting in a Cost Cutters, Panera Bread and JIMMY JOHNS in that little strip mall infront of the new Target. Theirs also a Quedoba (sp?) going up along with a Taco Bell and Long John Silvers thats just about done thats going up infront of the new ACE Hardware stripmall thats next to Delphi.

Theirs also rumors of a new Best Buy going up in front of Kohls across the street and a few other big chain stores and possible car dealerships. Theres also a Office Max next to Kohls that just opened also btw.

How do I know this? Well I cant say cause they are just plans and nothing is official, but they state that they want to build up Howell Ave with businesses just like HWY 100 starting from College Ave to Ryan Road along with some redevelopment of 27th Street (aka get rid of them Motels)

I gotta hand it to Oak Creek for putting it into high gear though, they know what they want and they want it now.

P.S. I think Howell Ave is definatly going to be a cruising strip in the near future

Korndogg
12-13-2005, 10:58 PM
already is a crusing strip for me....I live on howell :)

Firefighter Z
12-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Same here, screw Hwy a hundred

Yamahachick02
12-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Howell looks so weird to me now. I live in Oak Creek and I remember when it was just a small town.

Korndogg
12-13-2005, 11:03 PM
yeah i like the new changes but at the same time i dont. I miss all the fields and everything. I still live next to a field. I just hope they dont build overhere because a while ago they rezoned where I live to commercial.

Firefighter Z
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeah it sucks seeing feilds go, but thats progress... Im right across the street from a field thats behind Piggly Wiggly and I can always see ATVs and dirt bikes fly around through there during the summer and now i see snowmobiles racing through there. But i dont know if that area is zoned.

Cryptic
12-13-2005, 11:08 PM
yeah I just went through there saturday... Everything is exploding.

sloLs1
12-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Howell looks so weird to me now. I live in Oak Creek and I remember when it was just a small town.

Same here.... i have lived in OC most my life right off of howell.(now down the street from the new taco bell!) Imagine leaving for 3 months(like i have) and then coming back and seeing this!! i was in shock! i am coming back in 2 weeks.... can't wait to see the other changes!

Firefighter Z
12-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah it is, just like the kitty in the mircowave. LOL
I remember that little strip on Ryan road from Howell ave to 13th street the speed limit was 55mph but since they built the po po station they knocked it down to 45mph, I had some nice runs on that road LOL

theavenger333
12-13-2005, 11:12 PM
yah, the burbs do that, i remember mequon being small as hell, same with Franklin, Wind Lake area, etc. as for your spelling, you messed up the easiest one. its simply Qdoba

Firefighter Z
12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Darn and I was so close:( Now how am I supposed to sleep tonight? LOL :rolf

Junky Giorgio
12-14-2005, 12:03 AM
wow a jimmy johns going up across from target. :wow dayum, i wish i still lived at spring brook cercle apt's. off howel & puetz. lol

Slow Joe
12-14-2005, 12:58 AM
LOL, this sounds JUST LIKE Menomonee Falls... There's all kinds of **** going up around here... And out in Oconomowoc too... the burbs are growing as people push out further...

DirtyMax
12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
I was born and raised in OC too. It's nuts how much it's blown up. All the farm fields that surrounded my parent's house were bought up and now Belinski (sp.) has alot more land to build some more cookie cutter houses.

tenchu
12-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I lived in OC for most of my life, just recently moved, but i'm still there a lot at friend's houses or visiting my parents, its crazy to see all this new stuff pop up, best buy would be awesome.

I wonder how Juan's MexiCali feels about Qdoba going up? Hahaha.

DocDave
12-14-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree it's crazy how thing are progressing down there. Even companies that have been there forever, Hanna Trailer for example, are building new facilities. Crazy.

But...

Cruzin on Howell Ave. It will never happen, the Oak Creek police are probably reading this right now thinking of ways to stop it before it starts. You think you get hassled for cruzin the one double 'O' now, just try to do it in a community becoming popular for upscale housing. Not gunna happen.

Just my .02

Firefighter Z
12-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I dont know but I dont care for that place... the prices were outrageous and their menu didnt do anything for me.

Ill stick to taco bell... MMM beef gordita supreme yummy.

Firefighter Z
12-14-2005, 02:54 PM
OCPD can try but there not gonna stop it, it would be stupied on their part, if they did where would the city get money from?
I'll take Howell ave over Hwy 100 anyday.

BlownMe
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
OCPD can try but there not gonna stop it, it would be stupied on their part, if they did where would the city get money from?
I'll take Howell ave over Hwy 100 anyday.

Where would the city get money from?? How about the high ass property taxes? Oak Creek is definitely on the up and up. If you dont look around, a business will pop up before you even notice it. I remember when the Pick and Save on Howell and Puetz and the Mcdonalds on Howell were pretty much the only major businesses in that general area. There are definitely a lot of sub-divisions popping up too. I used to live in the apartments behind the Pick and Saveand there was actually a view from my apartment window and now there are apartments and all kinda stuff goin up.

Flight_740
12-14-2005, 03:18 PM
My fiancee graduated from OCHS in 02. She has lived there her whole life.

Rifleman WI
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
theres so many houses going up now.. in a few years there probly going to want a new high school.. when they finished the renovation my Sr. year it was still soo small...

Korndogg
12-14-2005, 09:51 PM

I graduated in 03 :)

i have lived in the same house my whole life....and my dad has lived here pretty much his whole life too...my house is over 100 years old lol. Actaully my family has been here since Oak Creek Started. If you look in the oooooold zone/plot books you can see my name. You know the map (their wallpaper) that is in the entrance of the culvers on howell? They got that from the book. My name is on the wall lol. The same wallpaper use to be in pick n save too but i dont know if it still is.

Yamahachick02
12-14-2005, 10:13 PM

I graduated with her. Is Nikki your fiancee?

DirtyMax
12-15-2005, 09:06 AM

I graduated with her.

Geez you people know how to make a guy feel old. :)

Anyone graduate in the NINETIES?!?!? :D

DirtyMax
12-15-2005, 09:13 AM
The same wallpaper use to be in pick n save too but i dont know if it still is.

Back by the crappers, right? It's probably still there.

I worked at that place in high school when it first opened. Someone mentioned they can remember when that Pick n' Save and McD's was the only thing there on that corner. How about before that when it was the old Sentry, and the pharmacy (name escaped me??), and the Variety store (Schultz's was it??)? Then Sentry moved across the street and that old strip mall was doomed. There also was no St. Francis bank of the SE corner of the intersection. It was a little tiny post office. Then on the SW corner, there was an old Hometown gas station.

I'm sure some of the OC'ers can also recall when the Community Center wasn't there. How about R/C Raceways behind Classic Lanes. I practically grew up there. It's now a body shop or something and before that it was a Dance studio.

Yamahachick02
12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
How about R/C Raceways behind Classic Lanes. I practically grew up there. It's now a body shop or something and before that it was a Dance studio.

I was their all the time when I was little with my brother (y2kws6). I still have my R/C car. I was always the one flipping the cars back over on the track.

Flight_740
12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I graduated with her. Is Nikki your fiancee?

:stare Ummm ok this is wierd.

How did you know? Yes, Niki M. And we will leave it at that.

396LOUDMOUTHSS
12-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Geez you people know how to make a guy feel old. :)

Anyone graduate in the NINETIES?!?!? :D
yeah, 98

Flight_740
12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey me too but it was from Mukwonago in 99.

wikked
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
'94 - Milwaukee Lutheran
effin kids :goof

animal
12-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Back by the crappers, right? It's probably still there.

I worked at that place in high school when it first opened. Someone mentioned they can remember when that Pick n' Save and McD's was the only thing there on that corner. How about before that when it was the old Sentry, and the pharmacy (name escaped me??), and the Variety store (Schultz's was it??)? Then Sentry moved across the street and that old strip mall was doomed. There also was no St. Francis bank of the SE corner of the intersection. It was a little tiny post office. Then on the SW corner, there was an old Hometown gas station.

I'm sure some of the OC'ers can also recall when the Community Center wasn't there. How about R/C Raceways behind Classic Lanes. I practically grew up there. It's now a body shop or something and before that it was a Dance studio.

Hell yeah I used to go get garbage pail kids from schultz's! They became that fireplace store for a while too I think. And I still remember those old ass automatic doors with the step pad in that sentry before they moved. What about the old fish store across the street, used to go there all the time too.

I even worked at that pick n save 3rd shift for about 2 weeks. Worst job I ever had, and I might as well have stayed home for the money I was (or wasn't) making.

DirtyMax
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I also remember when Erv's Mug wasn't overrun with a bunch of trendy yuppies. :chair:

HITMAN
12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Oh my, how far back some of you kiddies go... :rolf

You guy's think Oak Creek has changed for you? I was born in OC in 1960 and lived there for 36 years. You should see it from my old-assed eyes... :eek:

You guys talk about Schultz's. Heh, I remember when it was Drew's. I used to buy all of my car and airplane models there. The pharmacy (it is bugging me because I can't remember the name) was on the other (South) side of the old Sentry Foods. I remember when there was no library, the police station was in with city hall, the land that the vacant Sentry sits on was owned by the Hauerwas family, and they also owned the Texaco gas station on that property. Just north of the Texaco station was a Dog N Suds drive-in that everybody used to hang out at after football games. Sometime after Dog N Suds left, a crappy burger joint named Tastee-Freeze was built over near the old Sentry. That place was later sold to a Greek family and was renamed Georgie Porgie's. ;) The bank that occupied the spot that St. Francis sits on now was Marine Bank.

There wasn't any McDonald's in OC when I was growing up. We used to have to drive to Packard Plaza (Cudahy) to get McDonald's.

Further south on Howell ave. at Ryan Rd. was a neat little Italian restaurant named Cicerello's. It later became the Red Key, then Aggie's and now it's some Mexican place. The South-East corner of that intersection had a service station, (not Citgo, I don't recall who the owner was) and a burger joint named Barwick's restaurant. The South-West corner had Ola's grocery store. that building now houses Gary's Beer and Liquor, Georgie Porgie's, etc. The North-West corner of Howell and Ryan had a place called Donny's Supper Club. It later became the Oak Chalet, was torn down and is now a Walgreen's. :rolleyes: The spot that Erv's Mug sits on now was a place called The Dispatch House.

I also remember when Oak Creek was being talked about as a front-runner for the site of the new stadium, but the mayor at the time (some stupid ***** who's name escapes me) decided that OC was going to be strictly residential, and didn't need anything that would provide that much of a tax base. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you this much, if Oak Creek would've had all of this cool development when I lived there, I doubt I would have moved.

HITMAN
12-16-2005, 10:56 PM

i have lived in the same house my whole life....and my dad has lived here pretty much his whole life too...my house is over 100 years old lol. Actaully my family has been here since Oak Creek Started. If you look in the oooooold zone/plot books you can see my name. You know the map (their wallpaper) that is in the entrance of the culvers on howell? They got that from the book. My name is on the wall lol. The same wallpaper use to be in pick n save too but i dont know if it still is.

Korndogg huh? I knew a guy that had that same nick-name, but he graduated well before '03... :wow
Your last name wouldn't be Kornblum, would it? If so, is your dad's name Steve or Pete?

Korndogg
12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
nope..lol

Firefighter Z
12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
My grandma was born and raised in OC since 1926, she lived with her step dad that own a farm near Fitz Rd and S.Chicago. And she remembers it as dirt roads and farm land but I do remember her telling me stories that her step dad would store a few of Al Capones cars in the barn and then cover them with hay. Capone paid good money for the storing of the cars (cause of the convinience), but my grandma said evey time Capone came and got his cars that his body gaurds were strapped with tommy guns and shotguns and that she and her family would have to stand outside with the bodygaurds while Capone was inside talking to her step dad if anyone came poking around. And when Capone was gone somewhere in Milwaukee area that he'd leave 2 guys behind to watch the place to make sure my grandmas step dad didnt double cross Capone.

Capone would come up alot and sell alot of bootleg boose in the Milwaukee area though. I know a few bars in So.Milw that still have tunnels from bar to bar to house to house.

97PontiacW68
12-17-2005, 01:11 PM
yeah oak creek is sure different now from when i was there

97PontiacW68
12-17-2005, 01:12 PM
who is ur fiancee?

Flight_740
12-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Niki, she might not want her last name posted. I'll Pm ya.

Memphis
12-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I too grew up and still live in Oak Creek. Graduated 1991 and bought my first house here last year. I remember going into Drews all the time. There was also a small family-type video store just outside the north side of Sentry. I used to buy movie posters there. I believe the Pharmacy is actually the same on that is still in the Pick-n-save building...although obviously a bit smaller! The area where Blockbuster etc. is now used to have two small liguor stores there where we would go get ham and rolls every sunday. My grandparents and great grandparents have also been here since the beginning...also named on original plot maps of the area. They owned much of the 13th street area from around Rawson ave to Drexel ave and also back through the park just west of I-94 on Rawson. Back then, there was no I-94!! They actually had to have their house moved to its current location when the highway came through. The house my father lives in was my great grandparents and is one of the oldest in Oak Creek. They were farmers as was my grandfather...there are pictures of them in the fields in the history of Oak Creek book which came out a few years ago. I still have one of my grandfathers John Deere's from 1943!! :thumbsup I remember the Oak Chalet and the Red key, I also remember when there was still a farm where the theatre, Sportland, etc. is now. There was always a scarecrow in that field whenever the crops were up! Esch Economy (sells lawn mowers and was then called Esch Brothers) was in the building where Franklin Cart is now, Sportland was in the building where Esch is currently (27th and Drexel) and was called Oak Creek Motorsports. I remeber at least six different farms and more than that many old barns that used to stand proud in and around the city...all gone. :( There was no American TV, no McDonalds, no theater, no Burger King (There was a greenhouse and a bar on that corner...also used to be a bar in the far back corner behind Wendys and Hardees...I mean Wild Wild Burgers. The closest large grocery store was the pick-n-save on 8th and layton when that opened...which is now a large empty building. Although before my time, there was actually a race track in Oak Creek somewhere near the end of the old ryan road!! Yeah, Oak Creek is growing..and I beileve at a faster pace than maybe they can handle.

PB86MCSS
12-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Haven't been through OC more than a couple times in the past couple years but I think its growing about the same rate everywhere on the outskirts where the suburbs are. I know Muskego has been growing steadily since I was a kid(good pace, not over-done) and its the same most places I go(Falls, parts of Waukesha/New Berlin).

Mssplayboybunie
12-19-2005, 10:53 AM
OC rocks now with everything including 3 Starbucks in oak creek not bad :headbang even though I have to cut down with having a baby but Stonecold is good as well, beats having to go out on the hwy for stuff.

Firefighter Z
12-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Coldstone has excellent ice cream but its a little pricey but I guess thats what you get for a custom made ice cream.

I agree with you Jess, it does beat going 108 blocks for something... I cant wait to go to Penera bread, I've never been there before.

Flight_740
12-19-2005, 11:16 AM
... I cant wait to go to Penera bread, I've never been there before.

That place is just a trendy piece of crap to attract yuppies. To expensive. I spent like $13 for a half sandwich, soup, chips, and soda. The food was just ok. I could have made better at home.

Maybe Im just cheap. :stare :rolf

jbiscuit
12-19-2005, 11:22 AM
yea I agree, Panera is not worth the money.

97z2801ss
12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Yea paneras been out in brookfield forever, xpensive food, that isnt that great... but its cool when you know some1 that works at places like that or cold stone... I guess I really never had to drive far for starbucks or any of that.

animal
12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
yea I agree, Panera is not worth the money.

Yeah, and it's full of nose-in-the-air, soccer mom, minivan (with soccerball sticker) driving, offended-by-anything yuppie suburban b!tches that sit there all day and ***** to each other about whatever comes to mind, the whole time silently wishing they could get their triple chocolate, double latte ,whip cream ,mocha, caffiene fix, cappacino without going to the starbucks next door. BLEH. :mad: :fire :flipoff2: :chair: :guns1 :puke :flipoff: :punch:

That's why I'll never set foot in one.

... and yes "that's how I really feel"

wikked
12-19-2005, 12:12 PM
That place is just a trendy piece of crap to attract yuppies. To expensive.

Yeah, and it's full of nose-in-the-air, soccer mom, minivan (with soccerball sticker) driving, offended-by-anything yuppie suburban b!tches that sit there all day and ***** to each other about whatever comes to mind...

Yea, Starbucks is :gay

...Oh wait, you meant Panera? :rolf

I dont mind Panera once in a great while, but I never have and never will go to Starbucks :chair:

Flight_740
12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Yea, Starbucks is :gay

...Oh wait, you meant Panera? :rolf

I dont mind Panera once in a great while, but I never have and never will go to Starbucks :chair:

Yup that too. Speedway has good coffe for $.98

Firefighter Z
12-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey I aint complaining when I get my starbucks for free.
I hate the speedway coffee, for .98 cents you get what you paid and you cant get it re-made if you dont like it the way it tastes.
Starbucks the other hand, if they made a drink and you didnt like the way they made it. They'll make another one for you plus you get to keep the first drink you had.

But lets not make this into a coffee war now LOL!

I cant wait for JIMMY JOHNS to open though, They have excellent subs, Cousins and Subway just isnt doing it for me anymore plus they take to long to make. One time at cousins I waited 15mins for a ham n' cheese sub and I was the only one in they place yet they still manage to fugg it up.

97z2801ss
12-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Jimmy johns over played thoe too... but I will admit they are a good late nite snack sometimes

davidrab
12-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I was going to make a sarcastic comment about my property taxes going down
due to all the new buisness in Oak Creek, but I just got around to looking at
them and..............down 4.5%. A bit of a surprise.

Dave

Mssplayboybunie
12-21-2005, 10:17 AM
property tax in South Milwaukee went up dramatically most people are paying $4,000 or more, less if you own a semi decent home, but still south milwaukee has no business whatso ever everything closes. Without Oak creek next door don't know what i'd do.

DirtyMax
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
property tax in South Milwaukee went up dramatically most people are paying $4,000 or more, less if you own a semi decent home, but still south milwaukee has no business whatso ever everything closes.

EXACTLY. Someone has to pay for that new High School. Maybe with the new Pick n' Save, hopefully, SM will be saved. I checked online and my old house in SM has taxes of just under 3000 2 years ago and now they're 3400. :wooo

Firefighter Z
12-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Just to let you know that the tax payers had to pay 9 million dollars to Pick N Save for them to build here. Everything like freezers,registers, anything to make a store a store was payed by the tax payers of SM. Remember $9,000,000.00.

While Oak Creek didnt pay a dime for the Pick N Saves they have now.
Hopefully SM will be annexed (sp?) to Milwaukee because SM is a sad, sad town. I feel embarrassed to live here with the crap their building.

nitrous
12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Yup that too. Speedway has good coffe for $.98

:headbang

Their cappuccino is awesome, too.

nitrous
12-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I drive down Howell Ave. to go to school. That place definitely is starting to look like a mini 76th street.

Memphis
12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
The pharmacy was...and still is actually...Marquette Pharmacy

V3rtigo
12-30-2005, 04:40 PM
actually id say that howell is getting close to 76th but i doesnt have a mall yet...