PDA

View Full Version : Canon Double Triple Rebate offer

Cryptic
11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Canon has a rebate offer out right now the: Double/Triple Rebate (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Promotions/CIWC_101505_ClaimForm.pdf) so a few bucks to be saved if you get all your gear at once.

Anyone wanna go in on a order with me so we can qualify for the triple rebate.

I'm looking at 2 lenses right now.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens
I'm so tired of slow lenses right now. I want more flexibility indoors. f/4-5.6 just doesnt cut it. L series, you never hear any complaints about these bad boys, other than their price tag. If you know of another lens that offers like performance and wont cost me my left testicle, speak up!

and possibly the EF 50 1.4U

my current setup:
Canon Digital Rebel XT/350D
Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS f/4-5.6 lens

jbiscuit
12-01-2005, 07:35 AM
just buy the lens andy. I'm sure you will love it

SMS 1
12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
ANDY! STOP!!! No doubt the 70-200 f/2.8L IS is awesome (and quite honestly on my list for before June) but for indoors? WAY too narrow and tight. I got a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX and it rules for indoor low light stuff (I think I paid $379 w/shipping). Also not to be knocked is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkII (Paid like $139 used for mine, as they are out of production). It's rated as one of the SHARPEST canon lenses and ranks right up there with L glass. f/1.4 is nice when you are shooting at a distance in low light but you can easily get wierd "ghosting" and "doubling" going that low in aperature. f/1.8 is golden for indoor stuff. Now get a 580EX Speedlight and you'll really be in business :thumbsup

PS- I am also going to be ordering a Sigma 12-24mm f/4-5.6 EX in the next month. Slow f# yes but at wide angle it doesn't hurt you as much. That thing will be money for photojournalism and wedding PJ shots though, usable 19.5mm effective on our 1.6 crop sensor cameras :shades

Cryptic
12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
well I still wanted a big zoom lens too. 85mm cuts me short often too.
But I think I will add that Sigma to the list :thumbsup

That EF50 1.8 II is like 79 bucks now. It doesnt qualify for the rebate, but hell its dirt cheap. Do you miss the lack of the USM though?

So maybe lose the EF50 1.4 and add the 1.8 and the sigma :thumbsup
I'm still debating spending the money.

The 580 flash was already on the list. E-TTL II w00t
along with a possibly a manfroto tripod & 329RC4 Low Profile 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head w/ Quick Release

Which bring up another good question. What light weight tripods are out there that you like? I like the idea on backpacking one like J does.

I've been doing alot of research on this site.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
nicely laid out and people seem half way intelligent about their reviews.

Edit --
Is this the 50mm lens you are refering too?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=12142&is=USA
B&H doesnt list the MKII just II. Wondering if that is still same thing.
-----

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
i want to get a longer lens as well. ive been looking and looking and cant decide.

im also limited to using my dell credit card on dell.com they have a big selection though.

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 12:56 AM
is this one any good?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0540530&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=2&items_per_page=25&orderby=final_price&sortdirection=&image_flag=True&show_summary=True&category_id=6096&brandid=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Pageb4Search=&ModelSelection=&iCompatid=&selectiontypeids=&l=en&c=us&cs=19&SubmitSearch=&servicetag=&ManufactSelection=&ModelName=&category_name=&RPU=&reset=False&k=&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&InStock=&refurbished=&fe=

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 12:58 AM
few more i was looking at...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0540544&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=2&items_per_page=25&orderby=final_price&sortdirection=&image_flag=True&show_summary=True&category_id=6096&brandid=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Pageb4Search=&ModelSelection=&iCompatid=&selectiontypeids=&l=en&c=us&cs=19&SubmitSearch=&servicetag=&ManufactSelection=&ModelName=&category_name=&RPU=&reset=False&k=&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&InStock=&refurbished=&fe=

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0540528&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=2&items_per_page=25&orderby=final_price&sortdirection=&image_flag=True&show_summary=True&category_id=6096&brandid=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Pageb4Search=&ModelSelection=&iCompatid=&selectiontypeids=&l=en&c=us&cs=19&SubmitSearch=&servicetag=&ManufactSelection=&ModelName=&category_name=&RPU=&reset=False&k=&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&InStock=&refurbished=&fe=

Cryptic
12-02-2005, 01:06 AM
is this one any good?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0540530&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=2&items_per_page=25&orderby=final_price&sortdirection=&image_flag=True&show_summary=True&category_id=6096&brandid=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Pageb4Search=&ModelSelection=&iCompatid=&selectiontypeids=&l=en&c=us&cs=19&SubmitSearch=&servicetag=&ManufactSelection=&ModelName=&category_name=&RPU=&reset=False&k=&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&InStock=&refurbished=&fe=

it got a 5 of 10. Just be looking at the range I think that lens it trying to accomplish way to much.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=183&sort=7&cat=37&page=1

jbiscuit
12-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Dave, stick with Canon lenses!

Andy, get a Manfrotto tripod! You won't regret it! I have the 3001PRO with the 3030 pan/tilt head. I LOVE IT! Check ebay for the legs and buy the head around here.

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 08:47 AM
canon lenses are pricey though...

hey andy...i just bought my camera so that should count for one of the items right? i havent sent in my rebate yet would be nice to triple it!

jbiscuit
12-02-2005, 08:55 AM
yea they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Do it right the first time. I sold my non-nikon lenses for a reason.

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
sms 1 has a couple sigma lens...so do quite a few others...i dont know about half of those review sites...i love how like everyone is like this lens is junk blah blah and then a couple people post pics and it looks very sharp and nice.

example sigma 24-135mm

"The far bigger problem is the image quality though. Not that it's really soft (nor really very sharp) but the contrast is just way sub par. Images usually look very washed out to a degree even photoshop won't really help a lot. Also it flares a hell lot even with the included lens hood. Don't let the sun come even close to this. I suspect the contrast issue is due to the massive flare actually cause the only quite good pics I got were product shots with very soft light. AF was actually very fast for a non USM/HSM lens but tends to hunt a bit."

"I bought this lens because of the zoom range but I was really disappointed because it is so soft (and believe me, I did a lot of 'experiments'). Build quality is not what I expected from Sigma, autofocus is loud and slow.

A real disappointment!"

then two guys post these for examples of pics taken....
http://gallery1905.com/details.php?image_id=323
http://morrobayphotos.com/Sigma/24-135/

makes it very hard to decide...im sure the reviews are fantastic on the kit lens ::rollseyes...so im sure spending 200-400 bucks i will get a better lense the one i have right? maybe not. maybe ill just save and wait and get a canon lense.

jbiscuit
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm speaking from experience. Save up and buy the Canon glass. Don't listen to me if you want....what do I know anyways... :durr

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
u have had "sigma" lenses...on your "canon" camera and have been unhappy with them?

its not a matter of not listening to you...im just trying to find something that is nice and not a lot of loot and trying to figure out if it is really necessary to spend the extra money on a canon lense that get crappy reviews too. it seems if u dont have a canon L lense there all junk...well i dont want to spend 700+ i should be able to find something for less that is good i would think.

Cleveland Dave
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
i know what your getting at its just like buying things for your car....

kooks headers vs. pacesetter headers...

just trying to point out that sometimes u can get stuff for way cheaper and be happy with the results. kooks are high quality...pacesetter is best bang for buck. both have similar gains...but whatever.

i just dont want to spend big $$ yet but i want something that works and is better then what i have.

jbiscuit
12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
u have had "sigma" lenses...on your "canon" camera and have been unhappy with them?

ha ha ha ha, this is a hilarious post Dave. You won't hear any advice from me on this subject anymore. Since you know everything, Good Luck! :rolf

Cleveland Dave
12-05-2005, 09:17 AM
i knew you would like that....i know u said u had a bad experience with your tamron lens not being so great on your camera...and that sticking with canon lenses would be better because they are made for the camera....ive read many bad reviews on canon non "L" lenses so it makes me wonder how good they are...and is sigma a good option since there both not rated that great...why pay more?

Cryptic
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I like my EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS for the most part. I've been in a few low light situations where I just needed something else.

That lens was $600, so it wasn't like it was cheap either. But its not "L".

Cryptic
12-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I jsut read all the fine print on the rebate form. They want a photo copy of a filled out warranty card.

This idea may not work out, as Canon will know its 2 different people. (Unless one of us fills out warranty card as other person.)

I'd be leary about doing that on a $1700 lens

SMS 1
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Sorry Andy I screwed up I meant the Mk I metal mount lense . . .

And Fred always has some good stuff on his site ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EF-50mm-f-1-8-Mark-I-Metal-Mount-EOS-20D-10D-lens_W0QQitemZ7570953329QQcategoryZ4687QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave, extra range zooms like that tend to be soft and slow. Andy is basically right in the fact that they just simply try to do too much. I would stick to two lenses instead. I don't remember what type of camera you said you have but I'll assume it is a D-Rebel or similar. You can get away perfectly fine with some of the standard "kit" lenses for these because the smaller sensor size uses the center of the image circle which is where lenses are the clearest. I'd buy a couple of Canon or Sigma plastic base lenses and start from there. You really shouldn't need to spend more than 2-300$ to get it done ;)

Cleveland Dave
12-09-2005, 09:27 AM
ok looks like ill just get the double.

np.

SMS 1
12-09-2005, 09:38 AM
After re-reading a bit I should say this . . .

J is right that you get what you pay for. IN NO OTHER PLACE is it more true than with lenses (unfortunately :( ) however, that being said if you are not shooting professionally or making HUGE prints you will probably be happy with some cheaper lenses. Many of the people reviewing lenses are seasoned shooters who have been able to use either better or worse glass than what they are reviewing. The average Joe usually wont spend the time to do it and/or doesn't know what to say about it anyway. And even if they do a "Pro" will usually come along and tell them they don't know what they are talking about.

Two big things here. #1 what exactly are you looking for in a lens? If you need low light capability it's not going to come cheaply at all. And if you do find something cheap that does say f/2.8 the pics will probably be VERY soft or considerably distorted (unless you are using a 50mm f/1.8 either MkI or II).

#2 How serious are you? If you simply want a good range of focal lengths and a reasonably clear picture then "plastic" beat-around lenses are perfectly fine. I have shot some really decent stuff with my cheapo ill-rated plastic Canon 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5 EF II and 70-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II lenses in the past. These lenses can easily be both found on eBay for under $100 for the pair.

As far as the Sigma lenses go I have been pretty happy with them. The first cheapo one I had (a 24-70mm f/3.5-5.6 HF Aspherical) worked great for over 2500 exposures before getting a little sloppy in the focus tube and cost about $65. My new lens (Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG) is great but it set me back about $400 and 82mm filters are pricey and hard to find locally.