PDA

View Full Version : Telescopes

Silver350
11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

My mother and I are planning on getting my dad a telescope for his 50th b-day in december. My father always enjoys sitting outside and staring up at the sky, and my mom told me he always wanted one but never wanted to put up the money for one. Seeing I know nothing about them I was wondering if anyone came across any stores that sells them. The only places I know of is American Science and Surplus and Greenfield news and hobby. I was wondering if there are any other places that you might of seen them so I have an Idea were to go to do some window shopping.

Thanks in advance for the help

jbiscuit
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Telescopes are for millies. Buy him a sledgehammer or a chain saw so he can fvck some stuff up.

ChevelleBabe88
11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I thought i saw some at Gander Mountain once i haven't been there in a while but i bet they do.

Cryptic
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm going to have to agree with yellow wagon.

I got to imagine you have to drop serious coin to get any kind of glass that is going to make the sky more interesting.

Prince Valiant
11-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Buy him some weed...makes the sky a HELL of alot more interesting, lol. Hell, it makes a 20 dollar bill interesting too!

Joking of course (not really) but discovery world in mayfair has some telescopes for sale as well...

Al
11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Go to hobbytown USA. They are most likely going to give you the best price. I go to Greenfield N&H often, but have found them to be overpriced (compared to hobbytown). Stay away from American Science and Surplus, they seem to have more junk than quality products.

HITMAN
11-11-2005, 12:53 PM
How much are you looking to spend and what kind of features are you looking for? A Dobsonian reflector will give you the most bang-for-your-buck in the light gathering sense, but they are a no-frills 'scope and most lack the sophisticated Go-To drives that make it easy for beginners to find objects in the night sky.

For a nice beginner 'scope, you can get a smaller Meade 5" Newtonian reflector 'scope that has this type of Go-To mechanism built in, at Walmart for around $350. This is probably the best feature laden 'scope for the money that I've seen available locally.

Again, it depends on how much you are looking to spend and what features you want.

Go HERE (http://www.telescopes.com/index.html) to browse around and see what different brands and types of telescopes are available, what kinds of features they come with, and what the prices are.