PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Tunners?? or what ever on HWY 100

Jake B. (Killer Quad)
11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
So what happend to this place?? why are they gone shouldnt HWY be a prime spot!

Or dose some one else just need to take an agressive crack at it!

theavenger333
11-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Midnight Tuning...... HWY100 rent is through the roof. from what i've learned, mostly through Revtek's utter failure, sales does not win. internet kills it. its all about good service, and or a niche. case and point, Jake with Top Street. the guy turbos just about anything you give him. makes manifolds, etc. the market here sucks for racing, its mostly kids in **** cars wanting bolt ons, and wanting them cheap. that and that place carried a ton of parts. you can't do that either, someone's gotta want to buy them. a big stock of shiny paperweights, expensive ones. thats my guess.

Crawlin
12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
i hear there may be another shop trying, but the money isn't in parts like you said, it's in labor/install and at a reasonable price. that's what this shop will do. midnight tuning was more of a hangout, and in business, you can't have a ton of people just HANG OUT there. got to be doing something and continually working/moving to earn money

jbiscuit
12-01-2005, 10:27 AM
yea I agree, tat place turned into a place that people were just hanging out at. I had been in there a few times seeing as Bart (one of the owners) is a big subaru guy and everytime I went in there they were all sitting around playing Xbox on the big screen TV. An import speed shop can't be in a strip mall.

Crawlin
12-01-2005, 01:23 PM
and I stand corrected on my statement....

some people or ignorant assholes and are oblivious to the truth and any sort of rational thinking

Junky Giorgio
12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
doesn't the owner of midnight tuning own some japanese/chinese restaurant in sussex??? he probably saw more money come thru there.... ;)

jbiscuit
12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
yea I heard that as well tony

Flight_740
12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Economy sucks, kids don't have money for turbos and wings, kids parents don't have money for turbos and wings on the kids car, Probably very high overhead at HWY 100 location. Not to mention, I would probably turn around and leave to never come back again if walked in and everybody was playing X box. :wooo :rolf

pOrk
12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Pete owns a restaurant in sussex, and his brother owns one here in West Allis ( Hong Kong Buffet )

They weren't turning much of a profit, seems every customer uses the line " I can get it for HALF that on ebay! "

Not only that, but they are looking for a shop they can INSTALL the products they sell with, and the location they had obviously wasn't space friendly. They haven't given up just yet.

Pete rents a stall in the same shop space I rent a stall in, and he is often there trying to get me or Steve to do side jobs. Hes good ****, and so is his buisness partner Paul!

sloLs1
12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
i hear there may be another shop trying, but the money isn't in parts like you said, it's in labor/install and at a reasonable price. that's what this shop will do. midnight tuning was more of a hangout, and in business, you can't have a ton of people just HANG OUT there. got to be doing something and continually working/moving to earn money

you definatly can't make much of a profit just selling parts. you need too do installs to like what you said^^^. I hope everything can work out for those guys!

Berettaspeed
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
exhausts and intakes are polly the only things kids can put on their cars. if you can get someone to make them fast and cheap. you may be able to make some money but not in the "long run" you need more serious work. have a nice little repair/upgrade shop would be a good mix. cars always break.

Junky Giorgio
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
cars always break.

Edit: "DSM'S always break" :chair:

T-Bag
12-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I didn't even know that place did anything but have a bunch of people play xbox/playstation 2.

Oh wait...they obviously didn't.

I love their restaurant out here in Sussex though (Main Moon). Very good food for a good price.

Berettaspeed
12-01-2005, 10:59 PM
the last time i went in there they were looking at car pics online. LOL i needed some fittings for my oil setup. i should have known, they had nothing i could use, let alone anything else besides body kits and tail lights. and maybe a filter or 2.

damn that would have been cool to have a GT4 contest or something there. i would have went there to take everyones money. to help fund the "broke beretta fund" LOL

see if someone could REPAIR cars GOOD, and know what they are doing as well as mod knowlege......BAM money!! but comebacks from your modding will not be good. though it does suck fixing up peoples F-ups and rigged back yard jobs... and getting things done on time always helps

WilliamZ
12-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Edit: "DSM'S always break" :chair:

Only when not maintained and abused.. :chair:

EVIL AWD
12-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Only when not maintained and abused.. :chair:

So is that why yours always broke Chris? :goof You set yourself up for that one. :)

WilliamZ
12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
So is that why yours always broke Chris? :goof You set yourself up for that one. :)

They break but they get fixed quickly ;)

One reason Nate-

http://images7.fotki.com/v130/photos/4/446466/1572924/PICT0012owned-vi.jpg

:goof

TopStreetDsm
12-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Owned!

Waver
12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
The problem is that there isn't many shops around milwaukee that will work on cars as well as sell parts...Borcharts told me that if I wanted them to install gears in my mustang (the one thing I wont do) Id have to remove the rear axle out of the car....somthing that I cant do when it is my daily driver

pOrk
12-07-2005, 11:39 PM
The problem is that there isn't many shops around milwaukee that will work on cars as well as sell parts...Borcharts told me that if I wanted them to install gears in my mustang (the one thing I wont do) Id have to remove the rear axle out of the car....somthing that I cant do when it is my daily driver

Now that is the most retarded thing I have heard a shop say. They cant do it at the shop and charge a few extra bucks? I cant believe shops turn down as much work as they do for stupid reasons such as this

EvolvedRegal
12-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I was thinking of opening my own shop at one time but Pete's businees made me think other wise. If you can't make it 2 years on HWY 100 it will most certainly be a business failure. You need a good customer base with a cult type following, prices are a huge factor. Bart was not an owner there he just helped out, I talk with him every so often and the reason why he left all of a sudden is because he didn't like they way it was run. It seemed like a highscool hallway every night.

But yes they didn't do installs, well they did but not very well. I had their "mechanic" put in a clutch for me, since I didn't have the the time, well needless to say a 1k clutch is now a paper weight due to an improper install.

Also to run an aftermarket business it must have an internet site so if walk-in's are slow for a month or so you still have the website out there, plus its advertising that counts also. If I wanted to go hang out somewhere my ass is at the bar.

Im sure Bee is making somewhat of a killing since Hyperformance closed down, granted they pretty much sucked anyways. Jake well it's Jake nuff said. Those are the 2 main import shops in town. Revtek was a friggin joke.

Cryptic
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the net has alot too do with it. Online prices and tutorial/walk-through write-ups enable those willing to try.

Syclone0044
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I think every car guy has entertained the idea of opening his own shop. It sure sounds attractive... "We'll get paid to work on cars and get free/discounted parts and have a place to do our own hot rodding!" Who wouldn't rather get paid to work on hot rods than do whatever shlt work they are getting paid to do now? I know I sure would. Unfortunately, nowhere does the rule "80% of new businesses ultimately fail" apply better than with performance car shops. How many fly by night, come and go shops have gone and went just in our area alone? There has even been a handful of shops with skilled operators that still bit the dust. There just doesn't appear to be a very high or constant supply of people willing to pay market prices for performance modifications.

My advice to anyone considering opening a shop would be to stop and consider whether or not you really, really, really have a great reason why your shop would succeed where so many others have failed. It also seems like shops that specialize in a specific area tend to do better. Shops that "do all makes of cars, doing everything from oil changes to drag motors" are too generalized to ever attract a core customer base.

My two cents.