PDA

View Full Version : Ford Lightning feedback

Russ Jerome
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Looking to replace my tow vehicle, no heavy hauling just a
light car on lighter trailer with elec brakes.

Narrowed search down to an 01up model from what I see
online. Driven two at dealer lots and pretty happy with the
ride and power. Any suggestions on failure problems? Right
now I am leaning towards a 40k mile 01, already has class
3 hitch and new rubber (perfect winter vehicle I know).

Crawlin
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
BOSS LX tows his stang with his lightning. i really want one to tow my camaro with.

you mean '01 w/ 40k miles right? not a 91.

how much have you been seeing them go for?

Nix
11-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Stupid question, but wasnt the first year of the lightning in 94'? or a year or two sooner?

Crawlin
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
i thought so too. that's why i was making sure.

BOSS LX
11-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I use mine as a daily driver-tow vehical.

Works great for both!

Plus they look badass!

Russ Jerome
11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Ya I am sorry, its an 01. 99-04 is supercharged later models with
the 01 ups more desirable for 3.73 and better intercooler and some
other stuff I dont recal. Still researching but truck looks like a winner.

T-Bag
11-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I haven't heard too many bad things about them. Obviously they have decent towing capabilities if BOSSLX tows his car around with it.

animal
11-08-2005, 09:40 PM
01+:
clear tail lights/ corners/ headlights/3rd brake
Intake manifold/intercooler update
90mm maf
aluminum driveshaft
3.73 gears
bilstein shocks

03-04
cylinder head update any casting after 12-11-02 (i think) - they had 8 threads for spark plugs instead of 4
they also had an extra leaf in the suspension as the payload was increased from 800 to 1300lbs (towing capacity didn't change at 5k lbs)
brushed inner door handles
textured leather steering wheel
in dash 6 disk changer (used to be behind the seat)
fog-light update (don't get heat cracks)

I don't think I'm leaving anything out, but it's all from memory.

Go with a 03-04 if you can... get those new cylinder heads... they were flawed in all 4.6/5.4 when they had 4 threads they're known to blow spark plugs and you'd have to helicoil or do an insert to fix it.

I haven't had one problem at all with my 01 in 50k miles. The only reason it was ever at the dealership was for an alignment, the passenger rear tail was fogging up so they replaced it, and the fog lights were heat cracked so they replaced those for me too. The only time it didn't start for me was once when the idle air control was all dirty and sticking on me. I cleaned it up and shortly after replaced it. 2 Screws, no big deal. Other than that, it's been a very, very reliable automobile.

You may or may not want to stay away from ones with a ton of rubber in the wheelwells. Also check to see if there was a chip installed on the pcm (the contacts will be scraped clean, from the factory there's a conformal coating over them). Also, if you buy one with an aftermarket pulley already installed, you'll want to make sure that the truck is tuned for it before going nuts with it. A lot of people with handheld tuners or chips, remove them on trade-in, never say anything to the dealer, and the truck is running lean with the factory programming due to the upped boost. These trucks don't take detonation well AT ALL, but as long as you keep them happy, they'll run like no other factory pickup.

I'll just say BEWARE in the snow.

The best mpg I ever got was 15... normally 11.

latenightcustom
11-08-2005, 10:07 PM
01+:
clear tail lights/ corners/ headlights/3rd brake
Intake manifold/intercooler update
90mm maf
aluminum driveshaft
3.73 gears
bilstein shocks

Clear tail lights are ricy :loser

They are cool trucks. They are fast but tires will be expensive and you will get sh*ty gas mileage.

Cryptic
11-08-2005, 10:25 PM
has class
3 hitch and new rubber (perfect winter vehicle I know).

How you figure? A nice truck 2wd truck, with lots of power. Ohh and through some salt on it too.

:durr

Prince Valiant
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM

They are cool trucks. They are fast but tires will be expensive and you will get sh*ty gas mileage.
Are you stalking animal? dude, you are crazy. :banana1:

Russ Jerome
11-08-2005, 11:49 PM
You may or may not want to stay away from ones with a ton of rubber in the wheelwells. Also check to see if there was a chip installed on the pcm (the contacts will be scraped clean, from the factory there's a conformal coating over them). Also, if you buy one with an aftermarket pulley already installed, you'll want to make sure that the truck is tuned for it before going nuts with it. I'll just say BEWARE in the snow.

The best mpg I ever got was 15... normally 11.

Being a mechanic and a gearhead the first thing that botherd me
was CAI,Flowmaster,ect. Ya know with every little bolt on guy(s)
had to pound it more :( My cars all have rubber in wheelwells and
I didnt even think to check, great point! Another tip off to
the age of last owner was "Here Hemi ,Hemi, Hemi" in back window"

Is the potting that covers PCM quickly visible? When I modify
Mopar computer we have to remove/disassemble to access.
I have financing so maybe I will try and sneak truck back to
my shop for more a thorough inspection before commiting.

Man that mileage sucks......oh well got to get to GLD after
work in summer early!

Russ Jerome
11-08-2005, 11:51 PM

Thats the first thing that goes, bet any kid will swap me
for his OE F-150 lights on the spot ;)

DirtyMax
11-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Stupid question, but wasnt the first year of the lightning in 94'? or a year or two sooner?

The first run of them was 93-95 I do believe.

animal
11-09-2005, 08:11 AM

Knew that was coming :rolleyes:

Why do you think I swapped them out for red ones already butt-nugget? :punch:

Teufelhunden
11-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I got my :popcorn

animal
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
On a side note, hankook came out with a 5th tire option in the stock lightning size and they sell for like 135 bux! Other options are the toyo (165) Nitto 555 (200) Eagle F1 (210) and the BFG (250+). Of course for the back, the 555R is hard to beat though word is that mickey thompson will be coming out with a drag radial that will fit the stock rim and basically outperform the nitto in every way.

Jsho13
11-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Never seen this before but I would definately love to have this truck
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-150-4x4-Offroad-w-Lightning-Supercharger-Engine_W0QQitemZ4587271080QQcategoryZ6219QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

animal
11-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Never seen this before but I would definately love to have this truck
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-150-4x4-Offroad-w-Lightning-Supercharger-Engine_W0QQitemZ4587271080QQcategoryZ6219QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

"Tuned and tweaked the transmission"
???? :eek:

All that sounds like is that they put a handheld programmer on the otherwise stock f-150 tranny and changed the shiftpoints and line pressures. Nevermind that gearbox just won't hold up that long to the extra torque of the L engine. That's why they put an actual reworked diesel trans in the L. I'd bet they still have the original f-150 rearend in that truck too.

Sorry man, that one to me it just sounds like problems waiting to happen especially with how undocumented it seemed at a glance.

BLUTO
11-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Great daily-driver truck. Also w/ 450tq stock, its more than a match for most 'fast' cars out there-many here have found out :headbang

Only complaints are, ricer tail lights
poor gas mileage 13-16mpg
factory rods go bye-bye @ 500ish rwhp.
needs stronger brakes too

animal
11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Only complaints are, ricer tail lights

My standard red tails cost me $35 shipped for the pair ;) They should come with both tho heh.

Rocket Power
11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I wanted a Lightning but we bought the Screw because it had more room for the family. How different are the Lightning and S/C Harley Screw engines ?

Russ Jerome
11-10-2005, 06:51 PM
I wanted a Lightning but we bought the Screw because it had more room for the family. How different are the Lightning and S/C Harley Screw engines ?

Good question, now that the wife is on board with me getting
a lightning she is looking at them. Similar price used, seams odd
you get more vehicle for same price (the supercharged ones that
is)?? Just want the Lightning for myself to tow car to track but even
tho she rarely goes with she pushing the HDSC.

BOSS LX
11-10-2005, 07:04 PM
There is a 03 or 04 hd at holz.

animal
11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
The harley trucks are basically a supercab lightning with 20" wheels, only 6psi (instead of 8 in the lightning), rear left exiting exhaust, and the obvious trim differences. They are very nice trucks as well. Stock for they're good for mid-low 14's if you try hard enough. I also watched one with 14 psi run low 13's with slicks.

But as far as I know, the drivetrain is identical, plus a few feet of driveshaft... not sure if the stock driveshaft on the 02-03 harley truck was aluminum or not though. Not that it matters anyways. I would also look for a head casting number after 12-11-02. You can find it inside the drivers wheelwell on the bottom of the head I believe without removing the wheelwell shield.

animal
11-10-2005, 07:19 PM

02-03 were the s/c 5.4

the 04 was a superduty

BLUTO
11-11-2005, 12:32 PM

Holz has an 03 Lightning-charcoal and an 03 Harley truck-black both are supercharged. , pm me if you want to know more. ;)

Russ Jerome
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Holz has an 03 Lightning-charcoal and an 03 Harley truck-black both are supercharged. , pm me if you want to know more. ;)

So you must know Mary G, talked to her on phone and sounds
cool. The 04 she has is 24,900$ 9k miles, crew is 23,900$ and 30k
miles.

Quick rundown of local Lighnings available:

01 highly modified black 43k mile for 17,900$
Very fast but chips and scratchs.Hummer dealer
on 45/good hope.New rubber and hard cover.

02 with LOTs of mods at Darrow Nissan Wauk, 13k
miles for 22.900$. Silver in color. Worth price.

Silver 00 at Caddy dealer on Bluemound for 22k$

Red 01 at Ernie's in Lamira (s) for 22,900$ with 20k
miles very nice but dry rotted skins.

I am done looking, my bank is trying to wedge a large
% up my @$$ and I am not liking the way it feels with
vacation and X-mas ahead. Dealers are trying not to
budge, aparently the Lightning is a great snow vehicle
and they dont need to sell cars in present buisness
climate......sales down 37% new/used for Oct.

Rocket Power
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
That does suprise me that they aren't really dealing, esp on a 2wd truck right before winter. Sorry to hear that.

Slow Joe
11-11-2005, 08:47 PM
The one at our Lomira store was down here for a while too... Nice truck... They wanted it up there becasue too many people wanted to "look" at it here in the falls... lol It's been around EVS Country for a few days... Who'd ya talk to at the ford store? The lightning is an awesome truck though :drool:

I don't deal with the ford store much, but from what I get out of them they think their cars are solid gold...

BLUTO
11-12-2005, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Russ Jerome]So you must know Mary G, talked to her on phone and sounds
cool. The 04 she has is 24,900$ 9k miles, crew is 23,900$ and 30k
miles.

Yes I know Mary G. - shes a class act, and the hardest working person Ive ever known- and beautiful too :wooo If youre seriously interested Id give her a call.

The grey lightning @ holz is 1 owner completely stock under hood, the Harley is 100% stock too. A modded one would be fun, but you know it was hammered on- I beat the hell out of mine daily :durr

Crawlin
12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Yes I know Mary G. - shes a class act, and the hardest working person Ive ever known- and beautiful too :wooo If youre seriously interested Id give her a call.

my personal opinion does not change