PDA

View Full Version : Gun guys.

Korndogg
12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Im thinking about getting this for my 21st birthday as a present to myself. What do you think? I can get it for $350 plus shipping to someone around here that has a FFL license. I just have to find someone with a FFL license lol.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=24/7-9B&category=Pistol

Rocket Power
12-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Back when I lived out in Burlington the local hardware store/sporting goods place would do it for a small fee(I think it was around $25). You could try asking around to a gun store or maybe somebody like Gander Mountain.

Korndogg
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
yeah I was planning on calling around. The only reason I dont see a shop doing it is cause your not buying their guns so they wont really be making any money. But hopefully ill find someone cool enough to do it.

Rocket Power
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Do they have Hi-cap mags for those or are they all 10+1?

Korndogg
12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
man I have no idea when it comes to pistols. This is going to be my first one.

EDIT: nevermind...i thought about it and I know what your talking about now...im an idiot lol. anyway. Im not sure.

sloLs1
12-04-2005, 09:13 PM
don't get a 9mm... they usally are not that accurate! you have to be good to actually kill somethin with it!!! get a desert eagle!!!

Korndogg
12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
lol.. 9mm arent that expensive and its a good beginner gun. Not planning on killing to many things with it. Thats what my rifle is for.

USMARINE1108
12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Any FFL will do a transer for you. They shouldn't charge more than $30-$35. If you haven't, I would recomend going to a few gun shops and taking a look around. This is a great place:

Fletcher Arms Inc
1441 East Main Street, Waukesha, WI 53186
(262) 549-4488

Have you ever shot before?

USMARINE1108
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Thats what my rifle is for.

Nevermind............you posted while I was typing.

I shoot the M9 9mm Beretta in the Marine Corps, but personaly I prefer a .45. It's a much more powerfull round, more accurate, and a lot more fun to shoot.

Korndogg
12-04-2005, 09:58 PM
never shot a pistol before. Im planning on going and looking around at guns here too to see what fits me too.

HITMAN
12-04-2005, 10:03 PM
don't get a 9mm... they usally are not that accurate! you have to be good to actually kill somethin with it!!! get a desert eagle!!!

Have you actually priced a D.E.? The guy wants to spend $350, not double. A 9mm may not be that accurate but it's fairly inexpensive to shoot. Magnum calibers are expensive. I owned a Desert Eagle chambered in .50AE and it cost me a buck a round to shoot. It was fun, but it wasn't a dollar a shot fun. Another thing to remember is that you won't get good with a handgun unless you shoot fairly often. Why make every trip to the range expensive?

HITMAN
12-04-2005, 10:14 PM
never shot a pistol before. Im planning on going and looking around at guns here too to see what fits me too.

Buy a .22 pistol. Ruger, Browning, something fairly inexpensive with a good reputation for reliability and accuracy. A .22 is very cheap to shoot. This helps in a few ways. First, you will put a lot of rounds through this gun. This will help you become proficient with all your subsequent hand gun purchases. Second, the noise and recoil are mild, so it will help you develop your shooting skills without developing bad habits like flinching right away. Buy the Taurus if you want, but get yourself a .22 as well. When you go to the range, take both guns, but put a hundred rounds through the .22 first, every time you go. You won't be sorry.

Anakonda69
12-04-2005, 10:38 PM
get the raging bull .454 that gun is badass....or a desert eagle

animal
12-04-2005, 11:11 PM
get the raging bull .454 that gun is badass....

That's exactly the one I own. It IS a kick ass gun, and I can put all 5 in the 9-10 ring at 25 yards with my hunting loads. A bit much for shooting target though. When I shoot target I run .45 colt target ammo through it to save my hands/wrists.

DON'T get a desert eagle if you're looking for the most reliable jam-free gun you can find. They are very picky on the ammo and powder type because they are gas operated... at least from the ones I've fired, and as stated, rounds are expensive for plinking. It's a novelty for the guy who has everything but not really for the casual target shooter. Look at anything in the .380, 9mm, .40, or .45 guns, many will be near the same, and there's something in your price range. If it's really not for serious home defense then I wouldn't worry about getting a .380 or 9mm... they aren't THAT innaccurate, you won't need all kinds of muzzle energy, and you can buy a box of target ammo for really cheap at most ranges. Your best bet, wait for the next gun show at state fair and walk around and see what people are selling. Most of the brand name autos are going to run you about $500 plus or minus when new. Plus, at the gun show, if you find a guy selling somethin just walking around, you won't have the waiting period... or the government knowing you bought something. ( if you're from montana and care about that type of thing ;) )

If you'd rather look into a revolver, there are alot of nice ones out there. My fav is the 357 mag. They're pretty cheap to shoot at the range cause you can also run .38 special through them.... plus they're a great all around gun that won't leave your hands or wrist hurting like my .454 does after a box of ammo :)

Whatever you get, make sure you clean it after every time you use it, and keep it oiled from time to time when it sits. If you do that, it will last you a lifetime.

Russ Jerome
12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Buy a .22 pistol. Ruger, Browning, something fairly inexpensive with a good reputation for reliability and accuracy. A .22 is very cheap to shoot. This helps in a few ways. First, you will put a lot of rounds through this gun. This will help you become proficient with all your subsequent hand gun purchases. Second, the noise and recoil are mild, so it will help you develop your shooting skills without developing bad habits like flinching right away. Buy the Taurus if you want, but get yourself a .22 as well. When you go to the range, take both guns, but put a hundred rounds through the .22 first, every time you go. You won't be sorry.

Exactly! I have owned a LOT of gun's, fired 50AE as well as some oddball
one off's. Here's my favorite to shoot, mine has a bigger scope but you
get the idea:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/an22h.jpg

That one is very pricey but it has won more world championship
tournaments and Olympic's than any other,Anschutz. Colt
and Ruger 22's sell very cheap and are fun as heck.

Korndogg
12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
not a big fan of .22's. I do apreciate all the advice though. Thanks. I think I have actually shot a .22 pistol a looong time ago but I dont really remember. Im pretty set on getting a 9mm too. What is a good price to pay for a 9mm? I know it differs but average.

Cryptic
12-05-2005, 12:49 AM
.22's stop being fun when I was about 13 years old. :punch:

Korndogg
12-05-2005, 12:58 AM
exactly...I want something with at least SOME power.

UnderPSI
12-05-2005, 08:11 AM
You will be happy with the 9mm. They are great guns to learn with. As stated before, Fletcher's is a good spot to get a gun sent. It might just be cheaper to get the gun right from them. I know that they can get what ever you want. They also have a great guy for lessons. I know what you might be thinking, but there have been guys who have been shooting for 20 years that have learned alot from this guy. I don't think they are that expensive. There is alot to learn even just how to hold the gun properly. Another thing to consider is a league. I have shot on the league at Fletchers for a few years now and you don't have to be good to join. Good luck.

Korndogg
12-05-2005, 10:51 AM
yeah i was thinking about joining a league. Otherwise, a guy I work with is also thinking about getting a pistol so I could always go with him shooting.

oh and UnderPSI...your postcount is 666 right now :)

HP ADDICT
12-05-2005, 11:28 AM
What is all the BS about a 9mm not being accurate? Most decent 9mm pistols can outshoot the guy holding it. I am not a big fan of the 9mm for home defense but it is most definitly not a unaccurate round. My personal preference is .45 due to better knock down power in a home defense situation. I am still saving for my Kimber TLE II which is the same gun LAPD swat uses. I am also not a big fan of the semi auto taurus guns. They seem to have a better following in the revolver department.
A .50cal DE is also not a very practical or even a highly accurate gun, to me they are a WAY over priced novelty gangsta gun with no useful purpose as they are big as hell. If you think a 9mm isn't strong enough or accurate to kill somthing, just step away from all guns period.

DirtyMax
12-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Taurus are decent entry level guns. Buy a revolver if you want to shoot for accuracy. Buy a pistol if you just want to have fun spraying rounds all over the place. My 7 shot .357 Smith and Wesson 686SS revolver was very accurate for only being a 6 inch barrel revolver. As an added bonus, you can run 38 Special rounds thru it, which are pretty cheap to shoot.

Rocket Power
12-05-2005, 12:44 PM
yeah i was thinking about joining a league. Otherwise, a guy I work with is also thinking about getting a pistol so I could always go with him shooting.

oh and UnderPSI...your postcount is 666 right now :)
Leagues are fun. My wife and I used to shoot on one about 10 years ago down at shooters sport center down around the caladonia/racine way. We both shot Ruger P-89's then she bought a S&W 686.
We had lots of fun and have talked about doing it again but never got around to it.

UnderPSI
12-06-2005, 08:46 AM
I like the P-89's. Those are great guns. They will last forever and aren't picky with ammo. League shooting is a great way to get better. I thought I was a pretty good shot, after four years of league shooting I improved more than I ever thought I would. Funny thing, the guidance counsler from my highschool is the best pistol shot in the state of wisconsin. Never would have thought. One thing you will find also is that if you smoke your scores will be significantly lower than if you don't. Ask anyone that league shoots, they will tell you that their scores went up by at least 30 points since they quit smoking.

animal
12-06-2005, 09:53 AM
will last forever

Any decent gun will last forever if you take care of it.

Cryptic
12-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Any decent gun will last forever if you take care of it.

tell that to my 12 gauge (Winchester FeatherLite) that was used for trap shooting. The action was re-tapped 3 times before I said the hell with it.

animal
12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
tell that to my 12 gauge (Winchester FeatherLite) that was used for trap shooting. The action was re-tapped 3 times before I said the hell with it.

Obviously there's exceptions to the rule. My dad's semi rifle for instance, it is known that after a TON of rounds the rails inside can wear. But that can be above and beyond as far as "normal" use goes.

Not sure what to say about yours... a lemon? Bad design? As with anything I encourage people to research guns before buying for possible other problems. That's not to say any gun won't have it's problems, gunsmiths do stay in business somehow... but with proper care, you can keep your problems down to simple stuff like regluing glued-on sites if they ever come off, etc.

HITMAN
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
.22's stop being fun when I was about 13 years old. :punch:

Was that the year you stopped "shooting blanks" when jerking off? :rolf

HITMAN
12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
exactly...I want something with at least SOME power.

I made the suggestion that you get a .22 IN ADDITION TO, not instead of. It's your money, buy whatever the fuk you want.

HITMAN
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
get the raging bull .454 that gun is badass....or a desert eagle

Another guy with no clue as to what it costs to shoot these things, or the bad shooting habits you can develop when shooting something like a .454 with no prior handgun shooting experience. Everybody wants to run before they can crawl... :rolleyes:

Korndogg
12-06-2005, 10:41 PM
I made the suggestion that you get a .22 IN ADDITION TO, not instead of. It's your money, buy whatever the fuk you want.

oh I know. I dont really have tons of money..even though .22's arent really expensive but still. I think my dad might even have one around here.

HITMAN
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
A .50cal DE is also not a very practical or even a highly accurate gun, to me they are a WAY over priced novelty gangsta gun with no useful purpose as they are big as hell.

I disagree with most of what you've said here about the .50AE Desert Eagle. Accuracy? 8rds = one big hole at 25 yards. I've also shot a 3" 3 round group @ 100 yards off of a sand bag out at McMiller. Try that with your 9mm. As for a gangsta gun, it's more of a movie gun.(large and imposing) Most street punks couldn't handle the recoil and muzzle blast of this gun. As for uses, with the accuracy I achieved with mine, you could easily deer hunt with it.
I do agree with you, as far as practicality and price go.

As for my opinion of 9mm's: Most average priced 9mm's are just so-so in the accuracy dept., at least to me. In order to get the accuracy to my standard, you need to start getting into something like a Sig P229, or a H&K USP or P7, and even at that I would prefer a .40, given the choice.

Korndogg
12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
just want something to have a little fun with like one day a week. thats all.

HITMAN
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
just want something to have a little fun with like one day a week. thats all.

:thumbsup It's all good. Gun people are like car people. You ask for opinions, you're going to get a million of 'em.