PDA

View Full Version : New tire help!!

JC70SS
11-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok guys, these Michelin Energy tires on the GTP are dangerous!! I need a good all season tire that will get me through the snow. If this car is this bad in the snow I will buy an F-body for the winter.

Crawlin
11-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Hoosier makes a great all around tire... called the Quick Time Pro. i didn't know there was anything else? hahaha

Prince Valiant
11-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I highly recommend dedicated snow tires. You could probably get a package with winterforce tires and steel wheels for the cost of 4 new "allseason" tires (~350-400 bucks)

Then switch back in the summer to your current wheels and tires since they probably aren't that bad in the warm and wet stuff.

Car Guy
11-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Well you 2 beat me to it, 'nature' was calling......but here's what I already had typed.......

Honestly any other all season tire is not going to make that BIG of a difference if you still have good tread. If yours were bald it would be obvious that new or good used tires would make a difference.

Have you ever thought about snow tires?

Even if you have to have them changed on/off twice a year it's still worth it. BUT, the best way to go is to have dedicated snow tires/rims. Not only do you save on mounting/balancing twice a year but you save your alloy rims from corrosion. Which if driven in snow (and of course SALT) will eventually happen no matter how often you wash them. Also, you could put a more ‘performance minded’ tire on your summer tires not having to worry about the winter conditions.

Many people think that snow tires are a waste, but once you've tried them you'll never go back. I know I won’t and I have a dedicated set for every vehicle I own, and that’s five!!! I have literally had more control with snow tires on a FWD (and sometimes RWD) vehicle than most 4-wheel drive SUVs more times than I can count. Not so much getting going because a 4x4 has four wheels turning, but when it comes to stopping/maneuvering there’s no match. And who’s drag racing in the snow anyways?, it’s always the stopping (or lack of) that will send your insurance rates up……..

SlowStee
11-25-2005, 09:17 PM
I will buy an F-body for the winter.
yeah right :rolf

my rear-end drifts sideways in the snow, when im not on the gas at all

JC70SS
11-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Actually I am going to get winter tires. The dunlop W-M3 or some shat like that. Now the question is.....can I run them up front only??

Car Guy
11-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Get all 4, I tried doing that once (just because I was too lazy to put on the backs) and the back end started to kick out on me when I stopped hard. That's because the traction in back was that much less than the snows on the front. Now I'm just curious, but why the Dunlops.....?

Prince Valiant
11-26-2005, 12:08 AM
It's specified to NEVER run just 2 winter tires...they should always be run on all four corners.

Joe, I'd recommend Winterforce tires from the tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS). I'd recommend 215/65R16...you want a narrower tire for snow duties...they recommend about two sizes smaller. The higher aspect ratio offsets the narrower tire, so the OD of the tire is roughly the same as your 225/60R16's

Priced, mounted, balanced and shipped to your door was 501 dollars for new wheels and tires.

Those winterforce are far and away the best winter tire i've ever used...and they are far more cost effective to boot. The only tire to outperform them that I've seen are the blizzaks...only because blizzaks do better on the ice. On snow, it's equal for as near as I can tell.

Give tirerack a call, and they'll set everything up for you in less than 5 minutes.

Car Guy
11-26-2005, 08:11 AM
I havent tried the winterforce yet but they sure look like they would work pretty good, and very reasonable $$$ too. What vehicle do you have them on......?

Prince Valiant
11-26-2005, 09:57 AM
My Jeep Grand Cherokee, AWD. I've been a fan of snow tires for as long as I've been driving, but the combination of AWD, and a really good snow tire is amazing.

The only problem is, I used them even over the summer and of course, the tread wear is pretty quick. Even now that they are somewhat worn, they are still exceptional relative to regular tires...not AS good as last year, but still, quite good. I've got to rotate these directional tires though...

Anakonda69
11-26-2005, 10:38 AM
no u should run all 4,,,i got the hookup with tires from pomps out here in new berlin....bliazzaks are good

Car Guy
11-26-2005, 12:44 PM
AWD plus snow tires IS the ultimate combination, I came across someone that put blizzaks on their Subaru Outback. My father owns two Subarus and they would kick a** in the snow with bald all season tires, but with snows, I can't imagine......!!!

STEALTHZR2
11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Prairie tire in waukesha has good cheap tires. There off of sunset. Down the road where the DMV is.

Slow Joe
11-26-2005, 02:43 PM
I had Blizzak WS-50s on my Mustang two years ago, and nothing could stop it... GREAT TIRES!! They're for sale if anyone's interested... But that's a whole different post... lol (for 15" rim, can't remember the size... will post later) But yeah, I completely reccomend the Blizzaks... Best tire in the snow I've ever had... Even got my Mustang to make it through without getting stuck... I didn't even have weight in the trunk...

GrimreaperSS
11-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I would also recommend going with a dedicated snow tire/rim package. But if your looking for an all season, go with Nokian WR. This is the only all season tire with a snow tire rating ( the little symbol on the side of the tire that looks like a mountain with a big snow flake in front of it ). I have these tires on my 02 cavalier and couldnt believe the enourmous difference it made in winter driving. If you purchase a dedicated winter tire. I say get their new Nokian RSi. Made for more of the kind of conditions we have around here. I intall so many snow tires this time of year, save yourself or your mechanic the headache and your money, and buy wheels with the tires. Even if you get steelies or a really cheap set of aluminum wheels from somewhere like tire rack. If you want to check them out, go to Nokiantire.com(USA) or Nokiantyres.com(Europe). The only two places that sell them, that I know of, are the dealership I work at (Concours Motors) and I have seen them out at Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc. In my opinion, they are better than Blizzak. How can they not be, the company has only ever made snow tires (they're based in Finnland) until recently, now they are also making summer tires http://www.nokiantyres.com/nokian_tyres_group_en. You can also purchase them from a place called Greer Enterprises, Their # is on Nokians Dealer Locator.

theavenger333
11-27-2005, 11:35 PM
along with all the good stuff above, i'll mention, with the power and torque of the GTPs and their FWDness, no all season has a chance. a buddy had a set of mostly winter dedicated all seasons, even those had trouble. like they all said, snow tires are the only hope for GREAT traction. i actually thought my GTP was very good in the snow last winter overall. i just drove around with the traction control off in large amounts of snow

phast eddie2
11-28-2005, 08:23 AM
I had Blizzaks on my last fwd and those things were unstoppable in the snow/ice. I swore it felt like I was driving a 4wd with the amount of grip they gave you. My factory tires lasted 4 years due to the fact that I was swapping them for the winter months. To make it even better, I sold the blizzaks/rims after owning them for 3 years and got good money for the package when I was done with them!

Fugger! This is Yooformula.

GRNDNL
11-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Bring the sheeeevelle over, a little work with a plasma cutter and a 31X10.5 Mud TA would fit nicely............ :durr

Do the Blizzaks on all 4 corners, might cost a little more up front but will save you a couple of tows and a insurance deductible......