PDA

View Full Version : Electrical ?

Scales
12-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Ok, I don't know jack about wireing in cars so I need some help. My wife has a 94 Cavy RS and she's having a problem with the headlights. When she turns them on, only the parking lights come on. After a couple minutes, the headlights will come on usually. I've noticed the colder it's getting, the longer it takes for them to come on. Sometimes, if you flash the brights on and off, they'd come on but it happend so spuratic that I don't think it's connected. The headlight switch itself is a rotary dial on the blinker. Everything else on that rod or whatever works fine. This morning, not even the parking lights came on until after a couple minutes. So am I lookin at a possible loose wire somewhere in the switch or colum, or is there somewhere else I should be looking? She leaves for work when it's still dark out so I have to fix this ASAP!! Any help would be great!!!

TIA

PonyKiller87
12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a loose wire or a fuse that is going bad.

Pull the headlight bulb out and put a multi meter on it. See if its getting power, if theres power there right away then the bulbs are just bad. If not then its probably a bad wire or connection somewhere. Try putting a new fuse in too.

fireboverd
12-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Try wiggling that lever in any and all directions possible, I get a lot of stuff at work thats real random like that and usualy if it's a problem with the multifuncion lever...it can be agravated by wiggling it.

SLONOMA
12-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I've got a 94 grand am, same set-up, same problem. I have yet to screw with mine, but I figure if you have to mess with the multi-function switch, like kick the high beams on and off for it to work, then I'd just replace the switch w/ the entire arm and everything. Seems like the contacts are just getting worn out. The only problem is they're not cheap. I'd suggest a junk yard grab on that one.

Syclone0044
12-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I had a 93 Cavalier Z24 and around 150,000 it did this same crap. Had to get the multifunction switch replaced.