PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera for Christmas

TransAm12sec
12-04-2005, 02:39 PM
I thought I'd ask for a digital camera for Christmas, but I don't know what would be good for me. I would use it when I'm having fun with my friends, car shows, and other misc stuff. I took a photography class in high school, but I don't have the knowledge for shutter speeds and apertures down. It would be neat to take small videos with the camera, but I’m not sure what that adds to the price. I was told digital zoom is worthless.

I noticed on other digital cameras, it takes a second for the picture to be taken. Is that common, or is it easy to avoid?

I'd it to have an lcd screen so I can tell what the picture looks like right after I take it.

What are some good options for me?

Silver350
12-05-2005, 07:00 AM
I thought I'd ask for a digital camera for Christmas, but I don't know what would be good for me. I would use it when I'm having fun with my friends, car shows, and other misc stuff. I took a photography class in high school, but I don't have the knowledge for shutter speeds and apertures down. It would be neat to take small videos with the camera, but I’m not sure what that adds to the price. I was told digital zoom is worthless.

I noticed on other digital cameras, it takes a second for the picture to be taken. Is that common, or is it easy to avoid?

I'd it to have an lcd screen so I can tell what the picture looks like right after I take it.

What are some good options for me?

Its going to come down to what you want in a digital camera. Jason will be able to help provide some information on DSLR's. But if you dont think you are going to want a DSLR and you want just a simple point in shoot your best bet is to do some in store shopping. Maybe get a friend or g/f or wife to go with you. to test out zooms or you can just pointing it down the hallway at the store will help you see how good it is. All digital camera's have a screen you can view photos

jbiscuit
12-05-2005, 07:35 AM
a lot of the point and shoot cameras are really nice, I have to admit. Unless you really see the need to shoot a lot of photos and don't mind the bulky SLR-style camera, and want to have the ability to "control" everything about the shot (IE, depth of field, focus, color saturation, sharpness etc)...then I would say to check out the digital rebel XT or the nikon d50.

But like I said earlier, a lot of the point and shoots are quite good. Canon makes a really nice one, very small: The Canon SD400....Best Buy carries it for $299.99 or online vendors offer it a bit cheaper at around $265 + shipping. If you do decide to order online, PLEASE research the vendor before ordering. There are a LOT of bait and switch type vendors out there. They offer the camera at a really low price and then when you get the product you ordered, it isn't as described. IE, no battery, missing warranty card etc etc.

I have recommended them several times: bhphotovideo.com

J

Cleveland Dave
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM
the nikon coolpix 5600 is a sweet camera.