PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage advice

subliminal1284
11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I need some advice on winter storage, my car will not be on the road but I have no place to shelter it from the cold, snow and ice. Putting it in a storage unit is not an option. What steps can i take to protect it as it sits in the driveway. I am from FL and I have never even seen snow until just today so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup

Yooformula
11-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Can you spare $30a month? I think SLOWC5 is still hosting winter storage and its cheap too!

Otherwise, fill the gas tank, fresh oil change. Depending on how long it wont be driving, remove the battery, maybe a car cover make sure everything is sealed up so no rodents get in and throw some air freshner in there. I would put it up on jacks with the weight of the suspension on the stands not hanging and remove the wheels or use some crappy ones for storage.

STEALTHZR2
11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Prepare for RUST

SLOWC5
11-16-2005, 06:42 PM
anyone that has a nice car, that cant afford 30 a month for heated secure, dry storage, shouldn't own a nice car;)

do what Yoos said if you cant store the car

JEFF

Prince Valiant
11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
I'd just get the car in the air on jackstands as high as you can, and get a good fitted tarp to keep it covered and protected from the elements. Becareful if you salt around your car, or if salting occurs around your car.

You'll probably want to take the battery out and keep it elsewhere. Might also want to take the rotor from the distributer (if so equiped) so that it's unlikely someone comes in with another battery and tries to steal your car.

By keeping it high in the air, and as well, not driving it, you'll be doing alot to shielding it from winter's worst.

subliminal1284
11-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Its not that I cant afford it, Its that it is being kept at my house until I completely pay it off. The owner lives hours away in IL so I really cant move it until then.

PB86MCSS
11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about rust unless someone is literally salting the car. True moisture won't help it but as long as its not being driven on salty roads/salt sprayed, thats the most important thing. But like is said, $30 a month for good storage is well worth it....save up a few extra bucks and go that route, IMO. Keeps it dry and safe from who knows what, theft/nature, etc.

If you jack the car up I'd have it held up by the suspension, so the suspension has some pressure on it and the wheels don't hang, if possible.