PDA

View Full Version : Buick Regal GS

Slow Joe
12-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey... Anyone have one of these? I found one, thinking about buying it, and I'm not very familiar with the supercharged GMs. Just wondering other peoples stories/experiences with them... I know the 3800 is a bullet proof motor, so I just figured I'd ask first... Never hurts to ask? :goof

jon_we4
12-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Mine has been with me for almost 4 years ... put 70,000 miles on it and no real big problems.

I put f-body front calipers and rotors on it.

My major problem is trans fluid is going somewhere, and it gets a quart low and acts up, I fill it up and its better. The trans slips but I didnt expect it to last much longer anyways as they are not known for longevity.

I just keep my SC oil, Motor oil, and other fluids maintained and I am good.

Cryptic
12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
same thing as a gtp... Solid motor, just a grandpa/grandma shell IMO

jon_we4
12-01-2005, 10:58 AM
The GS's get a digital boost gauge ;)

Slow Joe
12-01-2005, 11:08 AM
So the transmissions in these aren't known for longevity??

jbiscuit
12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
cool cars. If you have access to a well maintained low mileage one, pick it up

Pantera99GS
12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
These cars suck :).

No I love mine- minus the recent getting broken into, speeding ticket, exhaust leak, and needing new tires :).

It's a good powerful daily driver a great aftermarket thanks to the popularity of the Grand Prix GTP.

As far as the tranny- I bought my '99 with 27,000 miles. I've taken it down the dragstrip I'd say at least 40 times, plus the daily wear and tear- and even SloFarmtrucks (my brother) repeated abuse and it still shifts great. I'm at 95,000 miles now. Honestly if my car was totaled tomorrow-like it almost was because of the jackasses this morning- I'd salvage my parts and get another one just because resale is so cheap and you're getting a pretty good daily driver.

theavenger333
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
the HD trans can take a whoopin, but usually when u mod them they will go. keep it stock, or close to it you should be golden.

Cryptic
12-01-2005, 12:58 PM
97k... my tranny is solid. I have pretty good list of bolt-ons since the car was 24k old. I refrain from doing burnouts, but I get on it plenty. No problems.

One of my first mods was the tranny cooler. I've heard mixed ideas on the effectiveness of it. It's working for me i guess.

Poncho
12-01-2005, 01:13 PM
can be an awesome daily, or an awesome fun car.

always fun to see a GS tear the **** outta so called fast cars.

we need a GS in the 9's.

Pantera99GS
12-01-2005, 02:08 PM
can be an awesome daily, or an awesome fun car.

always fun to see a GS tear the **** outta so called fast cars.

we need a GS in the 9's.

Give me money and we'll make that happen :).

I would LOVE a turbo setup- hell I'd be happy to have my car in the low 12's.

Slow Joe
12-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I honestly wasn't planning on Moding it... Unless you call window tint and a stereo moding... It'd be a nice comfy kinda quick daily driver... I'm lookin for something comfortable with some get up and go...

jon_we4
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I love the torque ... I was thinking of a GP GXP but I dont know with the DOD if the torque would feel the same as the GS. My trans isnt gone - but its slipping. I've been keeping it alive for the past year or so. I've done a few burnouts with the car back when I first got it.

I dont mod it tho - thats what I have the GTO for. Plus when you mod something you can loose dependability.

Slow Joe
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah that's what I have my Mustang for... Even though the mod list hasn't grown much since '03 lol... I'm saving up for the next mod. :thumbsup

Oh yeah if I bought this I'd have to get rid of my truck.. Anyone interested '98 S10 LS 2wd 4cyl 5-Speed reg cab short box.. 63k mi (I think) Excellent shape... :thumbsup

I'll have to post it in the classifieds if this is a good car, just gettin a feel if anyone would be lookin for the truck.. :durr

Poncho
12-01-2005, 08:26 PM
if you do pick this up, at least do the minimum cheap mods, they really make a huge difference, i.e. good for at least .5 if not more in some cases..

3.4" SC pulley (or 3.5")
CAI
u-bend removal
then 1 range colder plugs.

T-Bag
12-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Awesome cars, I remember riding in Pantera's a few years back (with SlowFarmTruck at the helm). They have awesome interiors, real comfortable, and scoot pretty good too. I'd recommend one.

Syclone0044
12-02-2005, 09:22 AM
I love the torque ... I was thinking of a GP GXP but I dont know with the DOD if the torque would feel the same as the GS. I thought the same thing, but everything I've read from GM (advertising, and technical docs from GM Powertrain) says that it's absolutely "imperceptible" when the cylinders engage. If I remember right, the delay was something like 29ms. I know if I ever drive one of the DOD V8s, that will be the first thing I try (trying to see if I can "feel" when the cylinders cut out or come back :) )

A B4C Z
12-03-2005, 02:22 AM
I have driven the impala SS's with the v-8 Belive me it rips. With the TC on it still does burn outs and this was when it was still 50 degrees outside. You cant really feel the cylinders cuting out at all. Maybe if your really really feeling for it but I didn notice it.

Slow Joe
12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Alright the car has 73k on it, seems to be very clean... Except the low coolant light was on along with the tire pressure light... The low coolant light went off after about 5 min when the car warmed up so I'm not too worried about that... It should be getting inspected on monday so hopefully it'll come back clean... Black with a sliver bottom, chromes, and gray leather... Oh yeah were heated seats an option and if so where was the button? lol, I couldn't find it for the life of me... But then again the car came in last night around 7:30... So vision wasn't the easiest outside... Eh, I'll see it on the rack on monday and go from there... I'm just wondering if there's anything specific I should look for... Oh yeah I took it for a short drive, and it seems to be all there.. And it still has a bit of up and go from what I get out of it, but I was being nice... :thumbsup :devil

Crawlin
12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I have driven the impala SS's with the v-8 Belive me it rips. With the TC on it still does burn outs and this was when it was still 50 degrees outside. You cant really feel the cylinders cuting out at all. Maybe if your really really feeling for it but I didn notice it.

how the hell can we sell that car now? hahaha

the new monte carlo SS the saleslady bought rips too!!!

Pantera99GS
12-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Alright the car has 73k on it, seems to be very clean... Except the low coolant light was on along with the tire pressure light... The low coolant light went off after about 5 min when the car warmed up so I'm not too worried about that... It should be getting inspected on monday so hopefully it'll come back clean... Black with a sliver bottom, chromes, and gray leather... Oh yeah were heated seats an option and if so where was the button? lol, I couldn't find it for the life of me... But then again the car came in last night around 7:30... So vision wasn't the easiest outside... Eh, I'll see it on the rack on monday and go from there... I'm just wondering if there's anything specific I should look for... Oh yeah I took it for a short drive, and it seems to be all there.. And it still has a bit of up and go from what I get out of it, but I was being nice... :thumbsup :devil

The low coolant light MIGHT just be the sensor- it's really common with these cars, but check out the actual level.

Check the steering rack, the pump is known to be a weak spot as well. Do some tight circles and see how it feels.

The heated seats- if there- should have a switch right on the front of the center console, by the traction control.