PDA

View Full Version : did struts and now...

Cryptic
11-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I did 4 new struts on Maggie's 97' sunfire this weekend. I know it needed an alignment before. The right front tire was wearing badly on the outside. Left side looked good. I rotated the rear wheels to the front.

I told her to put couple hundred miles on it before we have it aligned. The car just doesnt feel right at all. Seems real nice on a smooth road or going through a corner. But if you hit a bump it is really jarry and noisy. Driving though Oak Creak roads is a nightmare. Really disapointing after spending half of Sunday putting them on. (there not much different than the ones I put on my grand prix and I dont have these issues).

I re-used the stock springs. Could this be the problem? It's like there isnt sh!t for dampening. I dont think the alignment is going to cure the issue I am having.

What do you guys think?

Ohh and where's good place on a front end alignment?

A B4C Z
11-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Possibly upper strut mount very common the the j-body and the malibus
kyle

Cryptic
11-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Well I did new strut bearings in the front. The mounts didnt look tooo terrible. But I guess its possible.

Slow Joe
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I know that Jen's '97 Cavi makes some noises b/c the isolator between the spring and the strut is gone... It was a rubber isolator. I know that my mustang had them, and I found what was left of hers. But the way I look at it is that it has 130k and it don't compromise safety, and heck if the radio is up you can't even hear it. Her tires were wearing weird and I had the guys at work (EVS P/B) look at it and they told me to replace the dr. side lower ball joint, and no problems since.. Did ya check j body.org? Most of the guys there are very helpful... They've helped me with a buncha problems with her car.

Russ Jerome
11-15-2005, 11:45 PM
With the weight of car on ground confirm upper strut nut is tight.

With weight on ground have someone joust suspention and try
and watch area between mount and tower for movement. Some
FWD mounts are set up at angle of top of strut tower, installing
offset to angle will cause it to seperate quickly.

High camber in a FWD chassis will cause all kinds of wierd feelings
as suspension cycles. The camber tries to load up and bind strut
while tire tries and walk away from axis. The upper strut bearing
is just that, a bearing that needs to see 360* load as it sits in a
soft rubber bushing.

Was there a replacement washer for between mount and strut
supplied with struts? The goofy looking bowl shaped one. GM
used one style, changed it and aftermarket supply ones for
there cartridges.

Zkid14
11-15-2005, 11:51 PM
We have a few real good techs at Firestone, lazer hunter alignment machine, I could get you the alignment for $60, I'm at the one in Brookfield. Hopefully you will solve the other issue first tho

-Matt

Cryptic
11-16-2005, 12:29 AM
With the weight of car on ground confirm upper strut nut is tight.

With weight on ground have someone joust suspention and try
and watch area between mount and tower for movement. Some
FWD mounts are set up at angle of top of strut tower, installing
offset to angle will cause it to seperate quickly.

High camber in a FWD chassis will cause all kinds of wierd feelings
as suspension cycles. The camber tries to load up and bind strut
while tire tries and walk away from axis. The upper strut bearing
is just that, a bearing that needs to see 360* load as it sits in a
soft rubber bushing.

Was there a replacement washer for between mount and strut
supplied with struts? The goofy looking bowl shaped one. GM
used one style, changed it and aftermarket supply ones for
there cartridges.

I'll check for movement. When I installed them, I mounted the top first, pulled on the lower arm, put the 2 big bolts through, and then tightened the top 3.

The struts didn't come with anything other than a new top lock nut.

I replaced the strut bearings (only required in front on J-body's).

I should also mention the tires that were roated from the rear and suspect. They are probably not the best performing tire, especially when it comes to road noise. But this problem seems more than tires. I guess I am going to have to pull it off and try replacing the mounts.

Lash
11-16-2005, 01:34 PM
It's the mounts. I've been through the same thing. I tried just replacing the bearing because it was alot cheaper than the entire mount assembly. I should have just done the whole mount to begin with.

Cryptic
11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
It's the mounts. I've been through the same thing. I tried just replacing the bearing because it was alot cheaper than the entire mount assembly. I should have just done the whole mount to begin with.

crap... more work

Lash
11-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes sir. And aren't the stuts fun to get back in. :)