PDA

View Full Version : Man do i hate the new jeep 3.7L

bluejeepbro19
11-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the new 3.7 that will be coming out in 07 jeep wranglers instead of the mighty 4.0L straight six?
My opinion is as follows: The 4.0L/4.2L is the second most legendary engine of all time behind the GM 350. It would be crazy for me to think of working on a 3.7 instead of the 4.0L, i have become so acustomed to the straight six that i know them like the back of my hand. besides the fuel milage, nothing is better about the 3.7 compared to the 4.0L., plus i am a very traditional man and i like to keep things the same way, i personally will stick to my 87-95 yj's and will never support the 3.7. (no doors are the way to go). P.S. i hope all the soccer moms out there are happy because they now get 2 more miles to the gallon

Lash
11-23-2005, 04:03 PM
This the same motor thats now in the Jeep liberties tight?

If so my sister in-law gets about 13-14 mpg in hers...lol.

animal
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM
The 4.0L/4.2L is the second most legendary engine of all time behind the GM 350.

Not so sure I agree with that at all. The 350 aside, I can think of a whole bunch of engines that people would/could name WAAAY before that one. I'm sure some would name it, but I would hardly call it the second most legendary engine of all time.

Red97GTP
11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
HEMI. Guaranteed the most well known American engine.

animal
11-23-2005, 05:42 PM
HEMI. Guaranteed the most well known American engine.

The crown for most well known engine I think is really up for grabs as well... it would really depend on the people you ask. the hemi would be top 4 on just about anyones list tho.

6L chevelle
11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
3.7 came out to replace the 3.9L v-6
it does a great job compared to the 3.9 in power, mpg.

the 4.0L has many problems, don't even what to think how many heads i've done

Prince Valiant
11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the new 3.7 that will be coming out in 07 jeep wranglers instead of the mighty 4.0L straight six? It's a good, efficient engine. Won't quite have the low end of a 4.0, but overall torque would be about the same. It's 3/4th's the Mopar OHC 4.7v8, which is a very good small v8. There may be a 3V version coming out for the 3.7, since one is on the way for the 4.7. There a new 4.0v6 that is on the way...but I haven't seen if it'll be slated for the wrangler.

The 4.0L/4.2L is the second most legendary engine of all time behind the GM 350. I know and love the 4.0 too...mine's got over 275,000 miles without so much as even doing a valve job on it....but outside of off-roading circles, no one much cares about them.

i have become so acustomed to the straight six that i know them like the back of my handIt shouldn't have taken you long to learn the back of your hand, so it shouldn't take long to learn the 3.7.

besides the fuel milage, nothing is better about the 3.7 compared to the 4.0L. Actually, horsepower is as well...torque, they are rated about the same, but the 4.0i6 is underatted as far as torque goes...most dyno's show 240ft-lbs. But averaging the torque thoughout the rpm range, the 3.7 is superior.

i hope all the soccer moms out there are happy because they now get 2 more miles to the gallon Soccer moms buy wranglers? :goof

The 4.0 is past it's time though....It needed replacing. Not that it wasn't a bad engine...it was just that newer OHC, 4V designs were running circles around it as far as HP and efficiency goes. There wasn't a whole lot more one could do to redesign the heads...all that could be done, has been done.

I just wish that they had kept an the i6 arrangement, as an inline arrangement has advantages over that of a "V" arrangement with regards to power and harmonics. But, when you look at development cost, etc, it easy to understand why the "new" v6 is just a cut down v8. Cheaper to develop, cheaper to produce...

I wouldn't worry too much bud...I've heard that the next generation wrangler will be different in two main regards. 1. There will be a 4 door version of the wrangler. 2. There will be a v8 version of the wrangler. Yep, that's right, a v8! Now, is it the Hemi or the OHC 4.7, I am not sure...but be sure, a v8 version WILL be coming.

bluejeepbro19
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
As far as i know there are many types of hemis (426 - 5.7 and so forth), so it cant be a single engine that is known, it is a great group of engines now, the 426 may be legendary but it is not more well known then the straight six. The 3.7 is a liberty engine and should have stuck to the liberty, in my opinion. I have to agree with the thought of certain people naming certain engines, some people are gm, some ford, some chrysler, and some ricers, i suppose it depends on who you are. My main point in this thread was how jeep is getting away from tradition, i am just hoping for the return of the 4.0L, And trust me there are many soccer moms driving wranglers now.

Rocket Power
11-24-2005, 04:47 PM
As far as i know there are many types of hemis (426 - 5.7 and so forth), so it cant be a single engine that is known, it is a great group of engines now, the 426 may be legendary but it is not more well known then the straight six.
I think you've spent too much time with other Jeep owners. Other than Jeep owners no one knows/cares about the 258 or 4.0 I-6. Even my grandma knows about hemi's :goof

Prince Valiant
11-24-2005, 06:01 PM
the 426 may be legendary but it is not more well known then the straight six.
What in the hell are you smoking?!? Whatever it is, it must be good! :thumbsup

I don't recall any comercials stating "Yeah....it's got a 4 liter in it!" :rolf

Better yet:
http://www.jonreep.com/albums/1st-Commercial-%28Muscle%29/sweet2.jpg
That thing gotta straight six?!? :goof