PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio, which one ?

Rocket Power
11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
I am going to get either XM or Sirius after the new year , but can't decide which. For those of you that have it, which one do you like more ?

Anakonda69
11-14-2005, 09:54 PM
i have heard sirius is way better...choice of stations as well has reception

HITMAN
11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
I have XM. No problems with reception at all. I don't know how many subscribers Sirius has, but XM has just eclipsed the 5 million mark. Number of subscribers = company health. Also, XM is installed in far more OEM auto manufacturers (GM, Honda, and now Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai) cars than Sirius is. XM also has plans to broadcast in Canada, shortly. Sirius may be nice, but it is the Betamax of satellite radio. You don't want to invest in a dead horse, do you?

Cryptic
11-14-2005, 11:29 PM
My dads truck has XM. I love borrowing his truck... I normally tune into the comedy channels. I enjoy a good laugh while driving. Keeps my road rage to a minimum.

fireguyrick
11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I have XM. No problems with reception at all. I don't know how many subscribers Sirius has, but XM has just eclipsed the 5 million mark. Number of subscribers = company health. Also, XM is installed in far more OEM auto manufacturers (GM, Honda, and now Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai) cars than Sirius is. XM also has plans to broadcast in Canada, shortly. Sirius may be nice, but it is the Betamax of satellite radio. You don't want to invest in a dead horse, do you?

DaimlerChrysler, Ford and BMW are SIRIUS’ exclusive automotive partners, and their production represents over 40% of the new cars and light trucks sold annually in the United States. SIRIUS radios are currently offered in vehicles from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jeep, Lincoln-Mercury, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Nissan, Porsche, Scion, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Sirius is at around 3 million subscribers, NOT including the 10 million dish network members that get Sirius radio. So, I really think that the investing in a dead horse is very accurate.

That being said, I think both are here to stay for some time. I have Sirius, mainly because they had more Electronic/Dance stations then XM, however, they may have the same # now.

Rick

Syclone0044
11-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Sirius may be nice, but it is the Betamax of satellite radio. You don't want to invest in a dead horse, do you? Brett, since I typically respect your arguments, I feel the need to point out an error in your logic here. I would classify your statement as using the fallacies of a Hasty Generalization as well as an Appeal to Intimidation/Fear. Neither of which can be logically used to prove a point in an argument.

Also, I follow the satellite radio companies somewhat and I don't think you've proved that Sirius is a dead horse or a dying technology. In fact their CEO just made a statement a few weeks ago how they expect Q4 to be a "blowout" quarter. I think the victor remains to be seen.

Karps TA
11-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I've had Sirius now for a year and love it. Wouldn't want to live without it. Howard Stern comes on Jan 1st. It's going to be wild. He's already doing some programming on his 2 stations he has. Also Bubba the Love Sponge will be coming on.

Sirius has NFL games and a whole NFL dedicated channel.

Their music channels are all pretty good. Rawdog comedy channel kicks ass. It's all uncensored comedy.

Both are going to be around awhile. The one thing I think XM does have going for it is they seem to have nicer portable equipment then Sirius does. But if your getting a deck that is sat capable I think it's a wash then.

Flight_740
11-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I have XM. I like it. Firerick, we have 3 electronia stations now.

I believe sirius has more sports than XM does but XM still has like 40 stations just for sports as well. I even have in car audio of every nascar race and thats pretty cool to listen to. :thumbsup

I would say XM but I have never heard sirius to put up a good argument.

juicedimpss
11-15-2005, 10:30 AM
I like my xm,but havent been around sirius to really compare...

UnderPSI
11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I have XM and I have had Sirius. XM has better sound quality I think. And now it seems like they just keep adding more stations to it. I have the Pioneer portable XM and I love the thing. It came with a house kit a car kit all kinds of docking stations and mounting options. I have it in my living room right now and it has never lost reception. You are told to put the antenna by a south facing window but with XM I just have the antenna on top of the TV no where near a window. I could never do that with Sirius.

Flight_740
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I have the roady 2. I bought it for $100 but now you can get it for $50. thats pretty cheap.

Yamahachick02
11-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I love my xm. I would suggest it.

pOrk
01-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Everyones opinion still stand on these radios? Perhaps an update? I am looking to buy, but was thinking it may be cheaper in the end to purchase an XM ready revciever to install in my truck and won thave to deal with mounting the extra unit as well as have pre-outs for future expansion

PureSound15
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
XM has commercials now, and since they retired half of their satlites the quality is nowhere near what it used to be (Which was never cd-quality to begin with).

I have XM... and never listen to it just my $.02

pOrk
01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
If it has commercials now then why the heck are they still charging? That seems like a rip off of local radio now?

H8RADE
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I would drive without a windshield before I would drive without my Sirius radio.
:thumbsup

88Nightmare
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
XM kinda turned ghey. It came factory in my silverado so after the 3 month trial ran out I renewed it. It was nice for cross country trips, didnt have to keep hitting seek in hopes to find a decent local station. I could listen to the same XM channel anywhere. But after awhile I noticed their reception started getting worse and worse. All 12 of my XM presets along with a small handful of additional channels started getting commercials, which ticked me off. I was paying for commercial free shit, snow that theres commercials, whats the point of paying anymore? So I dropped it.

EDIT: I also havent tried Sirius for comparison, but now that I no longer have the factory radio, Im thinking about buying a Sirius tuner.

juicedimpss
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
XM has commercials now, and since they retired half of their satlites the quality is nowhere near what it used to be (Which was never cd-quality to begin with).

I have XM... and never listen to it just my $.02

that drove me crazy,paying to listen to commercials.

pOrk
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
So XM is out, hrmmm

MoCkiN U
01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
XM has ESPN 1000 as a channel so all the shows I listen to on my drives now on AM are on there. Just another thought if anyone else listens to that station for sports talk

Slow Joe
01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Aren't XM and Sirius owned by the same company now??

pOrk
01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Yes, run seperately though and the channeles are not shared ( yet anyways )

H8RADE
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I have a Sirius Stiletto 100 that I will sell for $100 in a week or so.
For another $20 I will toss in the car dock and a remote antenna for it.
Records 100 hours of songs, and stores MP3s.
Getting a new Sirius deck.

Rocket Power
01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I had XM and dropped it last fall, just cutting back on some things for a bit. They didn't have commercials on the music channels then, do they now? It was just the comedy channels and such.

I had both a portable unit in my car and a sat ready radio in my truck. Unless you are going to take the portable unit out and use it other places besides the vehicle ( I used to take it into work because I had an extra antenna that I left there) , get the sat ready radio.

vdub4life
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
i got sirus cuz xm doesnt have nfl stations,i heard there both going to merge thou.Dont know if its true.:banana

Karps TA
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Aren't XM and Sirius owned by the same company now??

No they are not. They are trying to merge into one company, but the govt has not allowed them to yet, if at all. Terrestrial radio is doing everything they can to block the merger because they see it as a threat. The govt is too corrupt to see the merger as the best thing for Sat radio survival and refuse to look at Ipods, CD's, MP3's etc as competition to Sat radio.

Reverend Cooper
01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
xm ftw!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleveland Dave
01-26-2008, 10:44 PM
i have had a sirrus satelitte radio for a little over 2 years now. i love it! great for finding new songs to download too. and i get it free now for some reason...i had cancelled it due to not having a car for awhile...and when i plugged it back in 6-8 months later it still worked and has been for the last year without paying :-)

havent tried out XM to compare...