PDA

View Full Version : question for Engine tuners??? (topstreet, Bee)

sloLs1
12-06-2005, 07:52 PM
I have an '05 EVO and i was wondering if i can tune cams with it??? I was looking at a set of hks or buddy club 264 intake and exhaust cams. so far i have full exhaust and an intake on it. i will also be adding a boost controller and if i do decide to go with cams i will also need a set of larger injectors( 560cc's just not good enough!)... So would i be able to tune cams and larger injectors????? one last thing... i know Topstreet suggested a AWD dyno near milwaukee but i can't remeber the name. I will also need an AWD dyno if someone knows of one! Thanks for the help!

EvolvedRegal
12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
What type of engine management are you using? If you want a great set of cams go revolver. I will have these cams put on while in florida and then will be selling my 264/272 hks cams. FYI the AWD dyno is closed down.

Here's my theory on the Evo. Cams are a must, granted you give up about 200rpms of spool time to make a lot more power on the top end. You can run stock injectors on 264/272/280 hks cams, you will be at near 95% IDC though, about 98-99% in the winter months if you don't turn down your boost. What are your future plans with the car? This will save a lot of time and money in the long run. Take a look at maftpro.com I have this system on my car right now and it runs perfectly running speed density and the cold weather car starts right up. If you want any more info I am more than glad to help.

tenchu
12-06-2005, 08:07 PM
What type of engine management are you using? If you want a great set of cams go revolver. I will have these cams put on while in florida and then will be selling my 264/272 hks cams. FYI the AWD dyno is closed down.

Here's my theory on the Evo. Cams are a must, granted you give up about 200rpms of spool time to make a lot more power on the top end. You can run stock injectors on 264/272/280 hks cams, you will be at near 95% IDC though, about 98-99% in the winter months if you don't turn down your boost. What are your future plans with the car? This will save a lot of time and money in the long run. Take a look at maftpro.com I have this system on my car right now and it runs perfectly running speed density and the cold weather car starts right up. If you want any more info I am more than glad to help.

KJ Closed? Like, for the season, or for good? Isn't there one in Chicago?

twicks69
12-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Darn...two others beat me to the punch -- I guess I type really slow :thumbsup

The AWD dyno that you are referring to, is no longer here -- KJ Auto is gone along with the AWD dyno.

The next closest AWD dyno is at AMS (Automotosports.com) in Arlington Heights, IL. They are approximately 90 minutes away from Milwaukee. (E-mail me for directions)

How are you going to tune the vehicle? Are you using a piggy back controller like an Apex'i Super AFC, or a Power FC, a rom tuned ECU, etc.?

To maximize the power potential of the parts you are installing on your vehicle, I would reccomend researching which piggy back controller or standalone ECU would best suit your needs, then start pricing them and ask people for feedback on those particular tuning tools, along with information of their setup/driving needs.

If you have any questions that you would like more details on, please PM me and I would be happy to help you out also!

Good luck,

EvolvedRegal
12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Also the stock turbo is good to about 375whp, my engine is almost done being built and will also be installed while in florida not sure if I gave out what Im doing but most of it is a little different than what you might normally hear with the 4g63's

Also the Mitsu ecu is awsome in the 05's they did a lot of work to it since the 03-04's came out.

Go on evolutionm.net there is a ton of info just make you do a search first since the mods are getting a little pissed about questions that have been asked a few 1000 times

sloLs1
12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys... and as of right now it has a SAFC2 installed in it. I was just wondering if i could throw a set of cams in it and tune it with a safc2. and i know that my duty cycle would be about 95% or higher thats why i was also askin bout injectors. AS far as a EMS i am still looking into it. and BTW the car is in storage for winter! thank you!

TopStreetDsm
12-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes, you will be able to tune in the difference with the SAFCII. I think you would be shocked how well a factory air flow meter will adjust as well to the flow gains.

Personally, I think the MAFTPRO is an awesome revolation to the car industry. What the highly over priced VPC once did... You can now do for a little over $400.oo.

BTW: I think the gains with 272deg cams on intake and exhaust is by far worth the very slight loss you will see in idle, spool, Mpg.

Yeah, KJ is the place I was talking about. Not bad when they opened up, but very quickly that place went down hill.

Let me know if there's anything else.

Jake

EvolvedRegal
12-07-2005, 01:55 AM
272's over 264 don't make much more hp unless you are going to go with a big turbo then the rule applies that more air= more power. But if you are just looking for a street driver then 264's should be more than enough. Still trying to track down a set of Jun 272's, but will see how the Revolver cams do.

Jake in a few weeks I might be matching your rev range, but on smaller displacement.

EvolvedRegal
12-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Oh also with the maftpro the timing ability will be fully functional in a few weeks, right now it's an over glorified afc with the speed density option. VE algorithims are the way to go if you ask me. It's so much smoother than tuning off the MAF.

Also if you go S-AFC use the MAP ability, like I said much smoother power delivery. The stock Evo MAF is very touchy and even my heavily ported 16g threw the Hz readings around, especially in the upper rpm range. I have logged about 2 hrs with the pro and it seems to be a lot better. If I ever do change EM again Motec will be the system. Anyone need a fully unlocked M800?

WilliamZ
12-07-2005, 07:33 AM
272's over 264 don't make much more hp unless you are going to go with a big turbo then the rule applies that more air= more power. But if you are just looking for a street driver then 264's should be more than enough. Still trying to track down a set of Jun 272's, but will see how the Revolver cams do.

Jake in a few weeks I might be matching your rev range, but on smaller displacement.

I have had a set of HKS 272's in a couple of my DSM's and if you are spending the money anyways, get the 272's I even had a stock car besides a 3" turbo-back, MBC, and 272's. The cams helped out a lot..

sloLs1
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the tips guys... I was just reading in a magazine that 264's are good for street use and with my mods already and a set of 264's i would see a good soild 10-15whp gain which is nice. For right now am just looking to keep the stock turbo and such... unless i could get my hands on a decent turbo upgrade kit and such. But I have put only 4000miles on it and i think i would like to get some use out of the stock turbo and such before i go big and end up replacing everything! I would like to see what i can do with the stock turbo berfor it needs to go! From what i have read and have seen low 12's aren't a problem on the stock turbo. Thas my goal for is low 12's and possibly high high high 11's!!! After i start breaking things or the clutch starts feelin weak then i will most likely go big with it but for now i just want a nice street car... Anyway thanks for the help.

TopStreetDsm
12-08-2005, 12:57 AM
264 cams are the largest a motor can go before having over lap. The combo brings it to a little bit of overlap, And anything higher and you begin to have measureable duration of, lets just call it "blow Through". Basically on a forced motor, you push out remaining exhaust gases and get a fresh, clean burn the next time around. This will all ways make more power on a turbo car if every thing else is right. Since you are using well designed manifolds and not changing injector timing, etc... If the slight mpg difference is worth it to you, then do the combo.

BTW: Anything done to the 95 Yoda in your sig? Just wondering!...

Jake

EvolvedRegal
12-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Jake can you get your hands on JUN cams? i am having a hell of a time finding some.

sloLs1
12-08-2005, 06:17 PM
BTW: Anything done to the 95 Yoda in your sig? Just wondering!...

Jake

Well the yoda does have a 5in lift with 33 BFG M/T and a home made custom 2.5in exhaust with a K&N replacement filter! but anyway.... if i were to go with the 272 cams, what kind would you recommend??? Adj. cam gears?? also I know you can make big power with intake manifolds but would the power band be where i need it??? I am only going to be reving to the stock rev limit... what kind of intake manifold would you recommend??? i know you do a lot of custom work.... have you ever built one for a EVO??? Also i am going to need injectors and fuel pump! I will also be adding a full FMIC kit to the EVO before spring as well. Sorry about so many questions but you and everyone else have given me some good info. and a little more would be appriciated(sp?)!!!! thanks a million!!

TopStreetDsm
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
SloLS1:

272's... HKS all the way. The ramp design along with many other reasons is what makes these cams so great. There are about 372 million reasons to select, and not select certain intake manifolds. Based on the powerband you want... Tapper, volume, runner length, runner shape, Runner tapper, throttle body size... All of these things need to be desided while balancing your choice against the other one. For example: all generally speaking, a larger plenum will result in increase torque, a shorter runner will result in increased horse power. Having the combination will usually provide a good street manifold with lots of power. Now, why do all of these things need to be weighed against each other? Because something as simple as not having the right plenum tapper will cause both of these to change there properties. One of the premade manifolds I really like is the Magnus. BUT! I would more than likely not get this manifold with out the 360deg tappered air horns.
Air Horns (http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/images/intakes/spl3.jpg)

Let me know if there is any thing else. :thumbsup

P.S. You should swing by sometime and check out my 4Runner. I am always down for some wheeling!

Jake

sloLs1
12-09-2005, 11:24 PM
SloLS1:

272's... HKS all the way. The ramp design along with many other reasons is what makes these cams so great. There are about 372 million reasons to select, and not select certain intake manifolds. Based on the powerband you want... Tapper, volume, runner length, runner shape, Runner tapper, throttle body size... All of these things need to be desided while balancing your choice against the other one. For example: all generally speaking, a larger plenum will result in increase torque, a shorter runner will result in increased horse power. Having the combination will usually provide a good street manifold with lots of power. Now, why do all of these things need to be weighed against each other? Because something as simple as not having the right plenum tapper will cause both of these to change there properties. One of the premade manifolds I really like is the Magnus. BUT! I would more than likely not get this manifold with out the 360deg tappered air horns.
Air Horns (http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/images/intakes/spl3.jpg)

Let me know if there is any thing else. :thumbsup

P.S. You should swing by sometime and check out my 4Runner. I am always down for some wheeling!

Jake

thanks again... the only thing about wheelin would be that my yoda is out here in Wyoming!!! And ONE LAST QUESTION.... What kind of clutch??? i dont want somethin that will tear my drivetrain apart but somethin to hold a good amout of power.... sotck EVO clutch=garbage! But yes i would like to stop by the shop.... will you be around sometime between Dec23 and Jan1???? thats the only time i will be back for a little while! But anyway thanks for the good info.!!!

TopStreetDsm
12-10-2005, 12:44 AM
thanks again... the only thing about wheelin would be that my yoda is out here in Wyoming!!! And ONE LAST QUESTION.... What kind of clutch??? i dont want somethin that will tear my drivetrain apart but somethin to hold a good amout of power.... sotck EVO clutch=garbage! But yes i would like to stop by the shop.... will you be around sometime between Dec23 and Jan1???? thats the only time i will be back for a little while! But anyway thanks for the good info.!!!

Ohhh!... I didnt know you where way out there. Any good mucky spots out there? "ROAD TRIP" :rolf

I basically live here (to answer your other question) so I would say every day but 25th and 26th. You know you gotta have a day to let the food settle and play with presents.

Jake

TopStreetDsm
12-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Get Me Stuck Or Im Not Happy!

sloLs1
12-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Get Me Stuck Or Im Not Happy!

oh i can find hundreds of spots to get really stuck in!!! IT is off road heaven out here!!! but anyway are those 35's??? they look big for 35's!!! go to the link in my sig. there are a few pics from when we went off roading!! I will definatly have to call you over my break when i am back... possibly for so parts for the EVO!!! :devil

Bee
12-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I would stay away from 272's if you are still utilizing the stock turbo. Used a set on a t3/t4 57trim before and big time lag not only due to the decent size turbo, but more then likely the big cam design. HIGH end was like a whipblash feeling.. :wow 4 month later stuck the stock cams back and low end improved dramtically. With 272's and an upgraded turbo rev-limiter would have to be altered to make maximum power. I made power to 8K...still would've made more, but left revlimiter there for safety. If you do have IGN tuning capabilities, the 272's would be great since low-end/mid-range tuning can be improved.

If you stay with the stock turbo i would recommend the smaller 264's. SafcII is definitely good enough to tune these cams in. AMS would be the place for AWD tuning. We may be getting the 2wd dyno soon....so if anyone wants to disable the rear wheel from an AWD we may accomodate in the very near future!!! :thumbsup :banana

TopStreetDsm
12-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Used a set on a t3/t4 57trim before and big time lag

That turbo is 20 year old technology.

With the right combo, I have seen improved spool with 272deg cams. If you have a good t3/t4 you should have no complaints with spool time. Unless you are a cadilac owner returning your car to the dealer because it shifts and you dont like it.

Time and time again evo's have gone mid to high 11's in the 1/4 with cams, upped boost, intake, exhaust, ecu flash. Im sure you know about this site... But just in case check out: DSMTIMES (www.dsmtimes.org)

BTW... The tires are 37's. Looks like fun out there. Your buddies Jeep doesnt look to shabby either. I love when 4links are used for more than just going straight. Yeah Yeah let go wheelin! :headbang
Jake

sloLs1
12-11-2005, 12:12 PM

With the right combo, I have seen improved spool with 272deg cams. If you have a good t3/t4 you should have no complaints with spool time. Unless you are a cadilac owner returning your car to the dealer because it shifts and you dont like it.

Time and time again evo's have gone mid to high 11's in the 1/4 with cams, upped boost, intake, exhaust, ecu flash. Im sure you know about this site... But just in case check out: DSMTIMES (www.dsmtimes.org)

BTW... The tires are 37's. Looks like fun out there. Your buddies Jeep doesnt look to shabby either. I love when 4links are used for more than just going straight. Yeah Yeah let go wheelin! :headbang
Jake

well i would like to be able to hit the 11's!!! i think that would be a really good goal for me for summer! So 272's with a stock turbo??? i will most likely just go with them because soon after that i would like to upgrade the turbo. 37's.... your still not running the stock rear end gears are you?? is it a 22re or what i have... a 3.slow!!! and my buddies jeep is all custom built by himself! it is really fun to just go where you want to! Those pictures don't even show how much travel it has... it has about 4ft of travel :wooo !!! The shocks are nitrogen filled fox shocks. It is sittin on 39.5's locked front end, spool in the rear, dana 60 in the rear (5.13), ford 9 in high pinion in the front and a stock 4.0l motor! but yea it goes!

TopStreetDsm
12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
SloLs1:

The yoda is sitting on 5.29gears, spool rear, locker front, and a homebrewed turbo setup controlled by a stand alone (mounted on the roof). Plenty of power for now. I had the thing in some thick mud half way up the doors. In forth gear I was still able to make those tires fly.

Check out the evo section on that link I gave you. All the guys that say stock or 16g or big 16g. Thats you with a couple of mods and some driving.

Jake

sloLs1
12-11-2005, 02:23 PM
i wish they had a better list of parts that they had.... but the stock trubo looks like it was doin good... isn't a big 16g and a evo turbo about the same???? and your 4 runner sounds fun!!!!

Bee
12-11-2005, 03:22 PM

Jake

Jake the t3/t4 is the new GARRETT style... not the ones from diesel trucks. If you haven't noticed the wheel style/trim are WAY different... similar to Precision Turbo wheels.... Garrett makes turbos for PT...they just mod a bit here and there. the outright Garretts are more then effiecent off the shelf. :headbang

Bee
12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
well i would like to be able to hit the 11's!!! i think that would be a really good goal for me for summer! So 272's with a stock turbo??? i will most likely just go with them because soon after that i would like to upgrade the turbo. 37's.... your still not running the stock rear end gears are you?? is it a 22re or what i have... a 3.slow!!! and my buddies jeep is all custom built by himself! it is really fun to just go where you want to! Those pictures don't even show how much travel it has... it has about 4ft of travel :wooo !!! The shocks are nitrogen filled fox shocks. It is sittin on 39.5's locked front end, spool in the rear, dana 60 in the rear (5.13), ford 9 in high pinion in the front and a stock 4.0l motor! but yea it goes!

good choice if you go with the 272's since you will eventually upgrade your turbo and soon enough you'll be looking at EMS's..no doubt... good luck with your setup :thumbsup

sloLs1
12-11-2005, 08:46 PM
good choice if you go with the 272's since you will eventually upgrade your turbo and soon enough you'll be looking at EMS's..no doubt... good luck with your setup :thumbsup

thank you! and BTW... my old house is right down the road from your shop on forest hill!!!

Bee
12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
thank you! and BTW... my old house is right down the road from your shop on forest hill!!!

is it the silver evo i see once upon a time...rolling by :)

see you around :thumbsup

sloLs1
12-12-2005, 05:42 PM
is it the silver evo i see once upon a time...rolling by :)

see you around :thumbsup

no... it's black with black tinted windows and a big o' can stickin out the back!!! :headbang anyway i haven't driven it for like 3 months or so :crying . and if you are talking about a silver one... does it appear to be stock??? i know a guy who lives down on oakwood and nicolason(sp?)

EvolvedRegal
12-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I would stay away from 272's if you are still utilizing the stock turbo. Used a set on a t3/t4 57trim before and big time lag not only due to the decent size turbo, but more then likely the big cam design. HIGH end was like a whipblash feeling.. :wow 4 month later stuck the stock cams back and low end improved dramtically. With 272's and an upgraded turbo rev-limiter would have to be altered to make maximum power. I made power to 8K...still would've made more, but left revlimiter there for safety. If you do have IGN tuning capabilities, the 272's would be great since low-end/mid-range tuning can be improved.

If you stay with the stock turbo i would recommend the smaller 264's. SafcII is definitely good enough to tune these cams in. AMS would be the place for AWD tuning. We may be getting the 2wd dyno soon....so if anyone wants to disable the rear wheel from an AWD we may accomodate in the very near future!!! :thumbsup :banana

So the person could only handle 4 months with cams, what a f'en *****. 272's are perfect for the stock turbo, there is hardly any difference from the 264's, this has been dyno proven over the last 10+ years. Sure with a huge turbo the 272's will outshine the 264's.

Some of the stuff you post up makes me wonder about you guys and how you guys over there tune cars. I have a set of 264/272 in right now, I have tuned a straight 264 and a few 272 set-ups, none with drivability problems and using the stock turbo except for my car.

sloLs1
12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
:banana